Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have trouble seeing a place for Higgs next year with Giorgi, Samba, Kofi, and Antwan. Like to see a wing and a pg type. One more year of Dre and possible loss of Ayo. Like to see an experienced pg player on the roster (in 2020) even if we get a Miller or other talented frosh in 2020. Only want Shannon if judged to surpass Aaron as an upper classman. I.e. Someone who has a high ceiling but may need development. Expect Tevian to be starting wing with Kipper and DaMonte as backups. Based on the staff's talent judgements so far I'm not savy enough to second guess them. I do wonder if they really had Shannon as a high priority. This board is always higher on local recruits than I see justified but probably because when we were strong recruiting them we had good years.

The clouds, that had gathered at the start of the season (and from last year), are beginning to melt away. As the sun shines brighter look for a lot of kids, including (especially?) from Chicago, to take a harder look at UoI. Destination U.

would like to know how this board feels about this recruitment

yes or no ?

Even though it’s been a total circus, if Shannon wants to be an Illini we should be very happy. We need all the long high motor athletes we can get our hands on

I have trouble seeing a place for Higgs next year with Giorgi, Samba, Kofi, and Antwan. Like to see a wing and a pg type. One more year of Dre and possible loss of Ayo. Like to see an experienced pg player on the roster (in 2020) even if we get a Miller or other talented frosh in 2020. Only want Shannon if judged to surpass Aaron as an upper classman. I.e. Someone who has a high ceiling but may need development. Expect Tevian to be starting wing with Kipper and DaMonte as backups. Based on the staff's talent judgements so far I'm not savy enough to second guess them. I do wonder if they really had Shannon as a high priority. This board is always higher on local recruits than I see justified but probably because when we were strong recruiting them we had good years.

Higgs is more of a 4 than a 5. So he’s competing more with Kip, Tev, and Giorgi. Giorgi will obviously get many minutes at the 5 and Kip and Tev can both slide to a guard spot. So plenty of minutes for Higgs if he deserves them.

Trent will be a senior in 2020 so we will definitely have an experienced PG to play with Miller.

sacraig

The desert
Higgs is more of a 4 than a 5. So he’s competing more with Kip, Tev, and Giorgi. Giorgi will obviously get many minutes at the 5 and Kip and Tev can both slide to a guard spot. So plenty of minutes for Higgs if he deserves them.

Trent will be a senior in 2020 so we will definitely have an experienced PG to play with Miller.

He won't be competing with Kip. They've said all along that Kipper is playing out of position and is more natural in the 3 spot. I'd expect him to move there next year assuming we have enough people manning the 4 and 5 that we don't need him there just as a body. That's also assuming he doesn't transfer or something.

Higgs is 6'7-6-8 with long arms and hops and we know he's got a Big10 body, let's see what's up when healthy. Could be a monster wing for us.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Build it, and they will come.

Reeves is not an elite recruit and does not fit the "build it and they will come" meme. (Obviously, we have a certain degree of interest and he's a good player with upside).

Deleted member 746094

D
Reeves is not an elite recruit and does not fit the "build it and they will come" meme. (Obviously, we have a certain degree of interest and he's a good player with upside).

Is this a sign that staff isn’t feeling great about Brown, Patterson or the other top wings we have all been hoping for? Maybe this is why TSJ is hinting at coming our way? Coaches rengaged once we got a feeling the other top wings may not be coming to C/U?

I am purely speculating as I know nothing about our chances with the tops guys mentioned above and I have never heard of the kid from Simeon until this post.

Deleted member 4333

D
Reeves is not even listed in the 247 Sports database. Verbal Commits shows offers from Detroit, NIU, Milwaukee, St Louis, Northern Arizona and Chicago State.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Is this a sign that staff isn’t feeling great about Brown, Patterson or the other top wings we have all been hoping for? Maybe this is why TSJ is hinting at coming our way? Coaches rengaged once we got a feeling the other top wings may not be coming to C/U?

I am purely speculating as I know nothing about our chances with the tops guys mentioned above and I have never heard of the kid from Simeon until this post.

They play different positions. Reeves is a SG, not a 3. Don't know squat about him, but thinking that some (a lot?) of our recruitment is based on goodwill building. Fence mending may be in order, especially after the THT debacle.

Simeon has some elite underclassmen, IIRC.

Last edited:

201154JC

Rockford, IL
For what it's worth, Reeves was their leading scorer the last two games. He had 17 vs Belleville West (EJ's team) in an overtime loss and 24 the game before in a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.