Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love that Hutcherson's going to go against Griffin, Ayo, DMW and possibly Tev. Practice should be a war.
Although it would be great to have him.this year. This quote is a great reason to sit out a year, learn, add 25 lbs or more. And play against better players
We should need him even more with the departure of Kip. Feliz, and likely Ayo. I think this is a great way to use the scholly, develop a player so we can continue to improve in 20-21.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Although it would be great to have him.this year. This quote is a great reason to sit out a year, learn, add 25 lbs or more. And play against better players
We should need him even more with the departure of Kip. Feliz, and likely Ayo. I think this is a great way to use the scholly, develop a player so we can continue to improve in 20-21.

Agree w/everything, but the bolded. 25 lbs, for a guy weighing 175 is very unrealistic. If he adds 15, I'll be happy.

Agree w/everything, but the bolded. 25 lbs, for a guy weighing 175 is very unrealistic. If he adds 15, I'll be happy.
I think at 6'6" he could but who knows? I'm just curious as to what Tev or Griff added. Was griff that slim? He is a little older and with his starting weight being so low at 175 I didnt think a half pound a week is much. I'll ask my buddy who has been the training center director in for a established rehab and Acceration Sports Fitness program for nearly 20 years his thoughts. My degree is in Sports Admin but he knows much more about this than I do. I would think your starting weight, metabolism and frame would have a huge impact on how much muscle he or anyone could add if focused.

Last edited:
I think at 6'6" he could but who knows? I'm just curious as to what Tev or Griff added. Was griff that slim? He is a little older and with his starting weight being so low at 175 I didnt think a half pound a week is much. I'll ask my buddy who has been the training center director in for a established rehab and Acceration Sports Fitness program for nearly 20 years his thoughts. My degree is in Sports Admin but he knows much more about this than I do. I would think your starting weight, metabolism and frame would have a huge impact on how much muscle he or anyone could add if focused.
He said you are correct. He said about 15 lbs. Unless he is on a diet like some are of marijuana and donuts! Like some kids are.Then forty pounds would be no problem! Seriously, 190 would be a good goal for him in a year. Let's see if Fletch can beat the norm.

Nice to get a commitment. Very good pickup

It’s a highlight tape, but when i see some of the stuff he’s doing in that video, makes me wonder why he wasn’t at some low major somewhere on a flier.

It’s not always about athletic ability. Sometimes there are non basketball reasons to play JUCO

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
We should probably temper our expectations here. He could be a solid player, but a Division III transfer is not likely to be a star in the Big Ten. I mean, most D I mid-major transfers we get end up being pretty average (at best) Big Ten players, and D III is a huge step down from mid-major.

This may be a dumb question . Soon can he enroll? Is he playing up there this year or is he enrolling asap and sitting out in 19? I assume asap. I wish he could hustle and go to Italy!

The article make it clear, he will enroll and be a redshirt this year. Guessing he can't go to Italy, although maybe he came with packed bags. Might have encouraged his quick commitment. It would've worked for me.

Guessing that there was no binding paperwork he could have signed to put him on the plane. Verdonk isn't "enrolled", taking classes, but he has signed for the designated scholarship (kind of out of my depth here). Would be great if he could go, and if he could, work seem that he could play. Could come in as a sharpshooter.

I’m hoping that after a sit year, he can bring essentially what AJ did his last two years (3 and D, upperclassmen leadership, etc). I hope there’s too much talent in front of him to replicate AJ’s actual numbers, but to bring similar ability. And in this case, he cut his teeth elsewhere rather than with unproductive/freshman learning curve in our games. Sounds like a huge win if he can do it - doesn’t need to be a star.

We should probably temper our expectations here. He could be a solid player, but a Division III transfer is not likely to be a star in the Big Ten. I mean, most D I mid-major transfers we get end up being pretty average (at best) Big Ten players, and D III is a huge step down from mid-major.

Agreed. But every Illini fan should be excited about this commitment because we've been asking for something like this for years now. Find a guy you like early, a guy that you can probably get relatively easy. Now BU can go hard after Miller, Curbelo, and co. without quite as much pressure. This is the type of guy Groce needed to get before striking out on Evans and Brunson.

Disagree. IF BU is excited, so am I.

And, I think BU has cast aside this temper thing. Hopefully for good.

GO IILINI.

I-L-L ....

Disagree. IF BU is excited, so am I.

And, I think BU has cast aside this temper thing. Hopefully for good.

GO IILINI.

I-L-L ....

BU went like 53-1 in conference or something at sfa and still screamed at his team like it was their fault his dog died.

Some coaches are just screamers.

BU went like 53-1 in conference or something at sfa and still screamed at his team like it was their fault his dog died.

Some coaches are just screamers.

I have not met the dog yet (granted, difficult if it indeed died), but I think his screaming, not to be confused with what I posted earlier - excited, will reduce. Just heard Giorgi say that they no longer practice in slow-mo. That by itself has to reduce BU BP.

So, back to my position. No need to temper anything.

And, we are nearly there. In two days, with this team playing a few hours ahead of our sleep cycle, we should know how they do.

Hang tight.

True, BUT I put alot of stock into what other schools were after him. In this case, Notre Dame, Creighton, Marquette. That says a lot.

Scottie Pippin agrees. His athleticism, free throws, 3 point shooting is very good. He will be fine in the BIG.

Sit one, play two. Gives him the year to develop, see how he completes in scrimmages. It's not like that Schollie was going to get used otherwise. It's a smart play by the coaches.
He still needs to earn the scholarship, filling the scholarship now means you miss a shot at a midyear transfer should one become available. It will look smart only after he contributes.

Scottie Pippin agrees. His athleticism, free throws, 3 point shooting is very good. He will be fine in the BIG.
He was DIi but I agree. We shouldve tempered them.for GB too. We should for Verdonk too but I'm not. I live the eye test on bn other and they both can shoot. I could careless where they are from. When I listened to Ayo and BU i think it's clear they are high on Verdonk. Also as mentioned this DIII kid had other solid offers and our staff was on him first. Thank Goodness! Do we not learn there are a lot of great players that are overlooked by power 5 coaches coming out of high school every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.