Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Do you want to plan for medicrity?

We hired this coach to get us to prominence. If these recruits get us there great. But I've no use for grabbing guys that keep us out of the cellar but make it harder to play at an elite level

If we pick this guy up it does not impact our ability to add (1)Steward/Miller, (2)Kalkbrenner, (3)Patterson. Tell me how adding Jacob makes it harder to achieve our dreams?

Unless you're aware of a ready to play 2019 recruit, this isn't a relevant point since another sit and play 2 guy now isn't impacting our 2019 season (other than giving our guys someone to practice with).
I was more thinking of the strategy as a long term strategy, not specific to this year.
That's probably why we were seeing things differently.
For this single year I agree that there is no impact at all and in fact having guys at practice is better than not having bodies at practice.

Ma
Any time you fill slots you reduce options for other guys. Yes I understand creaning. But the problem is with mediocre players. They often don't get creamed but get you stuck in mediocrity
Maybe he see things others may not. He was right about GB and Feliz correct? I recall similar doubts like this from many last year too. I have a good feeling about at least the first of these 6'6" 2 or 3 guards that can really shoot and can pass. How is that a bad thing? If BU wants them then go for it. I think he did great Last year and deserves it.

Any time you fill slots you reduce options for other guys. Yes I understand creaning. But the problem is with mediocre players. They often don't get creamed but get you stuck in mediocrity
If they don't cut it, if they can grad transfer I'm guessing they are back in the portal, 1 year tryout at a good university , don't think it's too bad a deal. Its a good year to swing for it.

BU system requires a year to learn. The whole team looks much more comfortable with passing and sets than last year. A top player like Ayo can use individual talent to make up for some of the inexperience with the system.

A mix of experienced college players with a sit year to learn the system is not a bad thing.

BU system requires a year to learn. The whole team looks much more comfortable with passing and sets than last year. A top player like Ayo can use individual talent to make up for some of the inexperience with the system.

A mix of experienced college players with a sit year to learn the system is not a bad thing.

Excellent point.

Well I hope it doesn't require a year. That would certainly set us back in recruiting top players.
Well certainly you want top players but more importantly you want the best skill sets from.those to players to complete the effectiveness of your team as a unit. I am sure there were better players than Craig Hodges or John Paxon or even Dennis Rodman but I think those guys each had unique skills that they excelled at to make the Bulls great when paired with MJ and Pippen and others. The sum of the parts is what I think BU is after. I could be wrong. I dont think Scum or Wisky are allways the most talented teams but together they have meshed and been hard to defeat. I want that from our Illini again.

Well I hope it doesn't require a year. That would certainly set us back in recruiting top players.
Serious players will already be very familiar with system and requirements of what they should be expected to do from watching game film. Executing at D1 level is another story as well. Ayo, Trent and Giorgi did pretty well adapting. With that being said Trent might have been exposed to a lot more expectations last season and been seen as a half step back but in reality doing more just not as obviously. Coaches can put players in limited roles in which they can succeed easier with depth surrounding them. I really like our top nine this season with the caveat obviously needing some 4/5 minutes. Any footballers willing to come in and hang with team, box out , rebound and set picks. I believe I remember MSU doing this a few years back.

illini80

Forgottonia
Well, this makes for an interesting roster construction. I honestly have no clue how all this will play out in the next 3 years. It looks like we have 5 players in the same class for the 2-3 position. I’m sure something will change, but seems odd to me. If we land Miller, which all signs point to, that only leaves 1 spot open next year. Having a hard time wrapping my head around that. Underwood has been talking about keeping an open spot for 5th year guys because you don’t know who might be available. Will be interesting.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If we land Miller, which all signs point to, that only leaves 1 spot open next year. Having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

That's understandable given that Illinois has needlessly and destructively been leaving scholarships open for years now.

1. Sign Adam Miller in November
2. WIN BASKETBALL GAMES THIS YEAR

Do those things, and all the options are good going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.