Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (December 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collinsville must have a hell of a team! Besides Taylor, who signed with SIU-E , do the Kahoks have any potential D-1 prospects?

sacraig

The desert
Wasn’t the lead singer of R.E.M from collinsville ?

Stipe graduated from Collinsville but was from Georgia and quickly returned to Georgia after graduating. He graduated with my mom. I'm sure he's in a yearbook in her basement somewhere.

sacraig

The desert
Collinsville must have a hell of a team! Besides Taylor, who signed with SIU-E , do the Kahoks have any potential D-1 prospects?

Taylor seems like a solid prospect. Anyone know why he went with SIUE instead of seeing whether his senior season could net some more offers? Just his height?

Two bigs who are a handful in the post. Not sure about offers. Taylor will get his no matter who guards him. Just gotta hope bigs have off night.

Taylor seems like a solid prospect. Anyone know why he went with SIUE instead of seeing whether his senior season could net some more offers? Just his height?
I was impressed by Taylor. He definitely struggles to finish in the paint against size but he uses he body well and drew a lot of fouls. I thought he was better than low D1

Deleted member 646108

D
Taylor is the best kind of kid you could imagine....clean cut, respectful, kind, good grades, and very family oriented - parents and his younger brothers attend every game. I heard he picked SIUE so his family can attend and he can be the focal point of the offense as soon as he comes in freshman year. Plus SIUE came calling when larger programs didn’t show interest. I think the lack of interest from majors was due to his height and his funky looking shot. Little bit of Lonzo and Ayo in his shot....it goes in but might be harder to get off in college with long fast defenders. He struggled in the regional loss last season vs Alton when the D1 Valpo senior defended him. But he’s a kid who wins, plays defense hard, works within the structure of an offense, his teammates like him, and has a lot of experience (has played varsity since 9th grade). Out of HS, I’d take him over Charmin Soft Smith any day of the week. Reminds me of Feliz but Taylor has a great floater game.

Regarding Collinsville’s current team in general....they only have one big right now. He is 6’7” solid and long. Super athletic but only a threat from point blank. He plays good defense, gets rebounds and putbacks, and scored on the drive and dish. No real outside shot or effective post game vs real bigs. Also very temperamental. Kind of a Rodman type. Could play small college ball but looks like a D1 football player like Edwardsvilles Epanesa.

Their scoring big is out till 2020 with a broken ankle.

The other senior guard is incredibly fast and a good defender but extremely short - 5’7 ish...

As far as other D1 prospects, they have a 6’7” junior who starts but is pretty much just a catch and shoot 3 point shooter right now. No real handles or driving skills yet. Looks small college type to me.

They also have a 6’6” junior who is just starting to blossom this year. He has the D1 look and a nice shot but isn’t there yet. If he keeps developing he will he the focal point of their offense next year. He’s one to watch but I think SIUE might be his ceiling after next season.

Overall, Collinsville has a lot of good pieces this year and has the ability to make a run at the 4A state title this season....

At one time Centralia was one, Collinsville 2 and Mt Vernon was the 4th winningest programs in America.

Kevin Stallings was from Collinsville with Rick George his running mate at guard. There is a name from the past.

Fletcher was a friend of John Wooden and visited him in the summer of 1960. That fall he put in the ball press that UCLA used. Collinsville went 32-0 and beat Thornton of Harvey by about 35 in the championship game.
Centralia is still number 1 in most high school wins I played there for 2 years.

I heard they were passed by 6-8 years ago but now read that they regained the title just recently.

Centralia has a 2 game lead so they can't afford a bad weekend.

illini80

Forgottonia
I was at the game and Adams shot is smooth as we all know but you wish he would attack a little more. He seemed to struggle getting all the way into the paint. He had a couple nice smooth pull ups as well.
Marcus Watson is Lightning quick.
If I didn’t know who weston was I would’ve thought he was just another guy.
With his shooting, it seems like he and Ayo would be a great combination. He and Curbelo would be as well.

i work at Alton High and didn’t realize the other big was out. We should have good games this year.
Taylor is the best kind of kid you could imagine....clean cut, respectful, kind, good grades, and very family oriented - parents and his younger brothers attend every game. I heard he picked SIUE so his family can attend and he can be the focal point of the offense as soon as he comes in freshman year. Plus SIUE came calling when larger programs didn’t show interest. I think the lack of interest from majors was due to his height and his funky looking shot. Little bit of Lonzo and Ayo in his shot....it goes in but might be harder to get off in college with long fast defenders. He struggled in the regional loss last season vs Alton when the D1 Valpo senior defended him. But he’s a kid who wins, plays defense hard, works within the structure of an offense, his teammates like him, and has a lot of experience (has played varsity since 9th grade). Out of HS, I’d take him over Charmin Soft Smith any day of the week. Reminds me of Feliz but Taylor has a great floater game.

