Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Class of 2022 guard Trey Pettigrew says five schools working the hardest
Trey Pettigrew, the 6-foot-3, 175-pound combo guard from Hillcrest Prep (AZ), says that five schools are recruiting him the hardest.

Ranked the No. 21 combo guard nationally by 247Sports.com, Pettigrew says that among the schools that have offered, Penn State, Nebraska, Illinois, Georgia and Missouri have been in contact the most.

Illinois: “Watching them grow was just crazy to me, seeing where they came from and just what they’ve done in two years. Also, what they’re going to do this season, if there is a season. It just shows that they put a lot of time and effort into recruiting. It meant a lot when they offered me because I knew how good they were and how good they want to be in the future because you don’t want to go backwards. I really like how they go after homegrown talent, so that was really important to me. It was special to me to get an offer from that state school since I’ve lived there my whole life.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/08/20...tigrew-says-five-schools-working-the-hardest/

Both his parents went to Penn St.
From the article, it sounds like Georgia and Penn St. are out in front. A quick search did not find a lot beyond a 3* national ranking in the 150-200 range.

The Nesbitt thing to SLU has really lost momentum, OTOH, hearing that Hopkins is a strong UK lean. Are those 2 recruitments intertwined in anyway.??

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.39.28 PM.png

Georgia and Tom Crean have approached Rafael Pinzon. This confirms that Pinzon, even though lower rated, is in the high major category.

Hoping that what we are perceiving as a weakness this year is really a strength next year at the 4. Without Kofi am guessing 4 and 5 interchangeable. Giorgi, BBV, Cole, Jermaine and Brandon may be a strength with size and shooting.

It had sounded like we were on the outs with Weston. Would be great to keep the MPH pipeline going.
Yes. Gotta keep it going since the Simeon pipeline is in shambles.. Steve Taylor from simeon has a brother that plays for Morgan park. He was a freshman last year. He is the next one.

Yes. Gotta keep it going since the Simeon pipeline is in shambles.. Steve Taylor from simeon has a brother that plays for Morgan park. He was a freshman last year. He is the next one.
Hopefully a nice string of tourney appearences will help mend fences at Simeon. Hopefully they understand the catch-22 we got forced into and realize we had to get Ayo.

Hopefully a nice string of tourney appearences will help mend fences at Simeon. Hopefully they understand the catch-22 we got forced into and realize we had to get Ayo.
Yeah Tim. Those are two programs that you want to have a good relationship with. I still look at those old articles about THT committing to Illinois. I need to stop twisting the knife deeper into myself.

Idk, putting myself in the shoes of a college coach with NBA options, I’d be a little concerned given the catastrophic effect the pandemic is having on athletic budgets, accelerating the push for a players union, adding more pressure to compensate players, etc.

The NCAA and its member institutions are so scared to death of any liability that they’ve already conclusively shown that they’ll shut down their cash cows despite the fact that young healthy people are largely unaffected.

The end result is these schools have massive athletics budgets and minimal money coming in, with no real end in sight at this juncture. If I were an employee of a business in such a situation, I’d be interviewing like crazy.

On the other hand pro sports have carried on like many other for-profit businesses by taking prudent precautions and continuing to produce their products. If I were someone making my living and legacy and raising a family, these are factors I’m definitely keeping an eye on.

You can call me crazy but I believe this whole mess may permanently disrupt college athletics as we know it. But that’s not to say those changes will necessarily be bad. This could create some opportunities for a meaningful restructuring and cleaning up of the wobbling house of cards that is “amateur” college athletics.

First thing I’d like to see done is a dismantling/overhaul of the NCAA. Second is the one and done rule. I am not in favor of paying college student-athletes to play sports. I think ultimately it presents more problems than it solves. I think they should remain amateurs and receive their current list of benefits.

In lieu of payment to college athletes, I would like to see an honest to goodness minor league system for kids who want to earn money right away. The NBA is finally starting to pay some legitimate salaries for HS grads going into the G League, but the average salary is still similar or less than the value of a free year of college/room & board/stipends, etc.

Football is a whole ‘nother animal because starting and funding a non-collegiate minor league that offers the type of development and S&C would be enormously expensive and it may be difficult to even find enough bodies that have legit NFL potential and would rather take a small salary than be in school. But I do think such a league held in the spring and early summer might actually be able to draw a television and in-person audience, unlike the G League and most minor league baseball organizations.

Idk, putting myself in the shoes of a college coach with NBA options, I’d be a little concerned given the catastrophic effect the pandemic is having on athletic budgets, accelerating the push for a players union, adding more pressure to compensate players, etc.

The NCAA and its member institutions are so scared to death of any liability that they’ve already conclusively shown that they’ll shut down their cash cows despite the fact that young healthy people are largely unaffected.

The end result is these schools have massive athletics budgets and minimal money coming in, with no real end in sight at this juncture. If I were an employee of a business in such a situation, I’d be interviewing like crazy.

On the other hand pro sports have carried on like many other for-profit businesses by taking prudent precautions and continuing to produce their products. If I were someone making my living and legacy and raising a family, these are factors I’m definitely keeping an eye on.

You can call me crazy but I believe this whole mess may permanently disrupt college athletics as we know it. But that’s not to say those changes will necessarily be bad. This could create some opportunities for a meaningful restructuring and cleaning up of the wobbling house of cards that is “amateur” college athletics.

