Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little background on Reeves he play his freshman and sophomore year at Simeon but wanted more exposure so he transferred to shadow mountain in Arizona and ball out but I think they got a better prospect and so he decided to transfer back to simeon were his is they best player he got so game

Also second question let’s say everything works out and Ayo stays, Kipper doesn’t grad transfer, no one transfers, January-Kofi-Wing(Shannon let’s say) makes it to campus. What does our rotation look like next year? I feel like we would have a complete 1-13, but who is getting playing time and how much? Thanks.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Also second question let’s say everything works out and Ayo stays, Kipper doesn’t grad transfer, no one transfers, January-Kofi-Wing(Shannon let’s say) makes it to campus. What does our rotation look like next year? I feel like we would have a complete 1-13, but who is getting playing time and how much? Thanks.

Players play players! :)

Wow after watching Oak Hill vs Montverde, Precious Achiuwa is exactly the type of athlete we need. Outside of Tevian, who’s our next best athlete? Looks like the staff offered Precious already. Go get him Orlando!

Kofi did some good things but I’m no longer expecting him to set the world on fire. He’s really big, but his mobility is limited. He should at least clog up the lane and that should lead to less opposition layups next year. He’s going to be a valuable piece next year.

I have trouble seeing a place for Higgs next year with Giorgi, Samba, Kofi, and Antwan. Like to see a wing and a pg type. One more year of Dre and possible loss of Ayo. Like to see an experienced pg player on the roster (in 2020) even if we get a Miller or other talented frosh in 2020. Only want Shannon if judged to surpass Aaron as an upper classman. I.e. Someone who has a high ceiling but may need development. Expect Tevian to be starting wing with Kipper and DaMonte as backups. Based on the staff's talent judgements so far I'm not savy enough to second guess them. I do wonder if they really had Shannon as a high priority. This board is always higher on local recruits than I see justified but probably because when we were strong recruiting them we had good years.
Why would we assume the Higgs isnt as good or better than any of these players? People did the same think in thinking GB was not as good as others before the season and how did that turn out?

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
After running out of OVs, the concern is understandable. But we aren't restocking an empty cupboard this year. If Reeves gets an OV, I'm good with it. Building a strong relationship with Simeon is bound to pay dividends.

I’m good with this too. I for one am tired of seeing Simeon players and others from Northern Illinois in the starting lineups for P5 teams all over the country. I know we can’t get them all but we need to do better. We need to rebuild the relationship with Simeon and start getting our share of Illinois players.

Why would we assume the Higgs isnt as good or better than any of these players? People did the same think in thinking GB was not as good as others before the season and how did that turn out?
Good point but was not impressed with his clips and he arrived out of shape and injured and evidently still is as he hasn't been reported practicing.

Good point but was not impressed with his clips and he arrived out of shape and injured and evidently still is as he hasn't been reported practicing.
Pretty sure he had surgery, explains why he doesn’t practice. Personally I was very impressed with his clips. Seems like the type of athlete we are always missing

The goofy thing about natural athletes is sometimes they can sustain injuries, put on some lb’s, even tack on some years and still be a lot more athletic than their peers

I can understand UoI establishing/improving/whatever comm lines with Chicago.

But, what I fully expect, now that we have been through the ringer, is that Chicago does the same. Chicago has to realize that both sides have interests and will act accordingly. It is interests that matter and not some news item. BTW, where is that writer? Just asking.

Wow after watching Oak Hill vs Montverde, Precious Achiuwa is exactly the type of athlete we need. Outside of Tevian, who’s our next best athlete? Looks like the staff offered Precious already. Go get him Orlando!

Kofi did some good things but I’m no longer expecting him to set the world on fire. He’s really big, but his mobility is limited. He should at least clog up the lane and that should lead to less opposition layups next year. He’s going to be a valuable piece next year.
Kofi looks completely disinterested in defense.If that doesn't change he'll rarely see the floor.

sacraig

The desert
Ayo, DaMonte
Trent, Dre
Tevian, Kipper, Alan
Giorgio, Samba, Higgs
Kofi, Antwan
Or some combination thereof. Mins +30 for Ayo and Trent and shot in the dark for everyone else depending on development, matchups, and chemistry and phase of the moon. Lots of different talented pieces to solve the puzzle.

*Giorgi

He makes buckets, not clothes.

Kofi looks completely disinterested in defense.If that doesn't change he'll rarely see the floor.
I have a feeling that it will change, maybe in degrees though, better shape (Fletch), buying in, got a feeling BU and GB will be in his ear also.

Deleted member 746094

D

Most high school kids are completely disinterested in defense now a days. These kids get recruited more in the AAU season where, from what I have seen, there is no defense played at all. He has all the physical traits you could ever ask for at the 5. Kids with his athletic ability can turn defense on and I am sure BU has let him know we have a certain style we play here.

I know for a fact Coach Smith at Simeon wanted Parker and Rose to attend Illinois, but ultimately it’s not up to him. He was pushing Rose ‘very hard’ towards UI. He has always been a pretty big supporter, it’s seems recently he has been more down or negative which I don’t care for much. Never a bad thing having a good relationship with Simeon.

Only IL can spin a 5* big negatively.

Good grief.
I’d be surprised if he doesn’t look a lot different next year after weight training and conditioning. I’ve noticed the big high school kids pick up fouls for just being in the vicinity, so he’s better off not being too active. You need guys with his ability to stay on the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.