Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 2019 is any indicator, 2020 will consist of guys who probably aren’t even on the radar today.

Don’t get me wrong, finding a guy like Giorgi is awesome but it’s the exception not the rule. Way too many fliers in recent months for my liking. Could work out, but I don’t think the odds are in our favor honestly.
Well......ND, Maryland and others would disagree about AH. What makes you and others draw these conclusions? I am not giving you a hard time just asking, I trust BU and even Marylands more than some 247 or any service. I dont view this as a flyer at all. Kid can play and i wish he could this year, Was Feliz a flyer? i dont think so and never did. Feliz was arguably our third best player last season . TF and Feliz were are both solid and very close.

Last edited:
BU runs a system that needs these type of players. Having undersized and average athletic players isn't going to cut it.

I thing Ayo, Tev, AGriff, Verdonk, Hutcherson, and this new player fit the system well. Really surprised at how big Verdonk is, and is highly skilled. Giorgi as a big who can run the floor and pass works well.

Love the 2 new additions to the team. Both guys who will have time to learn the system and then be able to contribute. Sucks about Kouma, but unfortunately, that's just a part of it.

Patterson to Oregon. Big $urpri$e. Two top 50 kids in a week, Altman's not playing around.

I know some people are saying that the Illini have "lost ground" with Miller. That's not true, talked to someone who is extremely close with Adam Miller and the MIF. He told me Illini are still in the lead, and that as of right now there is nothing to worry about. He thinks Caleb Love will likely head to Louisville over UNC. Meaning Louisville will be out for Adam Miller. Going to be duking it out with Kansas, and Arizona State. Still, think Chin pulls it out in the end.

Kalkbrenner has become a little hard to read. Gathered some information from the same guy who told me about Miller. Told me that Kalkbrenner really enjoyed his visit spree, but he is torn with taking the rest of his officials or waiting for some other offers to come in and take the visits there. Stanford, Illinois and Purdue are the schools in the front for him as of right now. UNC really likes him according to a coach from MIF. I still think he winds up at Illinois, being Coach Walker's first big get in what seems like 4 years...

Curbelo appears set on waiting until late spring. Thinks bigger offers will come in the spring and he is probably going to be right on that. Will be in it until the end thanks to the time Antigua has put in.

Expect DJ Gordon, and Keon Ambrose Hylton to cut down their lists soon. Hearing we will make both.

KK Robinson included Illini in his top 7 surprisingly. Heavy Arkansas lean, believe he is heading back to Arkansas on the 24th. I don't even expect him to visit Illinois.

Name that the staff really likes that they are keeping on the low: Sardaar Calhoun

In a shocking development, Patterson commits to Oregon.

A8B83E5E-7500-4383-85F4-101249628C62.jpeg

Love the 2 new additions to the team. Both guys who will have time to learn the system and then be able to contribute. Sucks about Kouma, but unfortunately, that's just a part of it.

Patterson to Oregon. Big $urpri$e. Two top 50 kids in a week, Altman's not playing around.

I know some people are saying that the Illini have "lost ground" with Miller. That's not true, talked to someone who is extremely close with Adam Miller and the MIF. He told me Illini are still in the lead, and that as of right now there is nothing to worry about. He thinks Caleb Love will likely head to Louisville over UNC. Meaning Louisville will be out for Adam Miller. Going to be duking it out with Kansas, and Arizona State. Still, think Chin pulls it out in the end.

Kalkbrenner has become a little hard to read. Gathered some information from the same guy who told me about Miller. Told me that Kalkbrenner really enjoyed his visit spree, but he is torn with taking the rest of his officials or waiting for some other offers to come in and take the visits there. Stanford, Illinois and Purdue are the schools in the front for him as of right now. UNC really likes him according to a coach from MIF. I still think he winds up at Illinois, being Coach Walker's first big get in what seems like 4 years...

Curbelo appears set on waiting until late spring. Thinks bigger offers will come in the spring and he is probably going to be right on that. Will be in it until the end thanks to the time Antigua has put in.

Expect DJ Gordon, and Keon Ambrose Hylton to cut down their lists soon. Hearing we will make both.

KK Robinson included Illini in his top 7 surprisingly. Heavy Arkansas lean, believe he is heading back to Arkansas on the 24th. I don't even expect him to visit Illinois.

Name that the staff really likes that they are keeping on the low: Sardaar Calhoun
I feel like every guard recruit in the country has Louisville in their top five. I keep hearing how nice the arena is. Has Illinois offered Calhoun?

I think that transfers like these who have the things you can't teach like size and athleticism and we're productive in college, can be like a mid to high 4 star freshman coming into a program. You give them one year of experience in the system, you increase the level of competition the guys are facing in practice each day, you get them into the weight room, you get them to see and experience playing in the B10, you've got yourself a pretty good role player at the very least. I'm not saying we are getting two Ayo's in 20-21, but it's worth the investment to see what you can produce from these two in a year. Better than filling schollies 4 and 5 with a true 3 star freshman if these scholarships were to just sit.

