Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly , but i.llink it would be a positive for the players and our program. Those not happy and want to play more can. Really good players would want to come to a B10 school and get exposure can. The players that are playing should stay and while I dont hope anyone leaves. I doubt it would be someone playing many minutes now or likely in the future with the uptick in our level of talent we are recruiting. If we could have added a player like the one we lost to Texas Tech that would be great. Who knows maybe BBV or Grandison is just that guy or we have our eyes on someone. It would be so sweetbif if Griffins little bro had a change of heart! Lol
Any news on Chrstie or Goode by the way?
There will be a lot of poaching going on by the big schools at the expense of the smaller ones....for ex, Bradley has a 6'7" forward-Elijah Childs-that is an absolute stud that would look real good in O & B. He can play on a bigger stage and make a big impact. Probably a lot of guys like him looking for a fit.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
There will be a lot of poaching going on by the big schools at the expense of the smaller ones....for ex, Bradley has a 6'7" forward-Elijah Childs-that is an absolute stud that would look real good in O & B. He can play on a bigger stage and make a big impact. Probably a lot of guys like him looking for a fit.
I fear a lot of selective poaching by schools like Duke and Kentucky. If K or Cal have a hole to fill, or see a really great player blossom at another school.... make a call. They could probably even put together a potential final four team every year by making half a dozen calls at the end of the season to relace a whole team.. Wouldn't even have to recruit anything but sure fire one and done high school players.

I fear a lot of selective poaching by schools like Duke and Kentucky. If K or Cal have a hole to fill, or see a really great player blossom at another school.... make a call. They could probably even put together a potential final four team every year by making half a dozen calls at the end of the season to relace a whole team.. Wouldn't even have to recruit anything but sure fire one and done high school players.
Seems like they should stipulate that no school could take more than one per year. If Ayo plays at Kentucky next year, how many on this board will like the rule? When we go to complete free agency, I just may lose interest.... I believe it will be a negative for us.

To me the most important thing is i think if it is better for the coaches then it should be ok for the players too., As far as program or most good power 5 schools it will benefit them more than the mid majors. While we may lose some bench or players not getting many minutes. I do not feel players getting significant minutes and are familiar with our program will jump to another college program.
Mid Major and smaller schools will get a couple bench or backend rotational players from power schools each year and likely lose some studs every few. It may hurt them more if they lose those studs. This rule favors the power 5 schools or else they would not be proposing it imo!
Certainly favors power five schools and most favors the traditional powers. If Deron and Dee could have gone to Kansas with dollar bill, our greatest season might have never happened. I know a lot of people think the players are getting screwed by getting a free education worth 40 or 50 k per year. That is because many are not all that interested in the education which is a mistake. We need to allow players to go directly into the NBA and improve salaries in the Developmental league. Those that don't want to be college students can go pro immediately. The..what is good for the coaches is good for the players is specious. Players still not getting a penny to the dollar if they transfer or not. Know you guys don't buy it but my two cents.

Definitely not enough love for 'Dre.
WARRIOR that will be missed. He's never shot it well from behind the arc, but he gets to the line, rebounds very well for a guard, makes good decisions, and is fearless. 2:1 A/T to boot.

Hard to say what our final roster will look like at this point. If things go as planned/expected, we'll lose Ayo, but pick up Miller. Kofi is expected back at this point, but I'm curious what the scouts think of him. His progression has been astounding, and his size...holy crap! The NBA has changed so much, I'm not sure where a guy like him fits, but he can defend, and that alone has gotten some 7 footers to the league. Just guessing, but I would think he'd get input but come back next year. Getting shivers thinking about a stronger, more experienced Kofi. Please let it happen! That said, I'm happy for all the Illini that go on to get their payday.

On the transfer rule, that's for sure going to hurt smaller programs. With all the scandals we've witnessed in revenue sports, you have to believe there will be programs that put whispers in guys ears so they can poach. I could see that getting out of control. While I'm generally for the students having free movement, it might make sense to find a creative solution to poaching that's less than a full season, but puts some burden on the receiving institution.

To me the most important thing is i think if it is better for the coaches then it should be ok for the players too., As far as program or most good power 5 schools it will benefit them more than the mid majors. While we may lose some bench or players not getting many minutes. I do not feel players getting significant minutes and are familiar with our program will jump to another college program.
Mid Major and smaller schools will get a couple bench or backend rotational players from power schools each year and likely lose some studs every few. It may hurt them more if they lose those studs. This rule favors the power 5 schools or else they would not be proposing it imo!
Not sure this is always true. Maybe Alan leaves to play with his brother. Maybe a Trent leaves after one year to be the man somewhere else. Maybe a player is mad because the coach benched him. Not saying I am against it but there will be more turmoil and make it more like pro leagues where player/team loyalty is nonexistent. There are generally buyout clauses with coaches so not exactly the same.

