Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me AC isn't ready to play at the next level. Still really think he has the best chance to start and log the highest minutes of all the freshman next year. Miller is great and I hope we have another ayo or greater in him but what he brings is similar to trent, hutch, and AG. Andre is the only one that can move and handle like he does...see how easy that was for him to get up the court and penetrate? That was awesome!
What Miller brings is NOT similar to those you mention. He is a 4-star guard ranked #33 in his class. Completely agree with you on AC though. Miller is going to be a huge beneficiary of having AC at the point.

Curbelo is getting his team whatever they want. Feeding open for open 3 and easy finishes at the rim. I'll take 4 years of that please. Wouldn't mind getting Pinzon (#2) dropping treys here too.

SactownIllini

Coleman Hawkinsland
If Ayo and Kofi stay we might be a final 4 team next year, i have been saying IF Deron stayed 3 years why not Ayo. I can dream
90 seconds away from winning the title. 😭

We would be incredibly good next year if Ayo and Kofi stayed. But it would also be good if they went pro and we could sell that to future recruits. At any rate, the next 14 months should be very exciting to watch and we haven't been able to say that in a looooong time!

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
he will imo, be in the lineup more than BBV will be. BBV minutes will be affected more from Kofi/Giorgi playing together or not playing together. Hawkins is a true stretch 4 that can shoot and pass...he will see the floor as a freshman.
BBV is also a true stretch 4 that can shoot and pass, who’s also built like a tank. He was 3-3 from 3 and 2-2 at the FT line in our exhibition opener this season. Tiny sample but his stroke looked great. If he can stay healthy next year, I think he’ll carve out a nice role. BBV and Hawkins would be a solid combo at the 4.

he will imo, be in the lineup more than BBV will be. BBV minutes will be affected more from Kofi/Giorgi playing together or not playing together. Hawkins is a true stretch 4 that can shoot and pass...he will see the floor as a freshman.
The thing that makes BBV different than anyone currently on our roster and Hawkins too is he is A6'8" 235 and built and should have the skill to play inside and out. He should be just as good if not a better shooter and much better on the glass and inside than Hawkins. Plus he should know a lot more about the system even though he has been hurt. BBV shot 38% from the international distance. I dont feel Hawkins has the build to go against players similar to Lamar Steve's, Davis of Indiana and so many other strong B10 4s. It will take time for him to jump GB, BBV and JG imo and be good enough to adjust to the physicality of the B10.

If they were to go head to head I'd in a game I'd give BBV the edge for several reaaons.

Last edited:
If Ayo and Kofi stay we might be a final 4 team next year, i have been saying IF Deron stayed 3 years why not Ayo. I can dream
I hope he gets good advice and does what's best for him. If he can ever work his way into the first round whether it's this year or next he should imo. If he is told he may not make it there then why stay? If you can be a first round round puck either thus year or next that's what I feel I'd would do in his shoes. If that's this year go and if that's next year then stay. If I'm told its nmmm ot likely then go. Either way it will impact recruiting .

Kofi is not ready yet. I feel he needs at least one or two years. He can get there but has a way to go. I dint feel he should even consider going but should get feedback.

Last edited:
The thing that makes BBV different than anyone currently on our roster and Hawkins too is he is A6'8" 235 and built and should have the skill ty o play inside and out. He should be just a good shooter and much better on the glass and inside than Hawkins. Plus he should know a lot more about the system even though he has been hurt. BBV shot 38% from the international distance. I dint feel Hawkins has the build to go against players similar to Lamar Steve's, Davis of Indiana and so many other strong B10 4s. It will take time for him to jump GB, BBV and JG imo and be good enough to adjust to the physicality of the B10.
Hopefully his foot situation gets resolved. Not clear what his injury is, but a foot can be chronic...a lot of players have seen their playing days curtailed due to foot that never quite heals properly. Maybe this isn't the case with BBV, but he has been in the walking boot for some time.

Biggest concern with BBV is quickness. If he can improve that aspect he looks like a much better player. Fletch has done wonders wirh everyone else.

I hope he gets good advice and does what's best for him. If he can ever work his way into the first round whether it's this year or next he should imo. If he is told he may not make it there then why stay? If you can be a first round round puck either thus year or next that's what I feel I'd would do in his shoes. If that's this year go and if that's next year then stay. If I'm told its nmmm ot likely then go. Either way it will impact recruiting .

Kofi is not ready yet. I feel he needs at least one or two years. He can get there but has a way to go. I dint feel he should even consider going but should get feedback.
Fwiw, I agree Chief. Ayo should go, Kofi should not.