Brad's system isn't easy to grasp as we have seen the past two years. If you were to have an influx of newcomers in 20-21, I think the momentum and experience will be lost and he'll have to start again from the basics which would really hamper what Trent and the other guys who are at the advanced level by then can run. I like this move...low risk in exchange for stability, experience, and maybe a gem

Last edited:

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
Didn't Texas tech use a bunch of transfers?

Brandone Francis (Florida) - Led the reserves unit.
Tariq Owens (St. Johns) - Known for his shot blocking and defense.
Matt Mooney (South Dakota) - Averaged 11 ppg and was named to the defensive and newcomer teams in Big 12. Also named to NCAA Final Four All-Tourney team.

Transfers help because of the experience they have received from the previous school, as they are more seasoned. There are so many areas and factors we can talk about the success of a team, but I'll mention a couple that I've been thinking about lately:

1) Having the right attitude to be coachable to learn the technique.
2) Player development: Maximizing the player's potential to be the best he can be.

I feel like every guard recruit in the country has Louisville in their top five. I keep hearing how nice the arena is. Has Illinois offered Calhoun?

Loui$ville is somehow always attractive to kids...

Calhoun does hold an Illini offer. LSU, FSU, Minnesota, NC State are the other schools in on him with offers, whether those offers are committable or not I am not for sure.

Flight#33

Flight#33
Brandone Francis (Florida) - Led the reserves unit.
Tariq Owens (St. Johns) - Known for his shot blocking and defense.
Matt Mooney (South Dakota) - Averaged 11 ppg and was named to the defensive and newcomer teams in Big 12. Also named to NCAA Final Four All-Tourney team.

Transfers help because of the experience they have received from the previous school, as they are more seasoned. There are so many areas and factors we can talk about the success of a team, but I'll mention a couple that I've been thinking about lately:

1) Having the right attitude to be coachable to learn the technique.
2) Player development: Maximizing the player's potential to be the best he can be.

My question was rhetorical, but you explained it better than I ever would have, and I agree, the transfers should be more prepared

I would think he would have to be real interesting to move the needle after taking Hutcherson & Grandison in the last 2 weeks? How many 6'6" wings do we need?
A PG & big are looking more critical to me.
Actually like to see two PG's, one ready to play (Miller) and a backup plus a big (Kalkbrenner). Ayo and Dre will be a big loss. Wonder if BU sees someone else on the roster capable of playing the point. Also wonder if it might be easier with a more experienced team.

I would think he would have to be real interesting to move the needle after taking Hutcherson & Grandison in the last 2 weeks? How many 6'6" wings do we need?
A PG & big are looking more critical to me.

Always have to be prepared. Never know with injuries, and who is staying or going after the season. Most people thought Samba wasn't leaving...

Staff always wants to have options.

Loui$ville is somehow always attractive to kids...

Calhoun does hold an Illini offer. LSU, FSU, Minnesota, NC State are the other schools in on him with offers, whether those offers are committable or not I am not for sure.

Calhoun I believe will be a NC State player when he commits. We will have technically 4-5 in front of him...Jones/Griffin/Williams/Hutcherson/Grandison...don't really see the fit with us, but I do like his game.

Well, this makes for an interesting roster construction. I honestly have no clue how all this will play out in the next 3 years. It looks like we have 5 players in the same class for the 2-3 position. I’m sure something will change, but seems odd to me. If we land Miller, which all signs point to, that only leaves 1 spot open next year. Having a hard time wrapping my head around that. Underwood has been talking about keeping an open spot for 5th year guys because you don’t know who might be available. Will be interesting.

The most beloved team in school history had more than five at the 2-3 position. :chief:

Actually like to see two PG's, one ready to play (Miller) and a backup plus a big (Kalkbrenner). Ayo and Dre will be a big loss. Wonder if BU sees someone else on the roster capable of playing the point. Also wonder if it might be easier with a more experienced team.

Hutcherson mentioned in an interview that Brad told him he sees him as a partial replacement to Ayo. To me that would mean rotating with Trent at Point in 2021. If Griffin and Da'Monte both stepped up they could handle the 2 and we should be good to go at the wing now.

Hutcherson mentioned in an interview that Brad told him he sees him as a partial replacement to Ayo. To me that would mean rotating with Trent at Point in 2021. If Griffin and Da'Monte both stepped up they could handle the 2 and we should be good to go at the wing now.
Yes, BU mentioned in the interview that he could play the point.

Yes, BU mentioned in the interview that he could play the point.
Yes it was mentioned, but we have had a lot of SG mentioned as a potential pg during the Weber/Groce era (maybe all of them)...so just a bit skeptical on the chances of it working.

illini80

Forgottonia
The most beloved team in school history had more than five at the 2-3 position. :chief:
My point was more that everyone is in the same class. If they all played their 4 years, it could be tough to recruit the position until they graduate, leaving a huge hole. That’s not the way a roster is typically constructed, but I’m sure it will work itself out.

Yes it was mentioned, but we have had a lot of SG mentioned as a potential pg during the Weber/Groce era (maybe all of them)...so just a bit skeptical on the chances of it working.

I get it, but if there’s one position I haven’t seen Brad struggle figuring out yet it’s the point. I won’t let Weber/Groce’s shortcomings carry over to Brad until he shows me it’s warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.