Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 645583

D
Those are decent-sized gyms for D3 schools. Larger than IWU’s anyway.
But I think Illinois Wesleyan's gym is very nice. I was there for Special Olympics basketball tournaments. Good-looking place - that Sikma Center. And when I first visited, I had no idea Jack was an alum. How did Illinois miss out on him? Geesh.

Welcome, Austin! I agree with previous poster that you don't judge a recruit by his NCAA division status, but by his talent and those schools who were also going after him: ND, Creighton, Marquette - not too shabby a list. Very wise decision, young man, to be an Illini. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is suggesting we use a ride on a practice player.
Ok I'm sorry. I thought it said to take a flier on a guy and if it doesnt work out we need a tall guy for practice to challenge Kofi, GB and Guards at the rim. I would prefer have that not be in the thought process either in handing out schollys. I want players that can challenge for minutes thier first year like top programs do.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Ok I'm sorry. I thought it said to take a flier on a guy and if it doesnt work out we need a tall guy for practice to challenge Kofi, GB and Guards at the rim. I would prefer have that not be in the thought process either in handing out schollys. I want players that can challenge for minutes thier first year like top programs do.

We're blessed with VG-excellent 4 and 5 starters. Finally!!! Not much room there for new guys to get tick (heck, Kane left and he's not a new guy). Having quality understudies is a very, very good thing.

We're blessed with VG-excellent 4 and 5 starters. Finally!!! Not much room there for new guys to get tick (heck, Kane left and he's not a new guy). Having quality understudies is a very, very good thing.
We disagree. I dont think Kane was going to be B10 ready for years. Maybe another power 5 conference team will think otherwise but I doubt it.I think we have better and can recruit better more skilled players. We need basketball players that are good athletes not good athletes that arent skilled basketball players imo. It's nice if they are skilled and very tall but 6'8or 9 with size is fine. We are seeing more and more of that as we progress and improve as a team.

Last edited:

Deleted member 645583

D
Recruits and their families/coaches aren't going to push them towards programs that are unstable, and struggling with identity and culture.
We finally have no issues with those things and can focus on winning. They will come, they will most definitely come.

67uq.gif
[/QUOT
One of my favorites, James Earl. And my favorite: Burt Lancaster as Moonlight Graham - who was a real ballplayer and became a doctor in Chisholm, Minn. Great movie. Nonsense, of course, but so is Wizard of Oz and a lot of great movies.

Message to Coach and staff: Keep up the good work: they (recruits) will come.

P.S. My ending for Field would have been a single car with a nuclear family arriving at Ray's ball field.. Daddy says: "I hear there's a game tonight."

Ray says: "You never know" or something like that.

The bumper-to-bumper traffic was overkill in my book.

I have a good feeling about Illini basketball.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I don't want to give anyone a scholarship for practice. Maybe take a walk on for practice. I hope we are still after Kalbrenner but the staff has done much better after the first year handing out schollys. That first year was rushed. I hope players we recruit going forward can legitimately challenge for playing time.
The kid from Bloom is gotten a lot of attention lately correct? Are we in on him?

That would be Audie Mathews. Helped bring the O&B program back from the bottomless pit..

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
We disagree. I dont think Kane was going to be B10 ready for years. Maybe another power 5 conference team will think otherwise but I doubt it.I think we have better and can recruit better more skilled players. We need basketball players that are good athletes not good athletes that arent skilled basketball players imo. It's nice if they are skilled and very tall but 6'8or 9 with size is fine. We are seeing more and more of that as we progress and improve as a team.

Not interested in a Kane rehash, am well aware of how you feel. Only cited him as an example that there are meager minutes available at the 4 & 5 spots (the next 2 seasons, anyway). While this class' bigs may see little time in year 1, hardly makes them "practice players" for their entire careers.

Not interested in a Kane rehash, am well aware of how you feel. Only cited him as an example that there are meager minutes available at the 4 & 5 spots (the next 2 seasons, anyway). While this class' bigs may see little time in year 1, hardly makes them "practice players" for their entire careers.
Plenty of minutes avail at 4& 5. Need at least three guys for the two positions just like Ayo, Trent, and Dre at the 1 & 2.

Deleted member 645583

D
That would be Audie Mathews. Helped bring the O&B program back from the bottomless pit..
I (Illinois native) was existing in CT when I heard Audie was an Illini. The name was something special to me: as in Audie Murphy. Thanks to both Audies! Where is Illini Audie now? Check out "The Unforgiven" moive - Burt, Audie, Audrey - a great job by Audie Murphy.

I hope Illini Audie is well.

