Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (December 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

89illini

Grand Rapids, MI
Nick shot the 3, most memorable at Indiana 3/5/89, last second win

SKane

Tennessee
I'm ashamed of myself. Who is /was the Gibson City Gunner? I looked up Gibson City at Wiki, but no mention of a gunner. Did say Frances (Fargo) McDormand was born there and that there's an event there next year year called "Sloth Days" or something like that. Like it - I can be very slothful. I'm into slothiosity.

The Gibson City Gunner was Denny Graff. He played for some of the final teams coached by Harv Schmidt.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/dennis-graff-1.html

I'm ashamed of myself. Who is /was the Gibson City Gunner? I looked up Gibson City at Wiki, but no mention of a gunner. Did say Frances (Fargo) McDormand was born there and that there's an event there next year year called "Sloth Days" or something like that. Like it - I can be very slothful. I'm into slothiosity.

I'm shamed too. I keep thinking of former Illini and UNLV great Ken Gibson but that's obviously not right.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
IIRC Derek Harper was a ~55% shooter his last year. Pretty close to 40% from 3pt during his Mavericks hey days.

If Zanoni can shoot as well as they say he can, well shoot: consider him. We sure need sharpshooters. And I would be happy to call him "The Great Zanoni" -sounds like a magician's name.

Just for grins, who were the best shooters in Illini history? Kaufman, Bradford, Eddie Johnson, Deron Williams (just some names I'm throwing out)? Seriously, who were the best? I don't think Illinois has ever had a Rick Mount-type or a Pistol Pete. I could be very wrong.

Thanks.

Jimmy Dawson not yet mentioned.

JCL doesn’t come close to Sean Harrington shooting %. JCL was worse at 3’s and horrible With 2’s %. Even worse at DePaul.

He was definitely a really good 3 point shooter for the Illini. I believe he broke the 3 point made record for a freshman for us. And it was over 40%. His sophomore year was a decent percentage with a lot of 3s too.

He was definitely a disappointment his sophomore year; it was disappointing that he transferred. But he is definitely in the conversation when you bring up good shooters at Illinios, IMO.

Deleted member 645583

D
I remember Nick's shot at Indiania. And I remember Deron's brilliant pass, with English on it, to Dee against Arizona!
But in the video of my mind, I can't see Altenberger missing a shot. Memory can be faulty, He was a sharpshooter, I think.

And what the heck does IIRC mean? The name of junior college? I think I know.

He was definitely a really good 3 point shooter for the Illini. I believe he broke the 3 point made record for a freshman for us. And it was over 40%. His sophomore year was a decent percentage with a lot of 3s too.

He was definitely a disappointment his sophomore year; it was disappointing that he transferred. But he is definitely in the conversation when you bring up good shooters at Illinios, IMO.
His freshman year 3 pt shooting was memorable (.422) and his sophomore year was also good (.380). His overall shooting % was a bit light.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-coleman-lands-1.html

Deleted member 645583

D
I remember Nick's shot at Indiania. And I remember Deron's brilliant pass, with English on it, to Dee against Arizona!
But in the video of my mind, I can't see Altenberger missing a shot. Memory can be faulty, He was a sharpshooter, I think.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
After we locked down our recruiting class I wondered what we would talk about ... LOL

"if I recall correctly" = IIRC Oops, sorry for the redundant post.

Deleted member 645583

D
Cut out the jargon. COTJ! It's really silly and juvenile. Manspeak! Or Womanspeak! Por Favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis Graff, mid 70s. No reason that you should remember him as he was a pretty deep reserve for those teams. However, he could fill it up and you wouldn't want to test him in a game of horse. Had the three point line existed in those days he might have been a bigger factor.

How about Dave Downey? He scored 53 points against Indiana in a game in 1963. And that was way before the 3 point arc.

Which brings to mind a trivia question which I remember vividly as it was one of the highlights of a youthful experience. Downey played on the '63 team that won the Big Ten title on the last day. Ohio State had to lose their last game and the Illini had to win to give the Illini the title. Who beat the Buckeyes that day and who was their star player? The reason I remember is that I was with a high school teammate that had signed with this team and we sat at mid-court with our elbows on the elevated floor and were pulling for the home team....though no one knew the real reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.