Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (December 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy Rayl....thats a blast from the past...I remember watching him with his high arcing shot...was a big scorer if my memory serves me right...

This was back when the only network games were 1-2 times a week on Saturdays or Sundays....

I....am.....old.....(sigh)
He seemed to shoot as soon as he got over the time line. And they often swished. What a shooter.

JJB

Chicago, IL
Yeah, so is Kouma still a potential Illini lean?

Does anyone know for certain (or at least heard) if it's possible, eligibility-wise, he joins the squad next year? I thought all JUCO non-qualifiers were required to graduate before they could transfer to D-1, but I could certainly be mistaken.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
If they would have 3 point line back then Jimmy Rayl, Rick Mount, Downey, & Doug Collins would have averaged 40 a game.

Rick Mount was such an elite shooter, remember him shooting from the corners, falling out of bounds as the swish went down....

hunter Dickinson to Michigan. Good pull. Number 35 recruit in 2020. 7’2 center. We offered but apparently has been heading to Michigan for some time.
I think J. Howard will prove to be a good hire. Don't think they will worry much about being on the bubble. Remains to be seen if it translates to final fours and championships.

Remains to be seen if it translates to final fours and championships.

I think if Howard habitually gets them in tourney, and he will, he will be safe for a really long time even without this happening anytime soon. He will want more of course, but I am guessing if the former happens, most alumni will be happy for awhile at least.

Just found on Orange and Blue News...side listing of 2020 recruits coming in:

Adam Miller, Andre Curbelo, Coleman Hawkins and Bernard Kouma (?). I know this has been spoken about alot, but this is the first time I can remember actually seeing Kouma listed as a 2020 recruit by any source other than guessing/speculation on here.

Here's another big man's development to keep an eye on here at home if the other more highly profiled big-men for 2021 dont work out...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...0191223-o3j5wbcww5cqzmxzppmcc2pq6e-story.html

This kid is certainly one to watch for upside and growth. The thing that makes me wonder is BU wants an offense that is positionless, and although I commend him for trying to be a flexible coach with his offense now that he has a true big man in Kofi, it certainly presents other issues in regards to the rest of the roster makeup now and moving forward.

Kofi is to good to pass on, however, it now stymies Giorgi, if Kouma or another similiar to Ebube comes along, they are more interior players with little upside for out of the post, again, Giorgi is in no mans land, at least the one that he is the most comfortable in.

Moving forward, should the staff now focus on more like Hawkins and less on the likes of Kouma or a big like Edube?

Rick Mount was such an elite shooter, remember him shooting from the corners, falling out of bounds as the swish went down....
Rick Mount was the consummate shooter in my book. A contemporary of mine, I had to tip my hat to him as he simply was able to make a high percentage from every spot on the floor, at seemingly any angle on the floor, and while moving at any speed. Rayl was pretty much a gunner and somewhat streaky but was not hesitant to shoot from anywhere if open. Downey was a great scorer, but was not a gunner and shot little outside 20 ft., mostly because he did not have to. I must admit, I did not see Collins play much but his career success speaks for itself. Of course, Pistol Pete was impressive in everything he did.

However, the most impressive shooter outside of Mount that I ever saw play was "Downtown" Freddie Brown. The reason I say that is because he was not a starter late in his career but would sit on the bench, sometimes into the second half, and when called upon, would come in and hit his first 3 from behind the arc. He was not a volume shooter, just deadly accurate. Along with teammate Gus Williams, the two could destroy an opponent in about 5 minutes with a hurricane of 3 pt. raindrops. Watched them play maybe a dozen times and I do not remember Brown ever taking a shot where the ball did not hit inside the rim. That is hugely significant when professional defenders knew they needed to be in his face at all times.

Rick Mount was the consummate shooter in my book. A contemporary of mine, I had to tip my hat to him as he simply was able to make a high percentage from every spot on the floor, at seemingly any angle on the floor, and while moving at any speed. Rayl was pretty much a gunner and somewhat streaky but was not hesitant to shoot from anywhere if open. Downey was a great scorer, but was not a gunner and shot little outside 20 ft., mostly because he did not have to. I must admit, I did not see Collins play much but his career success speaks for itself. Of course, Pistol Pete was impressive in everything he did.

However, the most impressive shooter outside of Mount that I ever saw play was "Downtown" Freddie Brown. The reason I say that is because he was not a starter late in his career but would sit on the bench, sometimes into the second half, and when called upon, would come in and hit his first 3 from behind the arc. He was not a volume shooter, just deadly accurate. Along with teammate Gus Williams, the two could destroy an opponent in about 5 minutes with a hurricane of 3 pt. raindrops. Watched them play maybe a dozen times and I do not remember Brown ever taking a shot where the ball did not hit inside the rim. That is hugely significant when professional defenders knew they needed to be in his face at all times.

Freddy and I were colleagues back in the 1990’s, before I co-founded my own firm. I was running an investment group and he was head of a bank branch, he worked with me to bring in clients, especially athletes as I managed money for several pros. We were talking one day about me growing up in a small southern Illinois town of 500 and playing ball virtually every night on the outside concrete courts, even after basketball practice in the winter, or when we didn’t have a baseball game in the summer. He said he and some of his fellow Iowa teammates did a trip one summer down through Illinois playing in towns against whoever was on those type of courts. He said they got their butts kicked along the way, not much in the way of fouls being called, but learned so much that helped them in college. Freddy, and his family, are terrific individuals.

I like the thought of Ebube playing the four. He still has time to learn to play away from the basket, but I imagine he won’t get many opportunities to do that while in high school.

I like the thought of Ebube playing the four. He still has time to learn to play away from the basket, but I imagine he won’t get many opportunities to do that while in high school.

He seems like more of a traditional 4 by what limited I have seen online? Not sure more 3-4 type of plays set up for him would be beneficial. All back to the basket imo?

I am watching ahmad Bynum play as we speak at the pontiac holiday tournement. This kid is absolutely for real. 4 minutes to go in the first half and he is 3 for 3 from 3 and 3 for 3 from field with 2 free throws.. sitting nice with 17 points against oak park.. this kids an athletic freak

Kahil Whitney, played 2 minutes today. Kent. has 2 shooting guards committed for next year, both around 6"6.

I am watching ahmad Bynum play as we speak at the pontiac holiday tournement. This kid is absolutely for real. 4 minutes to go in the first half and he is 3 for 3 from 3 and 3 for 3 from field with 2 free throws.. sitting nice with 17 points against oak park.. this kids an athletic freak
Halftime he now has 21- 4 assists and no fouls..

He is committed to Depaul, correct?

He is committed to Depaul, correct?
Correct but he has not signed he is 2021 recruit However what I didnt mention was isaaiah barnes a kid illini have offered finished this gane strong and outplayed bynum. He has a ton of upside and can shoot he finished the 5th place game with 27-5-5... barnes looks solid..hope he comits to illini

Just finished watching ahmad bynum vs Isaiah barnes in the tournement Simeon won the game but it was a good one. Bynum was strong in the first half and non existent in the second half.. he finished with 22 points.
Barnes on the other hand holds an illini offer came out solid in the second half he finished with 27-5-5 he has a pure shot and can shoot the 3. Very athletic just needs a little time with fletch.. he has a ton of upside really hoping he comes to illini.

Status
Not open for further replies.