Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like who the staff is going after in 2020...with Miller, Burnett, Watson and many others we will not be striking out on guards. The one I think we would do very well to get is Diarra....that kid is big, physical, high motor. He would be a great PG fit with Miller on the off guard and our wings/bigs coming back. Also another kid from the same region who is a stock riser this summer is Sam Thomson, 6-9 versatile big. Seems like a BU kind of player to me?

I think if you look at where we were in Groce's final year in terms of not only record, but also style of play, offensive system, etc., you can't deny there is improvement almost across the board. The one glaring exception is the W-L columns. That's obviously the most important place we need to see results, but it's hard to deny the improvement in most other aspect of our game, and we saw in that midseason stretch last season where we are headed if/when the team puts all the pieces together consistently.

I, for one, remain optimistic.

You're not alone, I'm with you.

You were??? I mean at times I liked what I saw but overall, it’s stunk. Yes, we have individual players that have been good, but we have played consistently as a team outside of a small mid-season stretch last year.
Agree, by and large we have been atrocious defensively and inconsistent offensively.

tenor.gif

I really like who the staff is going after in 2020...with Miller, Burnett, Watson and many others we will not be striking out on guards. The one I think we would do very well to get is Diarra....that kid is big, physical, high motor. He would be a great PG fit with Miller on the off guard and our wings/bigs coming back. Also another kid from the same region who is a stock riser this summer is Sam Thomson, 6-9 versatile big. Seems like a BU kind of player to me?
I wouldn’t get your hopes up on Diarra.

Torvik's take on Jacob Grandison.

I'm a fan of taking another sit 1, play 2. Especially if he's 6'-6" 190 lbs and gives our current roster better practice time this season. Having the guy spend a year on the bench, working out with our team, and learning our system is going to result in a 2020 contribution that would likely exceed that of any 2020 Freshman we have a shot at signing (this also should not negatively impact our ability to sign Adam Miller or Ryan Kalkbrenner).

Add this guy then try and sign Adam Miller, Ryan Kalkbrenner and one of Addison Patterson/DJ Gordon/Marcus Watson/Luke Kasubke and Illinois will have a really great complete roster by 2020.

As an alumnus from Bloom High School, rumor is 6'10" Martice Mitchell would be interested if the Illini offered him. Is Illinois seriously considering him?
I would hope he would be interested....we would be his best offer....think he would be a fall back option though.

Nimari Burnett to take an OV to Michigan on 9/5.

So he's got Michigan and Alabama on the books. Any other official visits scheduled? I know he wanted to visit Louisville again too. Is there still ro
I would hope he would be interested....we would be his best offer....think he would be a fall back option though.

He’s got offers from Xavier, Minnesota, Maryland, Iowa, Oregon and Ole Miss. Scroll up and read the article on him I posted.

I don't ever get my hopes up over any teenage kid coming to Illinois to play basketball...I do however, get my hopes up about getting to the bathroom in time, remembering what I went into the other room for when I get there, or and occasional rendevous with wife still at my advancing age....lol
LOL. POTD

Deleted member 569417

D
Torvik's take on Jacob Grandison.

I'm a fan of taking another sit 1, play 2. Especially if he's 6'-6" 190 lbs and gives our current roster better practice time this season. Having the guy spend a year on the bench, working out with our team, and learning our system is going to result in a 2020 contribution that would likely exceed that of any 2020 Freshman we have a shot at signing (this also should not negatively impact our ability to sign Adam Miller or Ryan Kalkbrenner).

Add this guy then try and sign Adam Miller, Ryan Kalkbrenner and one of Addison Patterson/DJ Gordon/Marcus Watson/Luke Kasubke and Illinois will have a really great complete roster by 2020.
Division 3 and Holy Cross guys.

Didn’t think we could get worse than Groce. Good lord

Because nobody good ever comes from lower levels? The number 2 pick in the nba draft came from Murray state a couple months ago.

Yes that’s the exception, but talented lower level guys exist. The fact that 1) Former and current high major guys he was working out with were telling him he’s good enough now, and 2) multiple power conference coaches gave him scholarship offers, should tell you all you need to know.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Burnett: we're a lock :ROFLMAO:

(In the event it's not clear (lol), am not feeling it, dog. Feel me?)

I do not think that you could be any farther from the truth. I could not care less from where the players come, so long as they can play / add value to an otherwise empty spot.

This is far from worse; it is actually rather brilliant.

Assuming both are signed, they are court-eligible in 2020, and as such they will, among other things, have a year of team experience under their belts via observing, practicing, and pushing guys like Tevian, Alan, and DMJ (the guys whom we all believe need and will take a large step forward this season) and they head into next offseason ready to compete and build off what is arguably the first of two ... maybe three ... "make or break" seasons for this staff; it also takes some of the focus on recruiting wings should we end up with both transfers. Said transfer(s) will cost us 2020 scholarships, yet will add depth to what could be a very promising recruiting class. Plus, if you look from where these players are transferring, it is almost impossible to question their general intelligence ... whether that translates to basketball IQ is something that we will find out one way or another.

Despite the growth of this program, this is how you build when you are in the position BU finds himself. He entered a program without the cultural relevance of Michigan or residual Blue Blood prominence of Indiana; he did not even have recent successes that he could leverage. So player development and cheeky signings like this and Giorgi are what will drive and augment the success of this team going forward. So as BU and Co focus on bringing a recruiting class containing one or more of Miller, Curbello, Kalkbrenner, Ambrose-Hytlon (I like what I see save for maybe his vertical - maybe it is just the video, but he should have more bounce), etc., they will have one or two players debuting with that class who know the system, can mentor / help integrate into the program whomever we land, and provide further depth from bench; Grandison could also save us a 2020 scholarship, as he could provide the same range and outside presence to further spread the court with his 3pt shot just as well as Kasubke. Hutcherson and Grandison, while physically similar, are two very different players; they may not be the next Steph Curry, but players from small, well-coached schools with teams comprised of intelligent athletes can do big things.

Status
Not open for further replies.