Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I think some folks only pay attention to what a guy's recruiting rank is. Watch some video on Hawkins. This kid has skills and he's long, he can shoot, heck the only "weakness" I see in him is he's on the skinny side. But he's athletic and at 6'10" with his long shooting ability, I think the guy should be top 100, maybe top 75. He's the stretch 4 Wood absolutely loves.

Cross between Durant and Bird, only better.

If Hawkins could do all that now, he would easily be a five star. Maybe, just maybe, he can develop into that player, but it likely will later than sooner. That said, it has been forever since the Illini have had a player of his size that could and it is nice to have the opportunity to try and mold him to that level. It all depends on his desire and willingness to outwork the myriad of others who have the same dream. We don't know if he does, but time will tell. I am certain that the staff has that in mind but likely Hawkins has no idea what he will be asked to do. The question is will he welcome the challenge with the right attitude and determination. My daughter was an elite high school swimmer who like all others had a dream to be an Olympian. I told her to ask her coach what she needed to do to reach that level and that she likely would not want to make the sacrifices and endure the pain of the process. She had a wonderful career and worked hard, but the level of sacrifice to become and Olympian was not in her plans...most likely because in that sport, as he explained, it takes almost a freakish God given talent that others do not possess to gain the extra. That is also the case in most sports. Elite talent and elite determination = elite results. Few have both. Many have one or the other.

Certainly, he has significant development ahead of him and we probably don't see that player until end of soph/jr year(if at all). However, the fact hes making those kind of plays already against top competition(albeit in highlight videos), trending the right direction in the rankings and practicing everyday against other talented players gives optimism for that type of projection. Fingers crossed!

I would almost bet $$$ major $$$ that Hawkins will be flashing in and out or the high post/free throw line area for 15 ft and 3 pointers on clear outs to sides.

100%. For those who are skeptical about Hawkins, he’s a big help for our troubles with zone, in a few different ways. With spread the 5 is about skill, skill, skill....Or you know, being a monster

Last edited:
100%. For those who are skeptical about Hawkins, he’s a big help for our troubles with zone, in a few different ways. With spread the 5 is about skill, skill, skill....Or you know, being a monster
I recall everyone being super high with as similar expectation for Tev not GB. I hope Hawkins is as good as you hope. He looks good in the videos but what kind of numbers is he putting up in high school? I thought they were ok bit not gonna light up the B10 numbers. I m glad we got him but he will play the least of our 5 new guys imo. Not everyone will play significant minutes that just how it is.

My prediction on Hawkins is that he follows in the footsteps of DJ Williams, Tevian Jones, and Alan Griffin as a player a portion of this board loves to comment about as “has to get more minutes.” Hopefully he ends up deserving more minutes like AG.
I think this will be true for most of his freshman year. He seems to be high IQ,which will give him head start, but he will take a while to adjust to the speed and physicality. Right now , I see a tweener. He’s not quite quick enough for a wing and not strong enough to play the 4. Yet.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see Adam Miller as perfect replacement for Ayo? Same size, similar skill set, always wants the ball, ..... Ayo staying 2 years has definitely raised his draft stock. Ayo good for you, you can go to the NBA and get $$$ now. Andre Curbelo coming in with Adam will make us strong and competitive for a while.

I m glad we got him but he will play the least of our 5 new guys imo.

Possibly based on his build in B1G and the people we have experience wise, his HS numbers are not as high as they could be due to people he is playing with imo.

I recall everyone being super high with as similar expectation for Tev not GB. I hope Hawkins is as good as you hope. He looks good in the videos but what kind of numbers is he putting up in high school? I thought they were ok bit not gonna light up the B10 numbers. I m glad we got him but he will play the least of our 5 new guys imo. Not everyone will play significant minutes that just how it is.

Earlier in the season he was averaging 11.5 ppg, 6 rpg, & 4 app. I would assume that his averages are similar to that now, but you also have to keep in mind that he plays with 2 five star guards in Jalen Green and Nimari Burnett, so he’s not going to see as much of the ball as he would playing somewhere else. I think you have to look at how his game projects within Underwood’s system. He’s a skinny big (grew like 6-7 inches since his freshman yr) that passes extremely well, has range to the three, runs the court well, and can block some shots.

Possibly based on his build in B1G and the people we have experience wise, his HS numbers are not as high as they could be due to people he is playing with imo
Earlier in the season he was averaging 11.5 ppg, 6 rpg, & 4 app. I would assume that his averages are similar to that now, but you also have to keep in mind that he plays with 2 five star guards in Jalen Green and Nimari Burnett, so he’s not going to see as much of the ball as he would playing somewhere else. I think you have to look at how his game projects within Underwood’s system. He’s a skinny big (grew like 6-7 inches since his freshman yr) that passes extremely well, has range to the three, runs the court well, and can block some shots.
I am glad that we have Hawkins and he certainly can get better. However, as pointed out he was the third option on a really good team. Well we have other guys with more experience that are good here too. How deep do you guys feel BU's rotation will actually go? 8,9,10, or more? I think it will be around 9 maybe 10 at most. So TF, AM.GB,Kofi,AG,Hutch,DW,AC Grandison, and BBV makes 10. I just dont see more than that playing regularly and that is a stretch, If everyone stays that leaves Hamlin, Tev, Underwood, and Hawkins for spot minutes. If Hawkins jumps into the rotation who is going to the bench? There will be a learning curve and he needs to learn and get stronger imo to see Hawkins leap some of those players in get in the rotation. Redshirting may be the perfect option for someone like Hawkins to grow and adjust but i doubt that happens.

Last edited:

sacraig

The desert
Now I can’t confirm nor deny that the rest of the staff was in or around Chicago last night

giphy.gif

I am glad that we have Hawkins and he certainly can get better. However, as pointed out he was the third option on a really good team. Well we have other guys with more experience that are good here too. How deep do you guys feel BU's rotation will actually go? 8,9,10, or more? I think it will be around 9 maybe 10 at most. So TF, AM.GB,Kofi,AG,Hutch,DW,AC Grandison, and BBV makes 10. I just dont see more than that playing regularly and that is a stretch, If everyone stays that leaves Hamlin, Tev, Underwood, and Hawkins for spot minutes. If Hawkins jumps into the rotation who is going to the bench? There will be a learning curve and he needs to learn and get stronger imo to see Hawkins leap some of those players in get in the rotation. Redshirting may be the perfect option for someone like Hawkins to grow and adjust but i doubt that happens.
What I love about this topic is that one thing is clear. Everyone who is getting minutes will have to earn them. Guys will no longer get in the game just by virtue of being taller than the coach, as was the case a year ago. Any recruit who thinks he is going to walk on campus and be one of the starting 5 better bring a lunch box. There will be too many good players on the roster to anoint another freshman savior upon arrival.

Tell me AC isn't ready to play at the next level. Still really think he has the best chance to start and log the highest minutes of all the freshman next year. Miller is great and I hope we have another ayo or greater in him but what he brings is similar to trent, hutch, and AG. Andre is the only one that can move and handle like he does...see how easy that was for him to get up the court and penetrate? That was awesome!

If Hawkins jumps into the rotation

he will imo, be in the lineup more than BBV will be. BBV minutes will be affected more from Kofi/Giorgi playing together or not playing together. Hawkins is a true stretch 4 that can shoot and pass...he will see the floor as a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.