Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AD's want their own guys.

ADs want winners, or 50-50 guys that can keep the boosters happy.

"They have just one winning season since he returned in 2015 and are a combined 19-71 in Big East play. "
How often does an AD come in and totally back a guy, with that record, who's also currently on probation (3 years) for recruiting violations?

Something looks strange here. If I were a new AD, I would not want to be tethered to Leitao any more than I had to be.

ADs want winners, or 50-50 guys that can keep the boosters happy.

"They have just one winning season since he returned in 2015 and are a combined 19-71 in Big East play. "
How often does an AD come in and totally back a guy, with that record, who's also currently on probation (3 years) for recruiting violations?

Something looks strange here. If I were a new AD, I would not want to be tethered to Leitao any more than I had to be.

More so than the coaching record, has been the terrible payback on DePaul's $100 million + investment in a new arena that has had dismal attendance. That Leitao extension is pale in comparison to the potential arena payback. TV revenues have also suffered. It reminds me of spending $200 million on renovating SFC and the result was $8 tickets. Not a good financial equation

I also think the Jones recruitment adds fuel to the fire with these OA rumors. I mean, DePaul went from not having an offer to looking like a lock for him in less than 10 days. The kid has a relationship with OA that appears to have been a major factor in Illinois leading before DePaul got in. Not saying that's what's going on, I really have no idea, but you can definitely see how that's fueling the rumor.

I also think the Jones recruitment adds fuel to the fire with these OA rumors. I mean, DePaul went from not having an offer to looking like a lock for him in less than 10 days. The kid has a relationship with OA that appears to have been a major factor in Illinois leading before DePaul got in. Not saying that's what's going on, I really have no idea, but you can definitely see how that's fueling the rumor.

Plus, never even visited DePaul, right??

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
AnotherWarpedKissingbug-size_restricted.gif

Piper rolls over his CB to DePaul. Man oh man, just another example of "The Wild Wild West" in college BB recruiting. OTOH, I'm just happy that our staff and AD have jumped into that environment and won our fair shares. Football, now that's another story.

The power dynamic of this recruitment shifted in the last 2 weeks.....Jones isn't the one making his decision. (RE; J Tilmon) If it were solely up to Jones he would have picked Illinois.

The power dynamic of this recruitment shifted in the last 2 weeks.....Jones isn't the one making his decision. (RE; J Tilmon) If it were solely up to Jones he would have picked Illinois.
I don't understand why we see so many guys who aren't allowed to make a college decision when there's a full ride available to every option. Are high school coaches making these decisions? Why do they have any leverage over the player to do that?

I don't understand why we see so many guys who aren't allowed to make a college decision when there's a full ride available to every option. Are high school coaches making these decisions? Why do they have any leverage over the player to do that?
Because there is a way to profit off these kids. Whether you like it or not that's just how it is. Most of the time it is a family member that the player trusts but sometimes high school or AAU coach too.

HoopCity

Huntsville, AL
OA is a huge contributor and a real gem to have on the staff. His network is huge and has worked spades for us in assembling this team. I don't think it was ever in question that he would garner HC attention one of these days. If rumors are true, I think that one of the questions he has to ask himself is if he is ready. Has he learned enough from BU about assembling a program, running it, the X's and O's. But I think the bigger question is if the situation he steps into next is best for him. If he leaves now, he leaves the possibility for a national championship run and exposure as a lead assistant that comes with it. Maybe it's been there, done that with UK, but I don't know if as large of the success has been attributed to him as it would for this current team at illinois. But what opportunities might show up that could be better than depaul for him if we even come close to our goals...would depaul still be the best option at that time? Hard to decide between the real option (if really true) and hypothetical opportunities (which could be impacted by: do we achieve lofty heights? Does covid impact the season? Etc).

I think if OA leaves for DePaul he is really selling himself short. I would think he is smarter than that and would wait for a top school / program, in a nicer location that is looking for a top candidate like him !!

And to think that less than 14 months ago the NCAA put Leitao and DePaul on probation over recruiting violations. To those who want to know how the money is laundered, this article really spells it out regarding the Tugs Bowen recruitment (which DePaul was right in the middle of). But to think they jumped right back into the fray in 14 months is just crazy. Lots of middlemen.:)

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...855/ncaa-punishes-depaul-recruiting-violation

Oh well, maybe this is one we really didn't want to "WIN".

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
interesting development. I'll choose to believe that the staff backed off because they are feeling good about our position with Hopkins and that OA would not settle for DePaul knowing that he will be a top candidate for excellent jobs (ie consistent winners in high-major conferences) as early as next spring

Because there is a way to profit off these kids. Whether you like it or not that's just how it is. Most of the time it is a family member that the player trusts but sometimes high school or AAU coach too.
I've heard of upper 5-stars hearing offers but if the #91 prospect is getting them, then this goes deeper than I thought.
Just seems like these kids are getting manipulated if they think they owe anyone other than their parents a piece of the pie. Guess it's more complicated than that.

I've heard of upper 5-stars hearing offers but if the #91 prospect is getting them, then this goes deeper than I thought.
Just seems like these kids are getting manipulated if they think they owe anyone other than their parents a piece of the pie. Guess it's more complicated than that.
A lot of times it isn't necessarily people getting cash itss setting a family up with a house or a good job or new car. things of that nature.

When a school is as desperate for talent as DePaul #91 feels like #21.

Plus Jones is a little underrated at this point, we all know that...

Status
Not open for further replies.