Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Welcome to the Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

It's a good thing there is no pay-day lending program for official visits.

370guu.jpg

Last edited:

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'm sorry, but a major conference basketball player transported into smarty-pants New England college D3 should be torching everybody, not scoring 12 points a game, even as a freshman.

Aaron Jordan (the kind of player we'd want Hutcherson to be) would be clowning teams at both ends at that level.

Deleted member 643761

D
I'm sorry, but a major conference basketball player transported into smarty-pants New England college D3 should be torching everybody, not scoring 12 points a game, even as a freshman.

Aaron Jordan (the kind of player we'd want Hutcherson to be) would be clowning teams at both ends at that level.
Hey, if the coaches want him, I'll accept that until I see differently on the court.

But I tend to agree with you. That recruitment doesn't have me excited one bit.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL

Duncan Robinson averaged 17 a game as a freshman in the same conference. Better, but not dramatically so. Both were FOTY as well. The stats, tape, and competing schools (Creighton and Notre Dame) imply a solid but not spectacular add. And it's not like we don't have scholarships to give away. But of course, he's still a D3 player, so skepticism is warranted.

Who do you think we will/should use those OVs on and what do you think the top priorities for the class are?
With Samba + Ayo likely both off the roster by 2020 we have 5 Scholarships to give. What do you think a realistic recruiting class looks like?

Here's my crack based on everything I've been hearing in the Illini echo chamber.

Top Priorities:
1. Replacement for Ayo + Andres, ready to contribute in 2020.
2. Big man (5) depth / future starter
3. Wing (3/4) depth with departure of Kipper and to add to Bezhanishvili/Jones
4. 4 year guards to provide roster stability

2020 Dream Recruiting Class:
Pick 2: Nimari Burnett/DJ Steward/Adam Miller/Andre Curbelo
Ryan Kalkbrenner
Addison Patterson
Keon Ambrose-Hylton

2020 Realistic Recruiting Class:
Strikeout on Kalkbrenner AND Patterson
Pick 1: Nimari Burnett/DJ Steward/Adam Miller/Andre Curbelo
Luke Kasubke
Austin Hutcherson
Marcus Watson
Grad Transfer 3 pt shooter

2020 Pessimistic Recruiting Class:
Strikeout on Burnett, Steward, Miller, AND Curbelo

Luke Kasubke
Austin Hutcherson
Marcus Watson
Taj Thweatt

Top 15 Targets (where I think the OVs should be used):
Austin Hutcherson
(6-6 / 175 / #N/A)
- C
urrently on campus and anyone on campus should always be our top priority! Could replace Feliz with huge contribution off the bench. With more height and an outside shot could be even more impactful than Feliz. I hope the OV goes well today and we land our first recruit in August.
Nimari Burnett (6-3 / 185 / #23), DJ Steward (6-3 / 165 / #27), Adam Miller (6-3 / 170 / #29), Andre Curbelo (6-0 / 155 / #59)
- Would be huge for the program if we could get Ayo to the NBA and replace him with one of these guys and start building a reputation as a place for 1AD guys.
Ryan Kalkbrenner (6-11 / 210 / #77)
- Probably wouldn't see over 20 minutes until 2022 after Giorgi leaves unless Kofi leaves early or there's an injury. But if Ryan's a 4 year guy he could have starting minutes in years 3 and 4 and be huge for the program. He may go elsewhere if he sees too much competition with Giorgi and Kofi.
Keon Ambrose-Hylton (6-8 / 200 / #81)
- Illinois should always be targeting high talent wing players.
Addison Patterson (6-6 / 180 / #35)
- Seems to be a 2020 recruit. I imagine the blue bloods will start offering during his senior season. Might want to schedule his OV closer to January/February when Illinois is making national headlines this year and is a clear tournament team again.
Luke Kasubke (6-6 / 185 / #158),
- I'm big on Kasubke. Definitely get this man on campus.
Marcus Watson (5-11 / 155 / #183)
- Whether we sign another potential 1AD guard or not, we should also add a 4-year guy to the roster. Even if we manage to keep a steady stream of 1AD PGs and Watson never gets to start, Feliz has shown us the value in having a ball handler that can score coming off the bench.
Posh Alexander (5-11 / 170 / #99)
DJ Gordan (6-5 / 170 / #126)
Karim Mane (6-4 / 195 / #123)
Taj Thweatt (6-6 / 195 / #297)
TBD Grad Transfer 3 Pt shooter

