Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 633632

D
If nothing else, that video shows Kofi hitting free throws and threes, which is excellent. And it shows that for as big as he is, he’s got a lot room to get stronger and leaner. Thanks for posting!

It's also interesting that Kofi posted a top 5 wingspan of 7'3 at that camp. Add the lite feet along with the jumpers and 3's... We are seriously going to be spreading teams out and covering a lot of ground. A hounding pressure defence with a faster baby Shaq at the back end defending the rim and 5 players on the floor that can shoot out past 18 ft... We're going to be deadly!! 🔥 🔥

Deleted member 633632

D
Don't want to kill anybody's dreams but....

Maybe someone should ask TC what's going on with Khalil 😁

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO
Ok, not to be "that guy" but I guess I'll be "that guy". How do we know Fletch is going a good job? I recall he has improved verticals on many including Malcolm, Trent, etc but don't recall any of those guys ever dunking the ball and it seems to me we tire and lose steam in the 2nd half...

Obviously alot involved in losing games in the 2nd half - and clearly our aggressive D (which for some reason has our 7 foot post trying to deny a pass 18 feet from the rim) has alot to do with gassing out - but the big question I have is the method / end result demonstrable?

Or is the point, we'd really suck if he didn't do what he is doing?
Now that you have opened the can ... based on preseason sound bites, it sounded like Trent had transformed into Dominique Wilkins! I don't think he has dunked a ball all year though has he?:shield:

illiniCA

DC Area
Well...there are lots of i's and T's in the name of a certain unsigned wing that has verballed to Kentucky.

A guy can dream, right?!?!:unsure::unsure::LOL::ROFLMAO:o_Oo_O

Didn’t he just he say he 100 UK and the G league was poking around

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO

Watch this and I dare anyone to say Giorgi and Kofi won't have some fun together at practice...hell BU ought to do some this at practice to get the guys loose and having fun also!
This is going to be awesome ... can we just fast forward to next season???:shield:

It is easy to forget about January but if he gets here as well, we have more than shored up the center position. That kid is legit a well.

It's also interesting that Kofi posted a top 5 wingspan of 7'3 at that camp. Add the lite feet along with the jumpers and 3's... We are seriously going to be spreading teams out and covering a lot of ground. A hounding pressure defence with a faster baby Shaq at the back end defending the rim and 5 players on the floor that can shoot out past 18 ft... We're going to be deadly!! 🔥 🔥

Who are these 5 players that can shoot it past 18'??.....other than TF I haven't seen anyone that can consistently shoot it from the perimeter....and TF hasn't been that good as of late.

Deleted member 746094

D
Now that you have opened the can ... based on preseason sound bites, it sounded like Trent had transformed into Dominique Wilkins! I don't think he has dunked a ball all year though has he?:shield:

It was said that Trent increased his vertical to 40 inches. The problem with throwing numbers out there that are exaggerated is it hurts credibility. I know a lot of people are very high on Fletch, but I haven’t seen his impact. My background is S&C and exercise physiology. It’s not hard to put muscle and add strength to 18 to 22 year old male athletes. It’s actually the easiest part of the equation. We have had the least athletic team in the B10 for a while. Seeing improved explosiveness on the court would impress me. I don’t see it from any of our guys. Especially AJ, Kip and Trent. Damonte is an outlier as every ACL recovery is different.

All I have to do is watch Trent play and I can tell you he is lucky to have a 35 inch vertical, let alone a 40 inch vertical. A 6’1 guard with a 40 inch vertical is taking off and throwing down two handed with ease.

Just use this as a point of reference. The top NBA and NFL draft athletes are just at 40 or a little over. We don’t have any of these guys on our current roster other than TJ.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine/
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

Deleted member 633632

D
Who are these 5 players that can shoot it past 18'??.....other than TF I haven't seen anyone that can consistently shoot it from the perimeter....and TF hasn't been that good as of late.

Kofi, gorgi, kipper, AG, & Ayo

There's a 5 man unit without Trent bro.

It was said that Trent increased his vertical to 40 inches. The problem with throwing numbers out there that are exaggerated is it hurts credibility. I know a lot of people are very high on Fletch, but I haven’t seen his impact. My background is S&C and exercise physiology. It’s not hard to put muscle and add strength to 18 to 22 year old male athletes. It’s actually the easiest part of the equation. We have had the least athletic team in the B10 for a while. Seeing improved explosiveness on the court would impress me. I don’t see it from any of our guys. Especially AJ, Kip and Trent. Damonte is an outlier as every ACL recovery is different.

All I have to do is watch Trent play and I can tell you he is lucky to have a 35 inch vertical, let alone a 40 inch vertical. A 6’1 guard with a 40 inch vertical is taking off and throwing down two handed with ease.

Just use this as a point of reference. The top NBA and NFL draft athletes are just at 40 or a little over. We don’t have any of these guys on our current roster other than TJ.

Agreed I’m 6-1 and probably topped out at 36 inches and had no issue dunking it easier than he does. No way that he is jumping 40 inches. Derrick Rose Junps 40 inches.

Deleted member 633632

D
DRose was hitting measurables at the 46-48 range at his peak.

Deleted member 746094

D
So if AJ and ADLR are the only two we lose next year and we sign KC and AJanuary. How many scholarships do we have to hand out in April? Aren’t we full with the two commits we have?

Deleted member 11241

D
So if AJ and ADLR are the only two we lose next year and we sign KC and AJanuary. How many scholarships do we have to hand out in April? Aren’t we full with the two commits we have?

No, we still have one more available. We have an open scholarship at the moment

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Don't want to kill anybody's dreams but....

Maybe someone should ask TC what's going on with Khalil 😁

giphy.gif

Have 1 ride open for next semester. Which gives us 2 ( DLR and AJ leaving) for the 2019 class if that ride is taken by someone for the spring semester. 3 if it is not.

Being able to take another player in '19 if we take a transfer for the spring semester, means someone would have to transfer.

To be fair, those numbers are taken at a specific time and place (the combine), with the athletes trying to max out in several different areas in a short period of time. Most of them probably popped off a better jump in the year prior while working specifically on vertical on a day that the stars aligned. Trent's 40 could have just been a good jump that he can't repeat consistently, or hit during the season.

My big issue with our S&C is the focus on low body fat %. Admittedly it felt dialed back a bit this offseason. We would be citing numbers like 6%, which a) wasn't real, and b) wouldn't even be ideal. There's contact in basketball, you need some fat to absorb it. Instead, we're striving for numbers that would have the cross country coaches telling their athletes to eat a hamburger.

Overall, I think we have a solid S&C program. Probably standard for a P5 team. But Fletch really does seem to connect with the athletes, which is a real value.

Deleted member 633632

D

Gorgi can shoot, Ayo will get more consistant, kipper is a streaky shooter who when confident and mentally stable can take off with the best of them ala BTT.

I believe Alan Griffin will put himself in the category to be our best shooter since Sean Harrington when its all said and done. Not quite as a pure shooter, but the kid can shoot. And Kofi has mad range for a guy his size.

But swap out Kipper and put Diamonte in there... All 5 can effectively hit shots from outside of 18 feet. Consistently? That's the question. But outside of Ayo the mechanics are there for each player to take the next step...

I don't see why there is so much agnst in me sayin we will field five players who can hit shots anywhere in the halfcourt set.... Positionless basketball at its finest!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.