Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TEN BLUE CHIP PROSPECTS WHO CONTINUE TO CONFIRM THEIR STATUS NATIONALLY

Nimari Burnett – 2020 – PG – Prolific Prep (CA)
In the same fashion that Beekman has been very good this season much of the same can be said of Burnett whose played at a very high level for Prolific Prep. Another multi-dimensional guard who can score at multiple levels and create as well, Burnett has a nice plus length frame that gives him an advantage over most guards. After a strong spring and summer, Burnett has simply built on that status and continued to solidify his status as one of the top prospects on the west coast and one of the top guards in the country with his stellar play this winter.

Max Christie – 2021 – SG – Rolling Meadows (IL)
An elite scoring threat who’s quietly trended into top ten national status on some boards, Christie can fill it up and he picked up this high school season right where he left off last summer and that was scoring the basketball and playing at an elite level. An injury slowed him a bit a few weeks back but he’s back at it making the game look easy and contributing at a high level. He keeps the game simple and efficient and he produces at an elite level in the process. Expect him to be a consensus top 10 national prospect before it’s all said and done.

Adam Miller – 2020 – G – Morgan Park (WI)
A high level scoring talent whose stock slowed a bit last spring due to injury, Miller’s play during the high school season has only re-confirmed that he’s the top 25 national prospect in the 2020 class that most thought prior to injury. He can score in bunches and whether it’s in space or through contact he has the ability to finish at multiple levels and put up big numbers. He is the alpha on a Morgan Park team that should again potentially challenge for a state title in Illinois and Miller’s play since the injury last spring has put his name back where it belongs among the best the 2020 class has to offer both regionally and nationally.

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4278

FIVE UNDERRATED 2020 PROSPECTS PRIMED TO TAKE OFF

Isaiah Rivera – 6-4 – SG – Geneseo (IL)
A skilled aggressive scoring guard with an ability to finish from multiple levels, Rivera plays hard and he’s always looking to score. He can attack off the bounce, he hits the mid-range jumper, and he can rip the nets from beyond the arc as well. Athletically he’s solid and instinctively he’s advanced making for an intriguing prospect whose best basketball is in front of him. He currently holds offers from Drake, Loyola-Chicago, Southern, St. Johns, and most recently Bradley. Expect that list to grow over the next 6-8 months with a strong spring and summer campaign.

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4276

UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted
(((Adam Lichtenstein)))‏Verified account @ABLichtenstein 14h14 hours ago
Looks like some Illinois coaches are in the crowd tonight to check out Western star Damari Monsanto.

(((Adam Lichtenstein)))‏Verified account @ABLichtenstein 12h12 hours ago
Damari Monsanto scores 25 and leads Western to a road victory over Deerfield Beach in the Class 9A regional quarterfinals. @31damari

High majors targeting fast rising junior Samson Ruzhentsev

Samson Ruzhentsev has managed to fly somewhat under the national radar.

But not for long.

Playing at the NACA National Basketball Tournament on Wednesday, which was held at Fort Bluff Camp, Ruzhentsev showed off immense potential and an impressive three-level scoring package...

While Ruzhentsev wasn’t ranked nationally heading into Wednesday, he had already accumulated scholarship offers from Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Florida and Ole Miss.

https://247sports.com/college/baske...st-rising-junior-Samson-Ruzhentsev-129343689/

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Notable IL HS recruits playing at Geneseo and Rolling Meadows. Who would have guessed that?

(((Adam Lichtenstein)))‏Verified account @ABLichtenstein 14h14 hours ago
Looks like some Illinois coaches are in the crowd tonight to check out Western star Damari Monsanto.