Duncan Robinson averaged 17 a game as a freshman in the same conference. Better, but not dramatically so. Both were FOTY as well. The stats, tape, and competing schools (Creighton and Notre Dame) imply a solid but not spectacular add. And it's not like we don't have scholarships to give away. But of course, he's still a D3 player, so skepticism is warranted.

Even if all he does is backup Trent at PG in 2020 for 8 minutes per game he's a valuable add when we have 5 scholarships for the class of 2020 on the table

Who do you think we will/should use those OVs on and what do you think the top priorities for the class are?
With Samba + Ayo likely both off the roster by 2020 we have 5 Scholarships to give. What do you think a realistic recruiting class looks like?

Here's my crack based on everything I've been hearing in the Illini echo chamber.

Top Priorities:

Ryan Kalkbrenner
Addison Patterson
Keon Ambrose-Hylton

Luke Kasubke
Austin Hutcherson
Marcus Watson

Luke Kasubke
Austin Hutcherson
Marcus Watson
Taj Thweatt

Austin Hutcherson
(6-6 / 175 / #N/A)
- C
urrently on campus and anyone on campus should always be our top priority! Could replace Feliz with huge contribution off the bench. With more height and an outside shot could be even more impactful than Feliz. I hope the OV goes well today and we land our first recruit in August.
Nimari Burnett (6-3 / 185 / #23), DJ Steward (6-3 / 165 / #27), Adam Miller (6-3 / 170 / #29), Andre Curbelo (6-0 / 155 / #59)
- Would be huge for the program if we could get Ayo to the NBA and replace him with one of these guys and start building a reputation as a place for 1AD guys.
Ryan Kalkbrenner (6-11 / 210 / #77)
- Probably wouldn't see over 20 minutes until 2022 after Giorgi leaves unless Kofi leaves early or there's an injury. But if Ryan's a 4 year guy he could have starting minutes in years 3 and 4 and be huge for the program. He may go elsewhere if he sees too much competition with Giorgi and Kofi.
Keon Ambrose-Hylton (6-8 / 200 / #81)
Addison Patterson (6-6 / 180 / #35)
- Seems to be a 2020 recruit. I imagine the blue bloods will start offering during his senior season. Might want to schedule his OV closer to January/February when Illinois is making national headlines this year and is a clear tournament team again.
Luke Kasubke (6-6 / 185 / #158),
Marcus Watson (5-11 / 155 / #183)
- Whether we sign another potential 1AD guard or not, we should also add a 4-year guy to the roster. Even if we manage to keep a steady stream of 1AD PGs and Watson never gets to start, Feliz has shown us the value in having a ball handler that can score coming off the bench.
Posh Alexander (5-11 / 170 / #99)
DJ Gordan (6-5 / 170 / #126)
Karim Mane (6-4 / 195 / #123)
Taj Thweatt (6-6 / 195 / #297)
Staff isn’t sold on Luke or else he’d probably already be committed by now.

Staff isn’t sold on Luke or else he’d probably already be committed by now.

I've never met him or seen him play in person so idk about his personality or work ethic, but his stats and highlights seem on-par with the type of talent we should be looking for. If he's not a good culture fit for our program or some of the other recruits they're eyeing I get it and trust our coaches to make those calls.

