Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
And still he was massively better than any/all of the PGs Groce pulled.

That's probably not entirely fair. Groce pulled in Trent Frazier originally. He was just fired before Trent could play for him. Also, Te'Jon Lucas is having a pretty good career now. It's hard to say how he would have compared had he stayed in a major conference.

Otherwise, I agree.

Bailey

Los Angeles
To be clear - Curbelo isn't a very good deep ball shooter right? I think that's where the hard stop is regarding Nash, CP3, Brunson etc.

Snider seems like a great comp at the same stage.

That's probably not entirely fair. Groce pulled in Trent Frazier originally. He was just fired before Trent could play for him. Also, Te'Jon Lucas is having a pretty good career now. It's hard to say how he would have compared had he stayed in a major conference.

Otherwise, I agree.

Well stated on Lucas, is you compare the numbers, Lucas is actually better overall,...that said there is this slight thing called quality of opponents and such.

So we seem to be halfway there to having a solid Caribbean pipeline going thanks to OA. Did he get many of these kids to go to UK??? My memory isn't the greatest but I am thinking no.... I don't recall there being (m)any players from there being 5 star type players, so they wouldn't likely fit the UK persona. But if we can extend/keep OA here and reel in the Pinzon/Jones/Reyes types I think we can make a legitimate claim to having an established pipeline. If this were to become a thing I honestly think we can build ourselves into a Gonzaga clone of sorts! What do you think???

So we seem to be halfway there to having a solid Caribbean pipeline going thanks to OA. Did he get many of these kids to go to UK??? My memory isn't the greatest but I am thinking no.... I don't recall there being (m)any players from there being 5 star type players, so they wouldn't likely fit the UK persona. But if we can extend/keep OA here and reel in the Pinzon/Jones/Reyes types I think we can make a legitimate claim to having an established pipeline. If this were to become a thing I honestly think we can build ourselves into a Gonzaga clone of sorts! What do you think???

Off the top of my head, I'm fairly certain Karl-Anthony Towns is at least part Dominican.

Mom was from there, but KAT was born in NJ. That counts though.....

Exactly...keep it up staff!
Of course we wouldn't do as well as them you realize, there is the whole conference thing and all...... But I would absolutely be ecstatic if we could field a team of as talented players year in, and year out, as Gonzaga does. :thumb:

No Christie tonight. Scheduling issue. No AJ Casey either, who was a target to visit with the staff tonight as well...

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA

I was repping illini gear regularly between 2014-2018 in Puerto Rico, you guys are welcome

Deleted member 654622

D
Duke isn't my main concern for either of them.

Both recruitments are winnable at this point.
Very much respect your opinion. I will remain safely skeptical
tumblr_nubhydsUkG1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

I think you’re missing the point.
Agreed. Trent would run circles in that league...just like Nunn did...regardless of how terrible someone thinks Trent is comparatively.

Suggesting that Te'Jon was going to become the player Trent is at Illinois is a bit of a stretch, IMO. But Te'Jon is playing really good in the conference he's in now and it delights me to see it.

I think that's the point...loosely.

What numbers are you comparing? Lucas is averaging 16 points at 26% usage in a conference where the best team is worse than every team in the Big Ten except Nebraska. Frazier is averaging 9.5 points at 15% usage. Sure, Lucas has a higher assist rate, but his turnover rate is almost 10% higher.

I have no ill-will toward Lucas and I'm glad he's found success after Illinois. But given the choice between the two, I'll take Frazier every time.

I was actually comparing Lucas or either really to Snider....the original player mentioned in comparision.

Status
Not open for further replies.