Biggest concern with BBV is quickness. If he can improve that aspect he looks like a much better player. Fletch has done wonders wirh everyone else.
I understand your concern and I havent seen enough of a healthy BBV but the clips I saw he looked like he moves just ffine. I trust BU and the staff feel that way too. Plus as stated he is built like a tank. I mean Kamar Steven's is 6'8" 225. BBV is even more cut at 6'8" 235 so that can create space and create room too. Feliz does it at the guard spot and hopefully a healthy BBV can too.
Not all freshman are going to jump in and play on a good B10 team.

Last edited:
Earlier in the season he was averaging 11.5 ppg, 6 rpg, & 4 app. I would assume that his averages are similar to that now, but you also have to keep in mind that he plays with 2 five star guards in Jalen Green and Nimari Burnett, so he’s not going to see as much of the ball as he would playing somewhere else. I think you have to look at how his game projects within Underwood’s system. He’s a skinny big (grew like 6-7 inches since his freshman yr) that passes extremely well, has range to the three, runs the court well, and can block some shots.
He's the stretch 4 that can pass well, so he really spreads the floor. Wood loves that for his offense, but maybe BBV is a stretch 4 too. The depth of next year's team is sick.

illini80

Forgottonia
Hendrickson seemed to think Christie is a long shot for us. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try, but I’m not getting any hopes up on that one.

illini80

Forgottonia
This is the gist of the proposal they are voting on in April it appears from the NY Times that they can only transfer once..

The NCAA announced Tuesday that the concept would allow approval for all first-time transfers from four-year schools, provided they:

--Receive a transfer release from their previous school.

--Leave their previous school academically eligible.

--Maintain their academic progress at the new school.

--Leave under no disciplinary suspension.

If this is effective immediately and like it likely will. What do you thin the chances are transfers may occur for the Illini this off season bot coming and going? I dont hope anyone leaves but it today's world it is likely to happen.
Maybe the transfer rules should have it’s own thread, but I’ll let Dan decide that one. Interesting hearing a couple of different opinions on Saturday’s sports line show. Warren Hood from DIA is of the opinion there is no chance it happens this year. Next year at the earliest. Adam Rittenberg of ESPN was 100% certain it was happening in April. I think he called it a done deal.

Fwiw, I agree Chief. Ayo should go, Kofi should not.

After avoiding a serious injury that had many wondering if Ayo would miss the remainder of this season....playing another season to improve your draft status could have considerable risks involved that he and his family will need to factor into the decision as well

The thing that makes BBV different than anyone currently on our roster and Hawkins too is he is A6'8" 235 and built and should have the skill to play inside and out. He should be just as good if not a better shooter and much better on the glass and inside than Hawkins. Plus he should know a lot more about the system even though he has been hurt. BBV shot 38% from the international distance. I dont feel Hawkins has the build to go against players similar to Lamar Steve's, Davis of Indiana and so many other strong B10 4s. It will take time for him to jump GB, BBV and JG imo and be good enough to adjust to the physicality of the B10.

If they were to go head to head I'd in a game I'd give BBV the edge for several reaaons.

All good points, although I believe BU and staff wanted him to stretch other 4's outside, free's up the inside for Giorgi and Kofi. Not sure why BBV "should" be a better shooter, after sitting almost all year? Rebounding and system for sure, passing and shooting I would give to Hawkins though.

He also has been noted for his outstanding passing ability. If you give me Hawkins or BBV I would take either based on different reasons. Giorgi specifically matches up skill wise comparision to BBV I believe the best, no one on out roster matches up to Hawkins perceived skill set as of now on this team.

Maryland gets a commitment from 2020 PG, Aquan Smart from of all places-Niles North. Kid is rated 3 stars with no 247 ranking. 4 or 5 mid major offers. Sort of a head scratcher. Supposedly a late bloomer. Kid did de-commit from East Tennessee State.

Last edited:
All good points, although I believe BU and staff wanted him to stretch other 4's outside, free's up the inside for Giorgi and Kofi. Not sure why BBV "should" be a better shooter, after sitting almost all year? Rebounding and system for sure, passing and shooting I would give to Hawkins though.

He also has been noted for his outstanding passing ability. If you give me Hawkins or BBV I would take either based on different reasons. Giorgi specifically matches up skill wise comparision to BBV I believe the best, no one on out roster matches up to Hawkins perceived skill set as of now on this team.
I cant find the stats but BBV shot it well from international distance at over 39% and here as well. He certainly has done some work to improve. I cant find Hawkins stats anywhere and a highlight reel is not something to trust. That's why I say should be BBV I am sure has been working to improve his shot even if it's just FTs and set shots he should improve.. I'd put my money on BBV who is a man against a growing young man all day everyday.
I'm glad we have Coleman. I just think it will take some additional time to develop and work his way past other players already here developing. Of all of our recruits and transfers no one will have a bigger adjustment to B10 competition and muscle than he will and it mat take a bit longer for that imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.