Top Priorities:

Ryan Kalkbrenner
Addison Patterson
Keon Ambrose-Hylton

Luke Kasubke
Austin Hutcherson
Marcus Watson

Luke Kasubke
Austin Hutcherson
Marcus Watson
Taj Thweatt

Austin Hutcherson
(6-6 / 175 / #N/A)
- C
- Would be huge for the program if we could get Ayo to the NBA and replace him with one of these guys and start building a reputation as a place for 1AD guys. We might be in really good shape with Burnett and Miller imo...Curbelo is back to the back up plan but at 4* a damn good one.
Ryan Kalkbrenner (6-11 / 210 / #77) Think the Blue Bloods get more involved, but I think we miss either way on him? Just a hunch.
Keon Ambrose-Hylton (6-8 / 200 / #81) Good to recruit, seems to be a stretch however...with Verdonk less of a need fill?
Addison Patterson (6-6 / 180 / #35) 2020 for sure and a heavy Oregon lean...we lose out here.
Luke Kasubke (6-6 / 185 / #158), Quiet overall recruitment....the silence is usually golden for us with BU and staff so who knows?
Marcus Watson (5-11 / 155 / #183) Really would love to have this kid as a 4 year player! Proven guard.
Posh Alexander (5-11 / 170 / #99) ????
DJ Gordan (6-5 / 170 / #126) Could be we are in better shape with him than Steward at this point?
Karim Mane (6-4 / 195 / #123) Probably going PRO imo....skips college all together.
Taj Thweatt (6-6 / 195 / #297) A reach to say the least, we can even in our current state do better.
Offer Mitchell and get him on campus and committed...if we were to offer, I have a felling he could commit first!!

I've never met him or seen him play in person so idk about his personality or work ethic, but his stats and highlights seem on-par with the type of talent we should be looking for. If he's not a good culture fit for our program or some of the other recruits they're eyeing I get it and trust our coaches to make those calls.

Seems to have more of a MVC feel about him to me? Trust staff!

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN

I see your freshman year differently than most, new team, new coach, new scheme. What if the offense wasn't run through him or they considered him a third or fourth option, and he made the most of the opportunities. At Division III, playing off the ball as he did, he is at the mercy of who he plays with, and since he isn't a brute down low, who knows. He shoots well as a percentage, which means he makes the most of what he got. He averaged 20 his second year....6 rebounds. He grew as a player and growth is something that matters. At 6'6", somehow we put him as a back up to Trent at PG? Trent drives, passes back, 3 points.... I see a lot of value in this kid.

Terry Porter played Division III, averaged 2 points his freshman year, NBA player in the end. Not saying we have an NBA player coming, but Division III coaches rule the game, since their players aren't scholarship players.

ILL in IA

Iowa City

1. I'd love to believe we have a shot at both Burnett and Miller and that Curbelo is in the mix as a backup option. I just think it's unlikely that we land more than 1 of these guys and it's definitely possible that we miss on all of them.
2. I agree we'll probably miss on both Kalkbrenner and Addison Patterson. Kalkbrenner is going to be looking at Giorgi + Kofi and isn't going to see minutes available until his 3rd season. Patterson is likely to get a lot more interest if he performs well in his Senior year.
3. Keon Ambrose-Hylton might be a stretch, but Josh Gershon recently wrote an article where he listed Illinois as being in the conversation so I'd like to think we have a shot. Also, while I'd love to think Tevian + Giorgi + Benjamin can lock down the 3/4 role and that we'll be able to add Griffin Jr in the class of 2021, I definitely think we'd be better off if we could add a guy like Keon to that mix.

(https://247sports.com/college/baske...ent-Illinois-Xavier-Dayton-Florida-133469159/ )

I'd rather have guys who leave early to go pro. HRF, Deron, Ayo come to mind....

Ya... me too. That's why the order of my listed priorities has another potential 1AD first and a 4-year guy as the lowest priority.

I see your freshman year differently than most, new team, new coach, new scheme. What if the offense wasn't run through him or they considered him a third or fourth option, and he made the most of the opportunities. At Division III, playing off the ball as he did, he is at the mercy of who he plays with, and since he isn't a brute down low, who knows. He shoots well as a percentage, which means he makes the most of what he got. He averaged 20 his second year....6 rebounds. He grew as a player and growth is something that matters. At 6'6", somehow we put him as a back up to Trent at PG? Trent drives, passes back, 3 points.... I see a lot of value in this kid.