First thing I’d like to see done is a dismantling/overhaul of the NCAA. Second is the one and done rule. I am not in favor of paying college student-athletes to play sports. I think ultimately it presents more problems than it solves. I think they should remain amateurs and receive their current list of benefits.

In lieu of payment to college athletes, I would like to see an honest to goodness minor league system for kids who want to earn money right away. The NBA is finally starting to pay some legitimate salaries for HS grads going into the G League, but the average salary is still similar or less than the value of a free year of college/room & board/stipends, etc.

Football is a whole ‘nother animal because starting and funding a non-collegiate minor league that offers the type of development and S&C would be enormously expensive and it may be difficult to even find enough bodies that have legit NFL potential and would rather take a small salary than be in school. But I do think such a league held in the spring and early summer might actually be able to draw a television and in-person audience, unlike the G League and most minor league baseball organizations.

minor leagues could work for basketball but the better solution is to allow the players to make money off of their name and likeness in college and eliminate the one and done. If they are good enough to get drafted out of high school, let them make the money. If they are stars in college,let them make a little money off of sponsorships. They don’t need a salary though. Lastly, let players who don’t get drafted go back to college.

for football, I don’t see it. NFL is not going to want to pay entire minor league teams. Nor would a single minor league team be enough to produce the talent the pro team needs. These 18 YO kids need college to get stronger and better and the NFL needs a system as big as NCAA to filter out the nobodies from the NFL talents.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
Padilla seems to me like he might be a lot more than the typical walk on. He played on the PR international team, and PR seems to produce a number of good players each year. I suspect he could have been a scholarship player on a number of D1 teams, at least lower or mid major teams, and may be a contributor in the next few years. It'll be interesting to watch.

minor leagues could work for basketball but the better solution is to allow the players to make money off of their name and likeness in college and eliminate the one and done. If they are good enough to get drafted out of high school, let them make the money. If they are stars in college,let them make a little money off of sponsorships. They don’t need a salary though. Lastly, let players who don’t get drafted go back to college.

for football, I don’t see it. NFL is not going to want to pay entire minor league teams. Nor would a single minor league team be enough to produce the talent the pro team needs. These 18 YO kids need college to get stronger and better and the NFL needs a system as big as NCAA to filter out the nobodies from the NFL talents.

While I appreciate your opinion on basketball, I fundamentally disagree. We are however on the same-ish page on football.

In regard to basketball—if you start allowing sponsorships and money flowing in it inherently disrupts the entire athletic department. It’s an unbelievably slippery slope. Something something Title IX. And it not only still leaves the door open to corruption, it actually invites additional corruption in using sponsorship and likeness tactics to sway players to certain schools during the recruitment process. Might as well just put a sign up that says “Let the Rich get Richer.” Only this time they wouldn’t even have to cheat, the players will just flock to them looking for the easiest route to sponsorship and likeness money.

I believe the line must be drawn at tuition, room and board, travel expenses, and a minor stipend. If the individual wants more than that, the professional leagues with gobs of cash can find a way to finance their own developmental leagues without fundamentally destroying the entire premise of amateur college athletics. (Which, admittedly, is already a complete farce, but I believe it can be corrected)

When it comes to football, of course there obviously won’t be one team. In a best case scenario I could see a handful of squads with a 4 deep roster of NFL hopefuls that don’t wish to play NCAA football or are out of the league making a modest salary playing games against the other squads. Like the G League but fewer teams with larger numbers of players. I think a lenient policy towards trading players among the minor league teams (to maximize overall player exposure) and being “brought up” to the NFL would be necessary when injuries and such inevitably occur.

While I appreciate your opinion on basketball, I fundamentally disagree. We are however on the same-ish page on football.

In regard to basketball—if you start allowing sponsorships and money flowing in it inherently disrupts the entire athletic department. It’s an unbelievably slippery slope. Something something Title IX. And it not only still leaves the door open to corruption, it actually invites additional corruption in using sponsorship and likeness tactics to sway players to certain schools during the recruitment process. Might as well just put a sign up that says “Let the Rich get Richer.” Only this time they wouldn’t even have to cheat, the players will just flock to them looking for the easiest route to sponsorship and likeness money.

I believe the line must be drawn at tuition, room and board, travel expenses, and a minor stipend. If the individual wants more than that, the professional leagues with gobs of cash can find a way to finance their own developmental leagues without fundamentally destroying the entire premise of amateur college athletics. (Which, admittedly, is already a complete farce, but I believe it can be corrected)

When it comes to football, of course there obviously won’t be one team. In a best case scenario I could see a handful of squads with a 4 deep roster of NFL hopefuls that don’t wish to play NCAA football or are out of the league making a modest salary playing games against the other squads. Like the G League but fewer teams with larger numbers of players. I think a lenient policy towards trading players among the minor league teams (to maximize overall player exposure) and being “brought up” to the NFL would be necessary when injuries and such inevitably occur.

I'm not sure how you think Title IX effects outside money going to kids for use of their images/likenesses. Title IX governs state action, state money. I fundamentally disagree with you. Allowing outside money to go to athletes doesn't transform that money into state funds. Sponsorship money would only tend to lessen, not increase corruption. In the first sentence of your paragraph you say it invites more corruption and then in the last you say "Only this time they wouldn't have to cheat..." So you're contradicting yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.