Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good comp, but Parker's a better outside shooter. Curbelo is dynamite, and I fully expect him to have a great career at Illinois.
Tony Parker is likely a much better outside shooter right now. But young TP was not much of a shooter. He was an awesome player and was a starter on a NBA playoff team at like 19 years old, but he was not a shooter. (I'm pretty sure of this, but did not look up actual stats.)

Tony Parker is likely a much better outside shooter right now. But young TP was not much of a shooter. He was an awesome player and was a starter on a NBA playoff team at like 19 years old, but he was not a shooter. (I'm pretty sure of this, but did not look up actual stats.)
Also, I don't like the comparison much. I guess size-wise, they are probably similar, but Parker really wasn't seen as a true-make your teammates better-point guard, IMO.

It’s been said already, but it’s comforting knowing our obvious weaknesses are being addressed in this class. It reminds me of last year when we were clearly lacking size & talent in the front court, and then we got Kofi. Besides the shooters we’ll have, Curbelo is perfect for relieving these brutal scoring droughts & making us look competent going against a press. At the end of the day, even if the half-court offense is improved it seems an Underwood teams best offense will always be in transition, where Curbelo is mighty dangerous. Good things coming

What's the word on Hunter Dickinson? Hasn't signed with Michigan yet. Could we still be in the running there?

sacraig

The desert
Yes, but before we do, I want to get my 2 cents in. I see him as a smaller, more athletic Larry Bird type. ;)

giphy.gif

Can we get some more actual recruiting news so that we can stop with these silly comparison discussions? Good God.
Lol..agreed. I am fired up we got the young AC and is rated around 48 not that it really matters. The good part about AC is at 6.ft he is likely a 4 year player. Everyone's comparing him with NBA Hall of Fame type players. That's what I find amusing and a lot of Orange Kool Aid

We have a solid class and transfers coming and and uts great it seems to get better each year. That's enough for me.

What's the word on Hunter Dickinson? Hasn't signed with Michigan yet. Could we still be in the running there?

No shot even if he de-commits. The same goes for Terrance Williams.

Isaiah Todd hasn't signed with them either, and he committed before the fall signing period. Lots of rumors flying that he and Jalen Suggs are heading overseas together.

They're going to likely wind up getting Josh Christopher too.

Howard is going to bring in some elite talent, the question is will he be able to do anything with it...

Lol..agreed. I am fired up we got the young AC and is rated around 48 not that it really matters. The good part about AC is at 6.ft he is likely a 4 year player. Everyone's comparing him with NBA Hall of Fame type players. That's what I find amusing and a lot of Orange Kool Aid

We have a solid class and transfers coming and and uts great it seems to get better each year. That's enough for me.
Literally every time comparisons are brought up, someone says this. Then, someone (me this time) has to have a rebuttal that states that we do not think the players are as good as that player, but that they play the game in a similar way. It makes zero sense to compare someone to some average college player, since no one would know what you are talking about.

If someone says he is similar to Mike Bibby or Tony Parker, then your mind has somewhere to go. If someone compares him to Jason Gardner, many wouldn't have anything to pull up in their mind to compare him to.

And Gardner was not just an average college pg. He was very good.

Literally every time comparisons are brought up, someone says this. Then, someone (me this time) has to have a rebuttal that states that we do not think the players are as good as that player, but that they play the game in a similar way. It makes zero sense to compare someone to some average college player, since no one would know what you are talking about.

If someone says he is similar to Mike Bibby or Tony Parker, then your mind has somewhere to go. If someone compares him to Jason Gardner, many wouldn't have anything to pull up in their mind to compare him to.

Ok, i understand. I dont think we all do that. . I once told a friend that coming out of high school that Jalen Brunson reminded me of Mahmoud Abdul Rauf and when i said it i thought he would be that good. In college he was pretty damn good. Maybe not in the NBA at least not yet.
AC maybe he has a little Sherman Douglas in him. Good solid quicl college pass first PG.

Last edited:
Ok, i understand. I dont think we all do that. . I once told a friend that Jalen Brunson reminded me of Mahmoud Abdul Rauf and when i said it i thought he would be that good. Maybe he will maybe he wont.
AC maybe he has a little Sherman Douglas in him. Good solid quicl college pass first PG.
See, I have no clue who Sherman Douglas is, and I vaguely have an idea of Abdul Rauf. So it doesn't say much to me. But to your point, most comparisons take us off topic as people (me included, at times) question the comparison - are we comparing stature, build, etc? Skills? Are they that good? Skin color? ha.

See, I have no clue who Sherman Douglas is, and I vaguely have an idea of Abdul Rauf. So it doesn't say much to me. But to your point, most comparisons take us off topic as people (me included, at times) question the comparison - are we comparing stature, build, etc? Skills? Are they that good? Skin color? ha.
You must be young. Chris Jackson;Mahmoud Abdul Rauf was better than Brunson, Sherman Douglas was an elite college PG and second round draft pick off the 89 Syracuse team and at one time was the all time NCAA assist record holder. We defeated Him and Derrick Coleman in the elite eight in 1989. He was very good in college and if you were around then you would know who he is if you are a basketball fan i assure you.

AC reminds me of him. Should be a very good college player and dish out a ton of assist in 4 years of college and take us deep in the dance one day. I just look at their skill not their skin color ( Sherman Douglas is black and AC is Latino). I just hope we have reasonable expectations for these recruits is all.

Last edited:
You must be young. Second round draft pick on the 89 Syracyse team and at one time was the all time NCAA assist record holder. We defeated Him and Derrick Coleman in the elite eight in 1989. He was very good in college and if you were around then you would know who he is if you are a basketball fan i assure you.

AC reminds me of him. Should be a very good college player and dish out a ton of assist in 4 years of college and take us deep in the dance one day.
Haha, don't feel young most of the time! but yeah, I'm 33. Only started watching Frankie Williams freshman year. (Watched a tiny bit before with Kiwane.)

You must be young. Chris Jackson;Mahmoud Abdul Rauf was better than Brunson, Sherman Douglas was an elite college PG and second round draft pick off the 89 Syracuse team and at one time was the all time NCAA assist record holder. We defeated Him and Derrick Coleman in the elite eight in 1989. He was very good in college and if you were around then you would know who he is if you are a basketball fan i assure you.

AC reminds me of him. Should be a very good college player and dish out a ton of assist in 4 years of college and take us deep in the dance one day. I just look at their skill not their skin color ( Sherman Douglas is black and AC is Latino). I just hope we have reasonable expectations for these recruits is all.

With the upmost respect, and admitting my age starts with a 2, I have a bone to pick about Jackson and Abdul Rauf being better players than Brunson at the collegiate level. But it’s neither here nor there and I don’t want to derail the forum.

Illinois will pay Luke Goode a visit on Friday. One has to be giddy over the possibilty of either 1 or 2 guys out of the wing pool of Pinzon, Goode, Weston, or Christie.

I agree with your point, ive said Curbello's closest comp is Bibby. Not saying Curbello will win us a national championship or have a 10 plus NBA career. At the high school level just saying they have a similiar game. Some players don't transition to college as do others, so we have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.