Look man we’re not getting finished products as bigs to come here. As skilled as giorgi is we sacrifice run/jump/quickness. As much of that as samba had we sacrificed skill and strength. The total package bigs are 5 star 1 and dones and don’t consider illinois right now. Eventually we have to develop somebody somewhere. A 6’10 guy who is not a twig and has some mobility is a good place to start. The benefits that guy can bring right now is mostly to practice and the fact that he’s 6’10 and can move. Gives our guys who are playing real minutes a good look. Eventually, and what shouldn’t need to be said, is that you hope your coaches develop that guy enough to where what strengths he came in with, combined with what he developed as he was here, turned him into a really good player who helps in games.

I have seen you jump on people for saying Giorgi appears to be at his ceiling because he has great skill but is limited athletically. Yet in the same breath you act like athletic guys who aren't as skilled yet can’t develop at all. Nobody should be the same player at the end of their career that they were when they got here. There is more than one way to develop players and more than one type of player to develop.

I think there are plenty of minutes. GB and Kofi wont always play together. They actually play separately as much as much as together. We will have to wait and see. Kofi will likely only play the 5. How many minutes I dont know. I'll guess 25 to 30. GB should get most of the rest. I am excited to see what BK can do. I think the new recruit in Verfonk at 6'8" 235 is a good fit to play the 4 or 3 along with Tev and Kip.
I really hope we can get Kal because there are minutes there and I think he is a skilled big man.

I think there are plenty of minutes. GB and Kofi wont always play together. They actually play separately as much as much as together. We will have to wait and see. Kofi will likely only play the 5. How many minutes I dont know. I'll guess 25 to 30. GB should get most of the rest. I am excited to see what BK can do. I think the new recruit in Verfonk at 6'8" 235 is a good fit to play the 4 or 3 along with Tev and Kip.
I really hope we can get Kal because there are minutes there and I think he is a skilled big man.
Although remote, it’s possible that both Giorgi and Kofi leave if we have a good season.

Look man we’re not getting finished products as bigs to come here. As skilled as giorgi is we sacrifice run/jump/quickness. As much of that as samba had we sacrificed skill and strength. The total package bigs are 5 star 1 and dones and don’t consider illinois right now. Eventually we have to develop somebody somewhere. A 6’10 guy who is not a twig and has some mobility is a good place to start. The benefits that guy can bring right now is mostly to practice and the fact that he’s 6’10 and can move. Gives our guys who are playing real minutes a good look. Eventually, and what shouldn’t need to be said, is that you hope your coaches develop that guy enough to where what strengths he came in with, combined with what he developed as he was here, turned him into a really good player who helps in games.

I have seen you jump on people for saying Giorgi appears to be at his ceiling because he has great skill but is limited athletically. Yet in the same breath you act like athletic guys who aren't as skilled yet can’t develop at all. Nobody should be the same player at the end of their career that they were when they got here. There is more than one way to develop players and more than one type of player to develop.
I apologize but I dont think jumped on anyone. I was just discussing points of view. I don't know what athletic guy I liked that lacked skill that you are refering to either. I think GB is very athletic. I will argue that. To say he isnt athletic just doesnt make sense to me. There is a lot more than just vertical leap to being an athlete. His hand eye and feet coordination are outstanding. Im not going to debate that again.
Anyway it's ok to have different points of view. As far as ceiing I dont think anyone on our roster that us working hard is close to thier ceiling. What do you think BU would say? By asking that question doesnt mean I'm jumping on anyone. I hope you realize that. I am enjoying the discussion and how it reflect to who and why we recruit who we do. Go Illini. I am glad we have BK too i think he has skill

Last edited:
But I think Illinois Wesleyan's gym is very nice. I was there for Special Olympics basketball tournaments. Good-looking place - that Sikma Center. And when I first visited, I had no idea Jack was an alum. How did Illinois miss out on him? Geesh.

Welcome, Austin! I agree with previous poster that you don't judge a recruit by his NCAA division status, but by his talent and those schools who were also going after him: ND, Creighton, Marquette - not too shabby a list. Very wise decision, young man, to be an Illini. Best of luck to you.
Sikma was a late bloomer. I think he was 6-6 or 6-7 when he was a HS senior at St. Anne and grew to 6-11 and bulked up and developed his skills even more. Had a very good coach at Illinois Wesleyan in Coach Dennis Bridges

Last edited:
I could be wrong but, the kid is not from Illinois Wesleyan.

5 minutes after Sikma's high school career ended in an Assembly Hall loss, Harv Schmidt said he would be at Sikma's HS at 8AM on Monday. We wanted him badly,
however much like Jerry Sloan at McCleansboro, Larry Bird at Indiana, some kids just don't feel comfortable on a big campus.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
5 minutes after Sikma's high school career ended in an Assembly Hall loss, Harv Schmidt said he would be at Sikma's HS at 8AM on Monday. We wanted him badly,
however much like Jerry Sloan at McCleansboro, Larry Bird at Indiana, some kids just don't feel comfortable on a big campus.
It's McLeansboro, my hometown....

Deleted member 8896

D
His sister was a student at IWU too at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.