Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that watched the game last night knows that Ayo and Dre will not be easily replaced. Love our recruits but we will not be as good at the guard position.
We for sure will miss them. A couple of things though we should be a better shooting team though due to possibly Miller, Hutcherson, Grandison, and if Hawkins is ready. Also, Curbelo is the first natural point we have had in a long time. You are right though about both and they will be missed a lot.

Anyone that watched the game last night knows that Ayo and Dre will not be easily replaced. Love our recruits but we will not be as good at the guard position.
Totally agree. It will be very difficult to replace what those guys bring. The good news is that we don’t have to be the same team next year. We’ll be radically different, in my mind. As another poster pointed out, with Curbelo coming in, we have a true passer. We have the potential to have several solid shooters. Now, we have Trent and Alan that can shoot. Maybe next year we have Trent, Alan, Miller, Grandison, and Hutcherson? Maybe not. Also, if Kofi is back and improved and if Giorgi is used more to his strengths, and we could be more dominant in the paint, which could make our shooters look even better. Can Damonte have a break out year and average 5 points??? I’m excited to see where we are.

Hawkins gives us the guy we don’t have on the team this year.
BBV would've played a similar role and has the body to compete in the B1G already. It's so curious to me as to the love some posters have for Hawkins? He's like a no-doubt difference maker next year for some posters and I'm not sure I see it. He has improved and with the program and strength conditioning, he'll take a step...but he'll still be a freshman playing and trying to compete against a list of PF that are bigger, faster, and stronger than him. Don't get me wrong, I like his upside, but he is not going to be a key contributor IMO next year. He'll play spots here and there. Gives BU a different line-up/look which can throw a team off balance, but if he averages a line of 2 pts, 3 rb, 0.3 turnovers I would be happy. He'll probably have a double digit game during the early part of the season, but not sure he makes BU's final rotation consistently.

I actually think curbelo is probably the most ready given his handles, IQ, and the position he plays. Defense will be key to learn for him (as it will be for ALL the freshman), but I feel like his game right off the bat will be well suited for next year. I would consider him a wash as a replacement for Feliz. Of course Feliz does some things better as does curbelo does vice versa, but all in all, net neutral in terms of difference. The big deal will be to replace Ayo's end of game alpha mentality. Is that Ace Wolf? Is that Curbelo? Is that Trent? Is that any of the transfers? I don't know, but there needs to be someone who can manufacture a bucket when all eyes and the end of the game is near...I guess we'll have to see

We will certainly miss both of them We will need someone to step up and be that guy that can create their own shot when the clock ticks down like Ayo cam. I have yet to see that skill set consistently from a player that is playing now. We will have more shooters though and maybe someone will step up. Also the new transger rule vote in April that will likely be passed will have a major impact on all of college basketball.

Hitting big shots as the clock ticks down will always be apart of the game, but ideally with a solid point guard and shooters we won't have to find ourselves needing someone to just go iso.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
What we lose in Ayo and Feliz (their ability to create) I'm hoping we offset by the fact that we could have way more shooters on the team next year. That by itself will open up the lanes and allow Kofi to go to work consistently.

Can you imagine a world where teams can't even double Kofi because sagging of their defender has a 40% of getting us 3 points? (as long as Kofi can pass it back out)

I also think (due to the shooting) Curbelo will be able get around his man...and even if he can't score like Ayo, he will break down the defense and find the open guy for the correct shot at the end of the shot clock. (something we are seeing on display by him in each new highlight)

philcon

Plano, TX
We will certainly miss both of them We will need someone to step up and be that guy that can create their own shot when the clock ticks down like Ayo cam. I have yet to see that skill set consistently from a player that is playing now. We will have more shooters though and maybe someone will step up. Also the new transger rule vote in April that will likely be passed will have a major impact on all of college basketball.
I 100% agree with this statement as far as comparing only the guards. I also think Feliz is very underrated. Having said that assuming Kofi stays it's a different dynamic next year. If Kofi learns to receive the pass and then kick it back out to the guards if we have people like AM that can hit the three the two man game inside-outside will be virtually unstoppable. Teams can sag on Kofi now because they don't fear us hitting the 3 consistently. Add to that many of the top big men in B10 will be gone after this year makes it even more unstoppable.

What we lose in Ayo and Feliz (their ability to create) I'm hoping we offset by the fact that we could have way more shooters on the team next year. That by itself will open up the lanes and allow Kofi to go to work consistently.

Can you imagine a world where teams can't even double Kofi because sagging of their defender has a 40% of getting us 3 points? (as long as Kofi can pass it back out)

I also think (due to the shooting) Curbelo will be able get around his man...and even if he can't score like Ayo, he will break down the defense and find the open guy for the correct shot at the end of the shot clock. (something we are seeing on display by him in each new highlight)
Curbelo is incredibly tough to stay in front of, he's got jet quickness and is a magician with the ball and we'll have more good shooters to take advantage of his breaking down defenses and creating open looks. We're going to be 9 or 10 deep too, which can wear teams down late. Kofi, Hawkins, Giorgi and BBV inside, guards wings Trent, DaMonte, Curbelo, Miller, AG, Hutcherson or Grandison, that's 10 deep. I believe Wood played 10 at OSU that averaged around 14 minutes at the lowest.