Hawkins has great offensive skills...

Kid can dribble, pass, (especially for his size) and shoot. I'm very excited for him and his potential.

Will probably need to work on his D and guarding the 4/3, as most kids do when transitioning to the next level.

Hawkins has great offensive skills...

Kid can dribble, pass, (especially for his size) and shoot. I'm very excited for him and his potential.

Will probably need to work on his D and guarding the 4/3, as most kids do when transitioning to the next level.

Having someone his size that can be a plus 3pt shooter and be able to drive/finish at the rim while having great passing skills to find shooters or cutters will let BU really be able to do some creative things.

illini80

Forgottonia
Same as paying the players, I’m happy for the kids that this opens up opportunities for. No one knows what the effects will be. Look at the grad transfer rule. Was intended to be a minor issue to allow players to find a school that matches their graduate degree needs. It’s been everything else, but very little of that. Once the pay issue is settled (LOL), will players transfer for money reasons in addition to playing time?

My opinion is it will take 2-4 years to see what the effect is. Sometimes Illinois will benefit, sometimes it will hurt. My guess also is there will be more rule changes coming on both fronts once things take effect.

illini80

Forgottonia
If and when the rule passes in a few months (April) it's impact will be immediate. I mean if a kid can play next year that would have normally had to sit then it will certainly have an impact right away. If a player knows he can go elsewhere and play right away how cant if not have an impact on their decision and teams. It certainly would have impacted us this season if our current transfers were able to play now.
I haven’t read the proposal, but I can’t imagine it is effective date is immediate. I could be wrong. So far it’s just a proposal. It certainly wouldn’t be surprising to have it take a year or more to iron out the details. It’s been reported Whitman is still pushing for no freshman transfer exemptions. He wants kids to stick it out for a year before deciding. I assume there is likely some other opinions to be hashed out.

I guess more to your point, yes there will be transfers as soon as it’s an option so there will be effects. What I meant was it will take a few years to see how everyone adapts to the new system. Maybe kids take a risk they maybe wouldn’t be comfortable with otherwise. Such as parents want them close to home, but they want to play in Hawaii. If it doesn’t work they can always transfer. Bad example, but you get the drift. And coaches will adjust recruiting to whatever the kids are doing. That‘s all I really was saying.

Last edited:

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
Which schools will become 'farm teams' for the bluebloods? Will Calipari tell a kid, "We are out of scholarships this year, so go to SW Eastern State and hone your skills... Then, next year, after BillyBob goes pro... You transfer in and immediately take over the point... A year or two and you're in the NBA.

Also have not read the proposal, but I think they could put some limitations on it - i.e. can only transfer without sitting a year if (1) a Fr or So, (2) played less than 300 minutes or so, (3) go to a different conference. I think total free agency would not be beneficial for the game.

Seems like they should stipulate that no school could take more than one per year. If Ayo plays at Kentucky next year, how many on this board will like the rule? When we go to complete free agency, I just may lose interest.... I believe it will be a negative for us.
I think that is a pretty interesting idea. I certainly hadn't had this thought.
Keeps the rich from just getting ridiculously richer.
Good take

Luke Goode heading down to Xavier for their game against Villanova Saturday. They're going to be in it until the very end with him.

Gentry headed in to see him tomorrow. :shield:

Also have not read the proposal, but I think they could put some limitations on it - i.e. can only transfer without sitting a year if (1) a Fr or So, (2) played less than 300 minutes or so, (3) go to a different conference. I think total free agency would not be beneficial for the game.

This is the gist of the proposal they are voting on in April it appears from the NY Times that they can only transfer once..

The NCAA announced Tuesday that the concept would allow approval for all first-time transfers from four-year schools, provided they:

--Receive a transfer release from their previous school.

--Leave their previous school academically eligible.

--Maintain their academic progress at the new school.

--Leave under no disciplinary suspension.

If this is effective immediately and like it likely will. What do you thin the chances are transfers may occur for the Illini this off season bot coming and going? I dont hope anyone leaves but it today's world it is likely to happen.

Last edited:
The good news is that there are still only a limited number of scholarships available. So, the fear that a blue blood is going to actively go out and poach good players from other teams means that they have to crean their highly sought after 5 star recruits. I don’t think teams will actively be focusing on this as a recruiting method, rather if the opportunity arises they will make appropriate accommodations to get the player if they want him. My fear is more on the player side of things...

1582262745410.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.