Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,151      
Amazing to me in the current climate that these kids want to risk sitting the bench to such a degree. I understand that they all are conditioned to success (in a dominating way in most cases), but you think they would hedge themselves a bit more.

#1,152      

Bailey

Los Angeles
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2018.html

If you look at this list from last year...how many "wings" are turning going NBA and blowing it up? I know there are variables, where they land, need for money over being a new stud in the NBA vs the BMOC in college, there are always variables...not many wings are making it at 6'7" immediately anyhow.

Tatum in 2017 might be the last legitimate wing to go and he is on the bigger side as well....does Whitney=Tatum? If he does, does he = Tatum at UK for one year as Tatum did at Duke? He will not be the guy at UK no matter...that hurts his draft stock long term imo.

Kevin Knox is a wing, and you're citing a draft class that was thin at elite wing talent. Look back to 2017 for a first round with plenty of 1 and done wing prospects. Whitney can make the jump if he can switch on D and shoots 3s efficiently.

#1,156      
There are things going on behind the scenes at UK that has him hesitant to sign. While it might still be a dream if a couple domino's fall it might become a reality.
Sign what? You do know that you can only sign the LOI between certain dates right?
You may sign an NLI only during the designated signing period. If you sign an NLI outside the appropriate signing period, the NLI shall be considered invalid. Presuming you are within the permissible signing period, you and your parent or legal guardian must sign the NLI and financial aid agreement within 7 days of the issuance date noted on the NLI signing page. You may find the appropriate signing period for your sport on the NLI website: www.nationalletter.org
Nothing has ever been said, or written except on this board that should give anyone any hope that this could happen. That doesn't mean it is impossible. Probably as likely as the tooth fairy coming tonight and back paying me with interest the money he didn't deliver 58 years ago.

#1,157      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Sign what? You do know that you can only sign the LOI between certain dates right?
You may sign an NLI only during the designated signing period. If you sign an NLI outside the appropriate signing period, the NLI shall be considered invalid. Presuming you are within the permissible signing period, you and your parent or legal guardian must sign the NLI and financial aid agreement within 7 days of the issuance date noted on the NLI signing page. You may find the appropriate signing period for your sport on the NLI website: www.nationalletter.org
Nothing has ever been said, or written except on this board that should give anyone any hope that this could happen. That doesn't mean it is impossible. Probably as likely as the tooth fairy coming tonight and back paying me with interest the money he didn't deliver 58 years ago.

One signing period did come and go without KW signing. I believe this is what everyone is talking about, not the fact that he isn't signing at this very moment. IF Cal lands a "bigger fish" then KW very well could open his recruitment back up for a place that he may feel is a better fit.

#1,158      
One signing period did come and go without KW signing. I believe this is what everyone is talking about, not the fact that he isn't signing at this very moment. IF Cal lands a "bigger fish" then KW very well could open his recruitment back up for a place that he may feel is a better fit.
I understand that. But the poster I quoted used 'hesitant'. You cannot hesitate when you have no option of signing the LOI at this time. Maybe I took it the wrong way, but everything KW has said in the last week or so publicly, is 100% UK. If he was hesitant, I would think he might give himself some wiggle room. I sure hope UK gets another player, and he opens it up. If I was BU, I sure wouldn't wait on that.

#1,159      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
The problem is that Whitney is not just a top 20 guy who is being sold on being one and done. He is the 8th ranked recruit, and probably is a one and done.

Hot dang, last I looked he was just under 20. (Awhile ago) He’s jumped a few huh??

#1,160      
I assume that any recruit is best to be “all in” with the team he is verbally committed to. As people correctly assume, it’s likely the reason he hasn’t signed at the dotted line is:

1) he doesn’t have to - he is a high level player with numerous options.
2) it isn’t in his best interest to do so - things may change with additional players affecting his position on the depth chart so why would he lock himself in until he knows where he stands and can make a wise choice that serves his best interests?
3) The current roster may change due to the NBA aspirations of players already on the team.

#1,161      
Fair points. I was just pointing out that he is more than a top 20 guy, and you would think that Cal is treating him as such. But I have no inside info.

Now in regards to who I'd rather have: KW or Christian Brown. The correct answer is obviously both. And if not that, then either one would be great. But if I had to choose, I'd say Whitney. But being able to watch Christian Brown play with his hair flowing all over the place would be great too.