Regarding Collinsville’s current team in general....they only have one big right now. He is 6’7” solid and long. Super athletic but only a threat from point blank. He plays good defense, gets rebounds and putbacks, and scored on the drive and dish. No real outside shot or effective post game vs real bigs. Also very temperamental. Kind of a Rodman type. Could play small college ball but looks like a D1 football player like Edwardsvilles Epanesa.

Their scoring big is out till 2020 with a broken ankle.

The other senior guard is incredibly fast and a good defender but extremely short - 5’7 ish...

As far as other D1 prospects, they have a 6’7” junior who starts but is pretty much just a catch and shoot 3 point shooter right now. No real handles or driving skills yet. Looks small college type to me.

They also have a 6’6” junior who is just starting to blossom this year. He has the D1 look and a nice shot but isn’t there yet. If he keeps developing he will he the focal point of their offense next year. He’s one to watch but I think SIUE might be his ceiling after next season.

Overall, Collinsville has a lot of good pieces this year and has the ability to make a run at the 4A state title this season....

Deleted member 654622

D
Don't know about the current roster but my son just played their 6th grade team yesterday and their point guard is a hell of a baller!

That last second miss by miller for the game went down about as far as a ball can go without actually going in.

Deleted member 646108

D
i work at Alton High and didn’t realize the other big was out. We should have good games this year.
He is supposed to start practicing again after Christmas....just hope that there’s enough time to get his game back before the playoffs

I would expect, here on out, to get really good bigs to sign up with IL.

Guards should be a staple.

#3 is, IMHO, TBD.

Chilliniwek

Chicagoland
Stipe graduated from Collinsville but was from Georgia and quickly returned to Georgia after graduating. He graduated with my mom. I'm sure he's in a yearbook in her basement somewhere.

Attachments

• 23 Michael Stipe- 12th Grade.jpg
    23 Michael Stipe- 12th Grade.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 236
Are there any other programs in the state who dominated Illinois High School basketball for a decade or more other than Collinsville, Paris, and Centralia? Some have had runs with a particular class or group, but to do it for a decade requires building a great program, tremendous pride, and genius coaching. No question Virgil Fletcher and Ernie Eveland did just that at Collinsville and Paris, but Centralia did it with a bunch of orphans and several coaches. Of course, Collinsville and Centralia generally played in the same regional every year and had to battle each other while Paris did it with a bunch small town kids and farm boys with which Eveland simply worked magic in a small prairie town less than half the size of the other two. Both Collinsville and Paris produced two state champs in less than a decade. Paris also blew and 8 pt. fourth quarter lead as Dike Eddleman and Centralia burst their bubble in 42 before Paris won in 43 and 47. I vividly remember watching the 63 title game in the first tournament played at the Assembly Hall when a team of Orphans everyone thought was unbeatable got "Smedlied"at the buzzer. Then, in 65, I was there again as Fletcher's Kahok's methodically pressed their way to one of the most efficient team performances in history. I was not born when Paris won their second title in 47, but was in my Mom's womb getting ready to be born a couple of months later. I do remember watching a handful of guys from those days play in a local league when I was in grade school, and they all seemed to play like Bob Cousy or Bill Russel.

But since then, though there have been many great teams that had runs of three of four years, I am not aware of any that have been considered a competitor for a state title...and won a couple or more...every year for a decade.. Lawrenceville, a rival that Paris played every year, had great success during two periods, the second being at Class 2 after the split, But those successes were more predicated on a particular group and did not approach a decade IIRC. The Shidler boys and Mary Simmons were the pillars of their success and they also had an excellent coach.

Fill me in if can.

Lawrenceville/Paris was not much of a rivalry. Paris was in the Apollo and Lawrenceville was in the Little Illini. I went to Robinson in the 80’s, when Lawrenceville had Marty the Mule and won two state titles. Paris wasn’t good at that time. I think Lawrenceville had a rivalry with Mt. Carmel. I know Robinson wasn’t good and we were no challenge for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.