Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Not. Going. To. Get. Sucked. In.

Too late, dammit! If we flip Whitney, from UK, no less, that will be beyond epic. Pass the smelling salts.

Deleted member 746094

D
I mean, if Whitney flips that would be amazing and in no way would I be upset. That interview looks to have taken place very recently so I would be a lot surprised if he did change his mind. He sounded pretty sure of his decision. If he is reconsidering I don’t see the point in misleading everyone. Would UK give his schollie to someone else?

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Can someone fill me in on whether current players on Illinois (like Ayo) or current commits (like Kofi) are officially allowed to be in contact with a guy like Kahlil, recruiting him to Illinois even though he’s committed but not signed. I know there are restrictions on coaches and dead periods, etc. but what are the official rules for players by NCAA standards?

Not. Going. To. Get. Sucked. In.

Too late, dammit! If we flip Whitney, from UK, no less, that will be beyond epic. Pass the smelling salts.
We're starting to get some good ingredients, I don't want the ride to stop yet do you? Let's do it!

Deleted member 633632

D
Loyalty after dark fella's! lets talk about these wings and somebody post some highlight videos and let's stir up even more excitement!

Brown, Patterson, Archie, and don't forget Shannon! Who do you want the most? Who's game do you think best fits our scheme and translates to College ball the best? And if you would like, we can even include Whitney with an *asterik.... Who do you like and who do you think is most likely to come here??

So who ya got??

Loyalty after dark fella's! lets talk about these wings and somebody post some highlight videos and let's stir up even more excitement!

Brown, Patterson, Archie, and don't forget Shannon! Who do you want the most? Who's game do you think best fits our scheme and translates to College ball the best? And if you would like, we can even include Whitney with an *asterik.... Who do you like and who do you think is most likely to come here??

So who ya got??
1546926367357.gif

So who ya got??
Gotta say probably my order, no offense to any, with Whitney as an *.

Watch this and I dare anyone to say Giorgi and Kofi won't have some fun together at practice...hell BU ought to do some this at practice to get the guys loose and having fun also!
I like this kid... tough, quite confidence, good sense of humor (implies he's humble) but also tough strong kid. Wins one-on-one and hit 9/10 free throws. Solid

Being realistic Kofi is not Oscar T and it would seem to me that there will need to be some adaptation to utilize his and Georgi's skills in parallel. Also this is one man that will likely be more foul prone than Georgi. We still need to see a lot of progress from our existing players to be successful.

Idk, I think that Oscar T has the edge in the athleticism department and he may be a better defensive shot blocker but sheer size, skill I give to Kofi. Kofi also has a better than average mid game.

Idk, I think that Oscar T has the edge in the athleticism department and he may be a better defensive shot blocker but sheer size, skill I give to Kofi. Kofi also has a better than average mid game.

Don't disagree but Oscar more of a fit for BU. Need some adaptation to fully utilize Kofi's skills IMO.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I am so glad we got Kofi.....fills our biggest need for next year.......I give Kofi respect for choosing us over all the other programs interested....all the comparisons are great for board discussions but we got Kofi and I'm looking forward to him hitting the floor running next year...seems like a cool kid ....

It was said that Trent increased his vertical to 40 inches. The problem with throwing numbers out there that are exaggerated is it hurts credibility. I know a lot of people are very high on Fletch, but I haven’t seen his impact. My background is S&C and exercise physiology. It’s not hard to put muscle and add strength to 18 to 22 year old male athletes. It’s actually the easiest part of the equation. We have had the least athletic team in the B10 for a while. Seeing improved explosiveness on the court would impress me. I don’t see it from any of our guys. Especially AJ, Kip and Trent. Damonte is an outlier as every ACL recovery is different.

All I have to do is watch Trent play and I can tell you he is lucky to have a 35 inch vertical, let alone a 40 inch vertical. A 6’1 guard with a 40 inch vertical is taking off and throwing down two handed with ease.

Just use this as a point of reference. The top NBA and NFL draft athletes are just at 40 or a little over. We don’t have any of these guys on our current roster other than TJ.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine/
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers
Maybe our team isn't very athletic...

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Maybe BU and huggy bear can plan a future matchup so we can find out.

Don't disagree but Oscar more of a fit for BU. Need some adaptation to fully utilize Kofi's skills IMO.
Oscar didn't pick us, Kofi did ,that's who I'm riding with. And feeling great about him. Adapting to winning again is going to be tough though, let's talk about that.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Y'know for years this board has had crazy, unrealistic ideas about what new freshman recruits would be able to do in terms of adding wins to the equation. One of the hidden benefits of our lost decade is that we've defined success way, way down, to the point where, yeah, we really can be an NCAA tournament team if we keep the pieces together and add Kofi next year.

Part of that calculus though is that with the pieces we already have we ought to be much, much better than we currently are, as was the case last year.

So it's a two step process. The roster construction piece appears in good shape and may still improve (or could falter with transfers), but without much better coaching it isn't gonna matter.

Y'know for years this board has had crazy, unrealistic ideas about what new freshman recruits would be able to do in terms of adding wins to the equation. One of the hidden benefits of our lost decade is that we've defined success way, way down, to the point where, yeah, we really can be an NCAA tournament team if we keep the pieces together and add Kofi next year.

Part of that calculus though is that with the pieces we already have we ought to be much, much better than we currently are, as was the case last year.

So it's a two step process. The roster construction piece appears in good shape and may still improve (or could falter with transfers), but without much better coaching it isn't gonna matter.
GB says hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.