Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never understand why people on that connecticut board (and this one) think that Underwood was or is on the hot seat.

When you are a UConn supporter and not familiar with the situation at Illinois, and see a once proud and respected Illinois basketball program that is the midst of a horrendous season after massive roster turnover, it shouldn't be surprise that some would suspect BU to be on the hot seat.

By getting Kofi, him recruiting, dare I say the ILLINI are in for a renaissance in the hoops world!

With Kofi on board, Christian Brown (2019 4-star top 75 wing) just became a very realistic pick-up. They’re close and play together at Oak Hill.

Potentially seeing some early 2020 commits too. No info, just a feeling.

Who was the guy that was the mystery poster who did the Chief Illiniwek symbol when someone committed? Land of Lincoln? I miss those "insider" days.....gotta love this board!

BU and the staff have it going on. Next year should look a bit different than this one in terms of on-court product. Go Illini!

haasi

New York
For those (anyone?) who have seen two or more of these guys play, beyond just highlight reels, please compare and contrast:

Cliff Alexander vs. Francis Okoro vs. Kofi Cockburn

To me, they all look pretty similar -- big, strong guys who dominate smaller high school players, who score mostly on dunks. Highlight reels show the occasional short jumper or hook, but who can trust highlight reels?

Cliff (listed at 6-9 but wasn't that tall) was #4 on 247, spent his high school days dunking on everyone, then had a pretty lackluster single year at Kansas, and can currently be found in the Where Are They Now? file.

Okoro (listed at 6-9) was #56 on 247 last year, and is getting about 10 minutes a game at Oregon, and averaging 2.3 pts and 2.5 rbds (while fellow freshman big, Bol Bol is getting 21 and 9!)

Kofi is listed at 6-10 (and is therefore probably closer to 6-9 -- as opposed to "near 7-0" we hear), is ranked #33 on 247, and seems to have very similar body, skills and role as Okoro and Cliff.
Big burly guys generally take time to mature and adjust to college game, with rare exceptions (like swanigan) I think cliff could have become an excellent college player, but he tanked psychologically before he developed. Okoro may become excellent too. I wouldn’t expect the world from kofi year 1. Would expect him to become very good after that

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Big burly guys generally take time to mature and adjust to college game, with rare exceptions (like swanigan) I think cliff could have become an excellent college player, but he tanked psychologically before he developed. Okoro may become excellent too. I wouldn’t expect the world from kofi year 1. Would expect him to become very good after that
In the Cliff vs. Okoro vs. Kofi comparison, I will say that Kofi has more range than either of those other guys. So he's bigger AND can shoot it better from outside if need be. Good traits to have.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL

Watch this and I dare anyone to say Giorgi and Kofi won't have some fun together at practice...hell BU ought to do some this at practice to get the guys loose and having fun also!

If nothing else, that video shows Kofi hitting free throws and threes, which is excellent. And it shows that for as big as he is, he’s got a lot room to get stronger and leaner. Thanks for posting!

In the Cliff vs. Okoro vs. Kofi comparison, I will say that Kofi has more range than either of those other guys. So he's bigger AND can shoot it better from outside if need be. Good traits to have.
In the vids that I have seen, he looks to have a smooth stroke from outside.

Illini_1979

Oregon
The one article I read on him mentioned his interest in both Oregon and Illinois. Wouldn't characterize it as a "lean", though.
I'm too lazy to go and find it, but I was told in the FBall recruiting thread that we don't compete with Oregon for recruits. Guess that only applies to football? :cool::rolleyes:

Illini_1979

Oregon

Watch this and I dare anyone to say Giorgi and Kofi won't have some fun together at practice...hell BU ought to do some this at practice to get the guys loose and having fun also!
Kofi shooting the free throws and from three. Love it. That was fun to watch. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.