(((Adam Lichtenstein)))‏Verified account @ABLichtenstein 12h12 hours ago
Damari Monsanto scores 25 and leads Western to a road victory over Deerfield Beach in the Class 9A regional quarterfinals. @31damari

Highlights are not from the game, but overall. 6'6" 210

Story from last nights game with video discussing Illinois:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/fl-sp-western-db-bhoop-rq-20190221-story.html

Last edited:

Max Christie – 2021 – SG – Rolling Meadows (IL)
An elite scoring threat who’s quietly trended into top ten national status on some boards, Christie can fill it up and he picked up this high school season right where he left off last summer and that was scoring the basketball and playing at an elite level. An injury slowed him a bit a few weeks back but he’s back at it making the game look easy and contributing at a high level. He keeps the game simple and efficient and he produces at an elite level in the process. Expect him to be a consensus top 10 national prospect before it’s all said and done.

A high level scoring talent whose stock slowed a bit last spring due to injury, Miller’s play during the high school season has only re-confirmed that he’s the top 25 national prospect in the 2020 class that most thought prior to injury. He can score in bunches and whether it’s in space or through contact he has the ability to finish at multiple levels and put up big numbers. He is the alpha on a Morgan Park team that should again potentially challenge for a state title in Illinois and Miller’s play since the injury last spring has put his name back where it belongs among the best the 2020 class has to offer both regionally and nationally.

So who's better, Christie or Miller (yeah, yeah, I know we want both)? Miller gets more hype because he's a year older and the Peoria/MIP connections but Christie seems to be ranked higher nationally in his respective class.

Last edited:
So who's better, Christie or Miller (yeah, yeah, I know we want both)? Miller gets more hype because he's a year older and the Peoria/MIP connections but Christie seems to be ranked higher nationally in his respective class.

Whoever signs on the line that is dotted.

Deleted member 654622

D

Why does it have Morgan Park listed in Wisconsin?

Its a little strange to watch a video where the PG is the tallest guy on the floor.
Setting that aside, he looks quick, the passes and play in the paint are great to see and it looks like he has in the gym range.
Plus, in two games, he never missed :p

Notable IL HS recruits playing at Geneseo and Rolling Meadows. Who would have guessed that?

Just from recent memory, seems like there is a talented kid about every 3 years that comes from somewhere other than Chicago area, Peoria area, or St. Louis area. I guess you could also throw in Bloomington because they seem to be producing some good talent recently. Ethan Happ, Meyers Leonard, Chasson Randle come to mind.

Is it just me, or does the Quad Cities area really underperform? I believe they have close to 400,000 people. Seems like Illinois and Iowa should be battling it out for a kid there almost every year.

Just from recent memory, seems like there is a talented kid about every 3 years that comes from somewhere other than Chicago area, Peoria area, or St. Louis area. I guess you could also throw in Bloomington because they seem to be producing some good talent recently. Ethan Happ, Meyers Leonard, Chasson Randle come to mind.

Is it just me, or does the Quad Cities area really underperform? I believe they have close to 400,000 people. Seems like Illinois and Iowa should be battling it out for a kid there almost every year.
From your list, Happ and Randle are both QC kids, and DJ Carton is pretty highly regarded as well, so it's not like the area's been completely dry. Illinois and Iowa competing for that talent is another story, of course...

(DJ Carton sounds less like a basketball player and more like the headlining performer on the Camel Lights EDM extravaganza, but I'm sure he'll be a thorn in our side regardless.)

Robinson is nowhere near Bloomington.

Robinson is nowhere near Bloomington.
And Randle was from Quad City area, I believe - Rock Island - not really near Bloomington either, as was Happ, as well. Bloomington has put out most recently Chris Payton headed to SIU and then the really good player that has since graduated from OSU.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Guys, what's my reaction supposed to be? Do I react with skepticism over the kid's ranking/stars or do I cites Giorgi and the N=1 sample size of our staff finding unheralded gems?

And Randle was from Quad City area, I believe - Rock Island - not really near Bloomington either, as was Happ, as well. Bloomington has put out most recently Chris Payton headed to SIU and then the really good player that has since graduated from OSU.
Okoro was from there also, not originally though.

Status
Not open for further replies.