Terry Porter played Division III, averaged 2 points his freshman year, NBA player in the end. Not saying we have an NBA player coming, but Division III coaches rule the game, since their players aren't scholarship players.

Kerr over Gritty on this one.

1. I'd love to believe we have a shot at both Burnett and Miller and that Curbelo is in the mix as a backup option. I just think it's unlikely that we land more than 1 of these guys and it's definitely possible that we miss on all of them.
2. I agree we'll probably miss on both Kalkbrenner and Addison Patterson. Kalkbrenner is going to be looking at Giorgi + Kofi and isn't going to see minutes available until his 3rd season. Patterson is likely to get a lot more interest if he performs well in his Senior year.
3. Keon Ambrose-Hylton might be a stretch, but Josh Gershon recently wrote an article where he listed Illinois as being in the conversation so I'd like to think we have a shot. Also, while I'd love to think Tevian + Giorgi + Benjamin can lock down the 3/4 role and that we'll be able to add Griffin Jr in the class of 2021, I definitely think we'd be better off if we could add a guy like Keon to that mix.

(https://247sports.com/college/baske...ent-Illinois-Xavier-Dayton-Florida-133469159/ )

Why would Kalkbrenner not see time immediately? 4 and 5 = 80 minutes/game. Certainly no reason he should be able to average 15-20mins/game as a frosh. The kid can play some mean D. You could keep Giorgi at the 4 for the most part if Kalkbrenner comes on board, and Tev and Griff play mostly the 3. Verdonk swings between spots and get a reasonable amount of time as well.

Why would Kalkbrenner not see time immediately? 4 and 5 = 80 minutes/game. Certainly no reason he should be able to average 15-20mins/game as a frosh. The kid can play some mean D. You could keep Giorgi at the 4 for the most part if Kalkbrenner comes on board, and Tev and Griff play mostly the 3. Verdonk swings between spots and get a reasonable amount of time as well.

By the time 2020 rolls around I expect Giorgi and Kofi to both be playing 28 minutes per game at the 4 and 5 respectively. Unless Kalkbrenner comes in with a lights out 3 pt shot I don't see him playing any minutes at the 4 so that'd leave him fighting with Kouma for the 12 remaining minutes at the 5. Ryan could definitely get 8-12 minutes his freshman season but it's more likely that he'd see 4-8 minutes and then get ~12 minutes as a sophomore if he can essentially play Kouma out of the rotation all together.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

Good conversation. If Kalkbrenner is good enough, he could be in the 15-20 min/game, backing up Kofi. Giorgi was a 4 (positionless 4, sorry) and would be great to have him spend 30 minutes a game not guarding the other teams 5.

By the time 2020 rolls around I expect Giorgi and Kofi to both be playing 28 minutes per game at the 4 and 5 respectively. Unless Kalkbrenner comes in with a lights out 3 pt shot I don't see him playing any minutes at the 4 so that'd leave him fighting with Kouma for the 12 remaining minutes at the 5. Ryan could definitely get 8-12 minutes his freshman season but it's more likely that he'd see 4-8 minutes and then get ~12 minutes as a sophomore if he can essentially play Kouma out of the rotation all together.

Would you expect it to be any different at Purdue who will have 7'3" Senior Matt Haarms and 6'9" junior Trevian Williams ahead of him? I think we land Miller, Kalkbrenner, Curbello or Watson & Kasabuke, or the wing from Curie who's name escapes me at this time.

Last edited:

drsmitty74

Rochester
2. I agree we'll probably miss on both Kalkbrenner and Addison Patterson. Kalkbrenner is going to be looking at Giorgi + Kofi and isn't going to see minutes available until his 3rd season.
[/QUOTE]

Why would he not see minutes? I would think that with Kane leaving, it opens the door for him to step in and be the first big off the bench as a freshman. None of us know what we have in Kouma, yet. Plus, it seems to me that Kalk's defensive ability puts him ahead of what we have seen in Kouma's limited highlight clips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.