BBV would've played a similar role and has the body to compete in the B1G already. It's so curious to me as to the love some posters have for Hawkins? He's like a no-doubt difference maker next year for some posters and I'm not sure I see it. He has improved and with the program and strength conditioning, he'll take a step...but he'll still be a freshman playing and trying to compete against a list of PF that are bigger, faster, and stronger than him. Don't get me wrong, I like his upside, but he is not going to be a key contributor IMO next year. He'll play spots here and there. Gives BU a different line-up/look which can throw a team off balance, but if he averages a line of 2 pts, 3 rb, 0.3 turnovers I would be happy. He'll probably have a double digit game during the early part of the season, but not sure he makes BU's final rotation consistently.

I actually think curbelo is probably the most ready given his handles, IQ, and the position he plays. Defense will be key to learn for him (as it will be for ALL the freshman), but I feel like his game right off the bat will be well suited for next year. I would consider him a wash as a replacement for Feliz. Of course Feliz does some things better as does curbelo does vice versa, but all in all, net neutral in terms of difference. The big deal will be to replace Ayo's end of game alpha mentality. Is that Ace Wolf? Is that Curbelo? Is that Trent? Is that any of the transfers? I don't know, but there needs to be someone who can manufacture a bucket when all eyes and the end of the game is near...I guess we'll have to see
Hawkins is long, has guard like abilities to put the ball on the floor and pass and he can make 3s at 6'10". Is he skinny, yeah. If you're watching Michigan-Rutgers right now, take a look at Franz Wagner and tell me he's not skinny.

IbleedOandB2014

In BU we trust
Chattanooga
Curbelo is incredibly tough to stay in front of, he's got jet quickness and is a magician with the ball and we'll have more good shooters to take advantage of his breaking down defenses and creating open looks. We're going to be 9 or 10 deep too, which can wear teams down late. Kofi, Hawkins, Giorgi and BBV inside, guards wings Trent, DaMonte, Curbelo, Miller, AG, Hutcherson or Grandison, that's 10 deep. I believe Wood played 10 at OSU that averaged around 14 minutes at the lowest.

And Tevian Jones

Hawkins is long, has guard like abilities to put the ball on the floor and pass and he can make 3s at 6'10". Is he skinny, yeah. If you're watching Michigan-Rutgers right now, take a look at Franz Wagner and tell me he's not skinny.
Wagner is a 3...hawkins is at minimum a 4..if not a 5...so yes, wagner is skinny, but he was also more skilled coming into his freshman year and he is not being asked to guard a Shaq Thompson at 6'9" / 250 or a Myles Johnson at 6'11" / 255. But Hawkins will have to and that's just Rutgers...they only get bigger from there! Heck, even ask yourself if you think hawkins would be able to hold his own against Giorgi? Same position/role that will be asked of him. I see him being pushed around early in his career.

If you're saying he's underrated...ok, I can buy that. If you're saying he'll be a key contributor his Jr. or Sr. year...ok, I'll buy that. But if you're saying that he's coming in and contributing like GB did his Freshman year, to a team that already will have pieces in place like GB and KC which will likely limit his time on the floor, then I'm sorry, but I just don't see it and won't likely see it until he shows up on court next year.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Sorry if I missed it, but is there a definitive timeline as to when Miller is supposed to sign? Or do we know why he hasn’t? Thx

The timeline is simple: Ayo declares, then Miller signs (an LOI or otherwise). If Ayo stays, things are up in the air (although Miller is solidly Illini).

If it comes down to Jr AYO or Freshman Miller i choose Ayo, but having them both would put us back where belong top 10.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Wagner is a 3...hawkins is at minimum a 4..if not a 5...so yes, wagner is skinny, but he was also more skilled coming into his freshman year and he is not being asked to guard a Shaq Thompson at 6'9" / 250 or a Myles Johnson at 6'11" / 255. But Hawkins will have to and that's just Rutgers...they only get bigger from there! Heck, even ask yourself if you think hawkins would be able to hold his own against Giorgi? Same position/role that will be asked of him. I see him being pushed around early in his career.

If you're saying he's underrated...ok, I can buy that. If you're saying he'll be a key contributor his Jr. or Sr. year...ok, I'll buy that. But if you're saying that he's coming in and contributing like GB did his Freshman year, to a team that already will have pieces in place like GB and KC which will likely limit his time on the floor, then I'm sorry, but I just don't see it and won't likely see it until he shows up on court next year.
I don't see many people touting him as a key contributor next year. I see people excited for a true stretch 4, something I don't remember us having in recent memory. I think Hawkins comes into the perfect situation with us next year. We'll likely have Frazier, Curbelo, Miller, AJ, Grand, Hutch, and Tev for the 1-3 and Girogi, Kofi, BBV, Hamlin, and Hawkins for the 4/5 (at least 3 of those 5 have B1G ready bodies). That's some real depth in my opinion, depth we haven't seen at UI in a while and flexibility with the guard and low post players to do a lot of different things. We don't NEED and I think very few EXPECT Hawkins to be a huge contributor next year. I think the excitement is in the potential for what he could become and the impact on the offense he could have if he can shoot the ball the way he shows the potential to. You mention these big, lumbering types that Hawkins may have to guard, how about them having to guard him on the other end? He handles the ball well for his position and can shoot. Having opponents have to respect his shot and clear space in the middle for our offense to flow I feel opens up a lot. Right now teams can just sag in on us because we have very few shooters. Ultimately it comes down to my trust in BU to put his guys in a spot to be successful. The players just have to hold up their end.

