Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People compare him to Feliz.

Don't know him at all, but watched some highlight videos. FWLIW

*physically he looks stronger than most
*decent handles
*had some nice euro-step moves to finish in transition
*lot of passion and competitiveness

I would take any comparison to Feliz as a big complement --total warrior. Feliz maybe didn't have the height or outside shot to be an elite player, but contributed everywhere he possibly could.

We aren't comparing him to Derrick Rose are we? Rose was a 3rd team All American by his Sophomore year. Simeon lost only 12 games in his entire Career. Nesbit's team lost 9 just last season. JN is just now breaking into the top 100 on some sites, where I don' think Rose was ever outside of the top 10 in his class.

I like Nesbitt. A lot. He plays hard and seems to have a great attitude. I would be very pleased if he ended up at U of I.

Derrick Rose was a HOF talent, and is still a good NBA player despite losing a lot of athleticism to injury. Nesbitt will likely have to work his tail off and improve a great deal to get a legitimate shot at the NBA. Rose probably would have been a very good NBA player right out of high school.
We will concede, he's no Derrick Rose, but I do see him as a small Kevin Durant.

Don't know him at all, but watched some highlight videos. FWLIW

*physically he looks stronger than most
*decent handles
*had some nice euro-step moves to finish in transition
*lot of passion and competitiveness

I would take any comparison to Feliz as a big complement --total warrior. Feliz maybe didn't have the height or outside shot to be an elite player, but contributed everywhere he possibly could.

Jones looks long to me too, from the highlights I saw.

We aren't comparing him to Derrick Rose are we? Rose was a 3rd team All American by his Sophomore year. Simeon lost only 12 games in his entire Career. Nesbit's team lost 9 just last season. JN is just now breaking into the top 100 on some sites, where I don' think Rose was ever outside of the top 10 in his class.

I like Nesbitt. A lot. He plays hard and seems to have a great attitude. I would be very pleased if he ended up at U of I.

Derrick Rose was a HOF talent, and is still a good NBA player despite losing a lot of athleticism to injury. Nesbitt will likely have to work his tail off and improve a great deal to get a legitimate shot at the NBA. Rose probably would have been a very good NBA player right out of high school.
Definitely not comparing. Different players totally. Just saying that when you see a player and you feel like he has it, he has it in your eyes. I have been watching Nesbitt's games, not just the highlight package. I love what I see from him. Im a big fan of what he brings to the table.

Nesbitt, Jones, and Weston are all about the same size and appear to have similar games per the videos. All look good to me and not qualified to differentiate. Coaches probably have a preference but I am sure they would want to see them play in person. Suspect the difference would be in that “basketball IQ” that can’t be seen on highlights and what I believe Tevian was missing. Having a sense to always be in the right place is a major asset.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
The Bird and Magic comparisons crack me up. It shows how old we are. How about we compare recruits to someone from this century ... just saying :p

I dont know much about Jones. People compare him to Feliz. I hear you. Level of competition definitely matters. I watched Derrick Rose in high school. He was a beast against kids, a beast in college and a beast in the NBA. Nesbitt has IT in him.
I agree with you 100% on Nesbitt. He’s a stud.

If only he had red hair...he would be a ringer for Johnny Kerr...with the ruggedness of Dolph Shayes...both of the '55 Syracuse Nationals...a pretty darned good team that won the NBA title over the Ft. Wayne Pistons by a single pt. in game 7. Tough bunch.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
If only he had red hair...he would be a ringer for Johnny Kerr...with the ruggedness of Dolph Shayes...both of the '55 Syracuse Nationals...a pretty darned good team that won the NBA title over the Ft. Wayne Pistons by a single pt. in game 7. Tough bunch.
I'm going to withhold judgement on this guy til I see some footage (or maybe a daguerrotype) of him rippin' down the ol' peach basket.

You misspelled Schayes....

Tacomallini

Washington State
I'm going to withhold judgement on this guy til I see some footage (or maybe a daguerrotype) of him rippin' down the ol' peach basket.
1597872691595.png

Dolph Schayes, the last of the 2 hand set shot and he was about 6'9". What is really bothering Hoopsfan47 and me is that we both saw him play.

Class of 2022 guard Trey Pettigrew says five schools working the hardest
Trey Pettigrew, the 6-foot-3, 175-pound combo guard from Hillcrest Prep (AZ), says that five schools are recruiting him the hardest.

Ranked the No. 21 combo guard nationally by 247Sports.com, Pettigrew says that among the schools that have offered, Penn State, Nebraska, Illinois, Georgia and Missouri have been in contact the most.

Illinois: “Watching them grow was just crazy to me, seeing where they came from and just what they’ve done in two years. Also, what they’re going to do this season, if there is a season. It just shows that they put a lot of time and effort into recruiting. It meant a lot when they offered me because I knew how good they were and how good they want to be in the future because you don’t want to go backwards. I really like how they go after homegrown talent, so that was really important to me. It was special to me to get an offer from that state school since I’ve lived there my whole life.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/08/20...tigrew-says-five-schools-working-the-hardest/

Both his parents went to Penn St.

Status
Not open for further replies.