Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (December 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 645583

D
Yes, Doug Altenberger was very reliable. I'm not talking just 3s here; just pure shooting talent as in jump shots from anywhere.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Well Eddie Johnson never attempted a 3 at Illinois. I believe it was established around 1986.
Bradford, Jamar Smith while he was here, Aletenger for the one ir two years he had and Garris were all good from beyond the arc.
Sean Harrington could be added to that list, too. Luther was very reliable later in his career, too, and I'd throw Malcolm in there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 645583

D
Sean Harrington could be added to that list, too. Luther was very reliable later in his career, too, and I'd throw Malcolm in there.
Yes to Sean! I met him at a Jewel store in DeKalb, of all places, several years ago! Nice guy. He was doing TV or radio back then. What's he doing now? Will look it up.

Sean: an Illini from Elgin! My old stomping grounds way back.

If Zanoni can shoot as well as they say he can, well shoot: consider him. We sure need sharpshooters. And I would be happy to call him "The Great Zanoni" -sounds like a magician's name.

Just for grins, who were the best shooters in Illini history? Kaufman, Bradford, Eddie Johnson, Deron Williams (just some names I'm throwing out)? Seriously, who were the best? I don't think Illinois has ever had a Rick Mount-type or a Pistol Pete. I could be very wrong.

Thanks.
[/QU

Nick Weatherspoon should be in this conversation somewhere

Deleted member 645583

D
Is there still a Matt Heldman Award? (The Matto). How quickly we forget. I think he was a pretty good shooter.

If Zanoni can shoot as well as they say he can, well shoot: consider him. We sure need sharpshooters. And I would be happy to call him "The Great Zanoni" -sounds like a magician's name.

Just for grins, who were the best shooters in Illini history? Kaufman, Bradford, Eddie Johnson, Deron Williams (just some names I'm throwing out)? Seriously, who were the best? I don't think Illinois has ever had a Rick Mount-type or a Pistol Pete. I could be very wrong.

Thanks.

I'll add Brian Cook and Nick Weatherspoon for consideration

Thanks.
Come on oleo, you remember the Gibson City Gunner don't you?

Saw this post on the Sun-Times website. Sounds like a player we should get in and the type Iowa, Wisconsin and Purdue have had that kill us.

“Been doing Hoops Report for 23 years and Yorkville Christian’s 6-5 Jaden Schutt is as pure and natural of a shooter as I’ve watched in that time. Elevation on jumper, ideal form/release, quick trigger. Just a sophomore. That’s a special talent, some JJ Redick-like stuff.”

201154JC

Rockford, IL
All coming back to me. I saw Illinois lose a tight game 86 to 83 to ND. Austin Carr dropped 36 on us that night, Saturday January 31st, 1970.
I still have the ticket stub. Other than Pistol Pete, Austin to this day, is the best college player I've ever seen. He could score 1 on 5.

Deleted member 4960

D
Cory Bradford I think holds the record for most consecutive games with a 3. Harrington was a great 3 pt shooter. Altenberger and Smith were very good also.sorry Malcolm is not in any of the previously mentioned class. Our last really good 3 pt/long range sniper was Jamar Smith. Maybe DJ Richardson with an honorable mention.

Deleted member 645583

D
Come on oleo, you remember the Gibson City Gunner don't you?
I'm ashamed of myself. Who is /was the Gibson City Gunner? I looked up Gibson City at Wiki, but no mention of a gunner. Did say Frances (Fargo) McDormand was born there and that there's an event there next year year called "Sloth Days" or something like that. Like it - I can be very slothful. I'm into slothiosity.

I seem to remember Nick Anderson being able to shoot pretty well (though it was before 3-pointer time).

azillini1

Scottsdale
How about Dave Downey? He scored 53 points against Indiana in a game in 1963. And that was way before the 3 point arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.