Sorry if I missed it, but is there a definitive timeline as to when Miller is supposed to sign? Or do we know why he hasn’t? Thx
He committed after the early signing period ended. He can't sign until the next signing period in April.

jmilt7

Waukegan
If it comes down to Jr AYO or Freshman Miller i choose Ayo, but having them both would put us back where belong top 10.
I have always contended that Ayo will go pro. I maintained that position even earlier in this season when he did not seem so, er, focused (?) and there was a lot more debate about his prospects than now. With his recent injury scare I believe he and his "handlers" will feel it imperative to go pro and not risk a career ending injury in college. Sorry this is not exactly recruiting business although it is somewhat tangentially connected in that many people seem to think (rightly or wrongly) Ayo's pro prospects may impact Miller's commitment.

If you're looking at it for the performance in one season, yes you'd be most likely correct that a 3rd year Ayo would be more effective than a freshman Miller.

But Ayo showing that you can be a big time Chicago recruit, come to U of I and be a leader, then go on to the pros will do more for the health of the program long term. Showing that we can be that stepping stone to get kids to the next level will do wonders for our program going forward.

Don’t care where he is ranked, he is a missing piece on our team. Just needs to learn how to play defense.

Not a banger, body on body type of defender. I think he'll be a prolific shot blocker (his whole family is) with a lot of those coming on the back side.

I don't see many people touting him as a key contributor next year. I see people excited for a true stretch 4, something I don't remember us having in recent memory. I think Hawkins comes into the perfect situation with us next year. We'll likely have Frazier, Curbelo, Miller, AJ, Grand, Hutch, and Tev for the 1-3 and Girogi, Kofi, BBV, Hamlin, and Hawkins for the 4/5 (at least 3 of those 5 have B1G ready bodies). That's some real depth in my opinion, depth we haven't seen at UI in a while and flexibility with the guard and low post players to do a lot of different things. We don't NEED and I think very few EXPECT Hawkins to be a huge contributor next year. I think the excitement is in the potential for what he could become and the impact on the offense he could have if he can shoot the ball the way he shows the potential to. You mention these big, lumbering types that Hawkins may have to guard, how about them having to guard him on the other end? He handles the ball well for his position and can shoot. Having opponents have to respect his shot and clear space in the middle for our offense to flow I feel opens up a lot. Right now teams can just sag in on us because we have very few shooters. Ultimately it comes down to my trust in BU to put his guys in a spot to be successful. The players just have to hold up their end.
Don’t expect Hawkins to be major contributor but think he can be very effective in particular matchups. Not all teams have bangers at the four and matchups will vary. Going to be tougher for frosh to make big impacts with a talented roster of upper class men. The 4 is however our least talented position at this point. Kipper is leaving, Giorgi hasn’t shined, and BBV is still unknown. Hoping Hawkins is the unpolished diamond.

This is true. The fact we are playing an undersized and DW that struggles to score is our largest area of need. We need a stretch four with size and physicality. Right now it would seem and hopefully is the case that we are unable to play our best two options. BBV and Grandison were brought in to help fill that need and I realize Grandison plays the 3 too. Tev has struggled and I hope Hawkins can succeed but there will most likely be a learning curve. One thing IMO to make us get better is we need more tick for AG.AM and Hutchs shooting will help. DW has been great but we need a better shooter at the 3 and a bigger body that can shoot at the 4. I still believe this new transfer rule that will likely pass in AP rd il will really shake things up and impact a lot ou f teams including ours.
With the strength of our roster the transfer rule change may be more of a negative for us than a positive.

I couldn't agree more about Hawkins. I love his upside but there's a reason he's not ranked or projected higher. I see a lot of Tristan Enaruna in him at best at this stage and he's only averaging about 3-2-1 this (freshman) year.

Wanger plays the 4, Livers is their 3. Johnson and Thompson are 5s and nothing else, so not sure why Hawkins or Wagner would be guarding them. Hawkins is a skilled stretch 4 which Wood loves for his offense and which we don't have now. BBV may be as well, I just haven't seen him much at all. Hawkins will contribute and will be in the regular rotation next year, imo, watch and see. As much as Giorgi last year when we had no other inside option but him, no and I don't think anyone has suggested that because we aren't in the desperate situation we were last year.

I couldn't agree more about Hawkins. I love his upside but there's a reason he's not ranked or projected higher. I see a lot of Tristan Enaruna in him at best at this stage and he's only averaging about 3-2-1 this (freshman) year.
I'd take the bet that he averages more than everyone of the 3-2-1 you listed, assuming that's points/rebounds/assists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.