Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
2019 Illini Basketball Commits
Antwan January (2019 C) committed to Illinois on November 13th, 2018
Kofi Cockburn (2019 C) committed to Illinois on January 6th, 2019

Regular Signing Period Begins: April 17, 2019

rbachhuber's Scholarship Grid
Updated 2/25/2019

Last edited:

ILL in IA

Iowa City
2020 6’8 Kenwood F Seryee Lewis (@Seryee2020) will take unofficial visit to Illinois on Saturday.
https://twitter.com/okonscoutnews/
I like this kids game from what I have seen. For all the talk we tried to do last year on showing recruits how we used Leron in the offense, what GB has been doing this year has to really excite some of these F/C recruits and how big of a role they can have in the BU offense.

illini80

Forgottonia
Back to A. January from the old thread - Does UI admission = NCAA cleared?

I ask because of the Samba situation where he was on campus, which I assume means our admissions was completed, and then had to leave to take another class to get NCAA cleared.

I ask because of the Samba situation where he was on campus, which I assume means our admissions was completed, and then had to leave to take another class to get NCAA cleared.
I think more U of I admissions hence why they felt more confident in him getting in after the visit and meeting with admissions.

January is not NCAA cleared and may not be even up to his being on campus and admitted. Think Q Watkins. Also, Lovett, he was back and forth appealing with NCAA into October of his Freshman year.

illini80

Forgottonia
January is not NCAA cleared and may not be even up to his being on campus and admitted. Think Q Watkins. Also, Lovett, he was back and forth appealing with NCAA into October of his Freshman year.
Thanks. That was my understanding, but wanted to be sure. I assume if he enrolled and had passing grades he would be eligible sophomore year? Or are their requirments that can only be met as a prep? That wouldn't make sense, but also wouldn't surprise me.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
From what I've gathered, here's how Freshman eligibility works (and why it's confusing to players and fans):
  • Players need to complete a required number of NCAA approved courses in each subject, and do so above a certain GPA for each subject.
  • Players also need a certain SAT/ACT score, which is relative to their GPA. The higher their GPA, the lower their ACT/SAT score can be.
Even if players have completed their courses, many of these prospects attend multiple high schools and have difficulty tracking down their records. Some kids have to retake classes to get higher grads. Others need to retake the ACT/SAT to get a certain score.

So what ends up happening is that players have the GPA and test score they need to be admitted by the university, but haven't taken the right classes or gotten high enough grades in certain subjects to be cleared by the NCAA.

From what I've gathered, here's how Freshman eligibility works (and why it's confusing to players and fans):
  • Players need to complete a required number of NCAA approved courses in each subject, and do so above a certain GPA for each subject.
  • Players also need a certain SAT/ACT score, which is relative to their GPA. The higher their GPA, the lower their ACT/SAT score can be.
Even if players have completed their courses, many of these prospects attend multiple high schools and have difficulty tracking down their records. Some kids have to retake classes to get higher grads. Others need to retake the ACT/SAT to get a certain score.

So what ends up happening is that players have the GPA and test score they need to be admitted by the university, but haven't taken the right classes or gotten high enough grades in certain subjects to be cleared by the NCAA.

Prospects sometimes run afoul of this one especially in the math area. They must have three math classes at the algebra level and above. Many schools offer all sorts of watered down math classes with titles like consumer math (if it takes one cup of flour to make one loaf of bread, how may cups of flour does it take to make two loaves of bread? a) two, b)3000, c)all of the above, d) Saturn).

Prospects sometimes run afoul of this one especially in the math area. They must have three math classes at the algebra level and above. Many schools offer all sorts of watered down math classes with titles like consumer math (if it takes one cup of flour to make one loaf of bread, how may cups of flour does it take to make two loaves of bread? a) two, b)3000, c)all of the above, d) Saturn).

I bet bread from Saturn is out of this world.....:alien:

It's not about who's better. Yes, KeShawn looks like a player. But Lewis looks promising as well and fits a bigger area of need, especially given that Adam Miller is our #1 priority at guard in the 2020 class and we have a great shot at landing him.
Keshawn played in my high school division and he good but I don't think big ten good

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Breaking news. As of today, January is over.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Monteverde very long and athletic. Oak Hill not looking good right now.
15491462757357856696261682732268.jpg

Attachments

• 15491462184643491417739717776208.jpg
    15491462184643491417739717776208.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 476

pruman91

Paducah, Ky

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

foby

Bonnaroo Land
would like to know how this board feels about this recruitment

yes or no ?
I thought I made it clear. I'm expecting someone else to sign, but if that falls through, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.