I would say Whitney...because it could help open up recruiting in the CPL....KW along with Ayo would carry a fair amount of weight with future Chi-town recruits imo

#1,162      
Hot dang, last I looked he was just under 20. (Awhile ago) He’s jumped a few huh??
The rankings are subjective opinions. No expertise is defined by those doing the rankings, or should be implied, imo. It isn't like they have seen 300 players in the last week, against the same competition. Like the crystal balls, it is a marketing tool. Wikipedia says the crystal balls are a fortune telling device.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_ball

#1,166      

Flight#33

Flight#33
I believe the coaching staff should set their sights on Brown. If Whitney wants to play somewhere other than UK and we don't have room for him too bad. Maybe it would be a wakeup call to the Chicago kids that Illinois is in charge and makes the decisions on the roster not them. Getting a player like Brown is a win regardless of Whitney.

#1,167      

Deleted member 746094

D
I believe the coaching staff should set their sights on Brown. If Whitney wants to play somewhere other than UK and we don't have room for him too bad. Maybe it would be a wakeup call to the Chicago kids that Illinois is in charge and makes the decisions on the roster not them. Getting a player like Brown is a win regardless of Whitney.

Hmm...

Even after the big win tonight we need to stay grounded and realize we are still just 1-5 in the B10. If KW wants to come here we must find a way to make it happen. Even if we have already accepted a signed LOI from Brown, Archie or another Top 100 wing. We will not get many chances at Top 10 players. To say “too bad” to him at any point would be complete ignorance. Respectfully.

#1,168      
Not disagreeing but seems many put too much emphasis on in state players I.e Casleton, Conduit, Okoro, and GB has outplayed them all. But he was signed in the spring so that was bad.

#1,169      
Not disagreeing but seems many put too much emphasis on in state players I.e Casleton, Conduit, Okoro, and GB has outplayed them all. But he was signed in the spring so that was bad.

I mean it's a little unfair to them as they are averaging 2.4, 9.1, and 11.5 minutes per game respectively compared to GB's 24.4. Caslteton also was not an in-state player.

Not to take anything away from Giorgi who has been way better than advertised, but who knows what the other 3 would be showing statistically with more opportunity.

#1,170      

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I assume that any recruit is best to be “all in” with the team he is verbally committed to. As people correctly assume, it’s likely the reason he hasn’t signed at the dotted line is:

1) he doesn’t have to - he is a high level player with numerous options.
2) it isn’t in his best interest to do so - things may change with additional players affecting his position on the depth chart so why would he lock himself in until he knows where he stands and can make a wise choice that serves his best interests?
3) The current roster may change due to the NBA aspirations of players already on the team.

Read an article(no link) that he wanted to sign at a high school ceremony somewhere in Illinois but that wasn't available in the early signing period....

TIFWIW...

#1,171      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Read an article(no link) that he wanted to sign at a high school ceremony somewhere in Illinois but that wasn't available in the early signing period....

TIFWIW...

Someone posted it on this thread earlier on. I believe it was his old elementary school in a rough neighborhood in Chicago. Something about he wanted to use it as a tool to inspire the young kids that they can dream big, and not get caught up in the street life. Regardless of whether he signs with Illinois or not (not likely, I know), I love these stories and he has earned his way to do what he wants to do. Very admirable and I am sure many kids will idolize him and try to follow in his footsteps as a result. We need more positive examples like this!

#1,172      
Yeah, if Whitney gets stuck having to go to Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina instead of Illinois we would sure show him & Chicago. /s

#1,173      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Honestly, even if Cal DOES recruit over him, I still don’t think KW will leave. I feel like he is bluffing and trying to dissuade Cal from recruiting someone else. When UK gets that next top recruit at KW’s position, KW will be forced to make the tough decision to leave his dream school or not...and I don’t think he will.

It’s all a big game...everyone involved is playing it in some way.

Cal and UK are just playing with a stacked deck and loaded dice.

#1,174      
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

#1,175      

sacraig

The desert
Yeah, if Whitney gets stuck having to go to Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina instead of Illinois we would sure show him & Chicago. /s

I am not sure you followed the point of what he said. The idea wasn't that we would turn down Whitney to somehow stick it to Chicago. The premise was that we go full-court for Brown now. If Whitney does decide to change his commitment at a later date and we are full, that's unfortunate but it's hardly a guarantee he would pick us. Even if he wanted to, showing we can (hopefully) succeed without bending a knee to Chicago would be a good thing. Right now, Chicago power brokers hold all the cards regarding our attempts to recruit their players because we've been bad for so long and need them more than they need us. The only way to change that is to win, and to do it in a way that shows we don't need to play their game because we are desirable in general.

Of course, I'd happily take both. Managing to some how end up with Whitney is still a very, very nice situation to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.