Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Just a thought here on the whole Chicago recruiting argument. Maybe the coaching staff realizes that the top guys in Chicago haven't been coming for a while and the approach had to change. These 5 star studs want to play with other McDAAs in college, not their 3 star buddies from high school. So our staff decides "let's put our efforts into the few top Chicago players (Whitney, Miller, Ayo)and our efforts in OAs stomping ground. Let's bring the outside talent here first (Griffin, Kofi, possibly Brown)and the Chicago kids will hop on board". I like the approach and I hope we have a great pipeline to the east coast like it appears we are building. A successful season next year showcasing talent from New York and Chicago together could open up the flood gates. Antigua is putting in MAJOR work. A couple big rim protectors(Kofi, Samba, January, and a couple more horses(Whitney/Brown)in this pressure D is all we need. Really excited for the future.

Foggy Notion

San Francisco
abe_vigoda.jpg

My observance of the basketball team and the significance of Kofi. Regardless of what you think Underwood's positionless basketball can overcome, we are too small to succeed in defeating most the teams we play. We foul more because we're smaller, like Kipper, who is expected to play power forward at small forward size. Giorgi playing 5 instead of 4. Aaron Jordan and De'Monte playing 3 instead of 2-3. And on and on. By inserting a real center like Kofi everyone else plays the correct positions. The result of all this is they have lost confidence in their shot and it snowballs into other aspects of winning games.

Ok, not to be "that guy" but I guess I'll be "that guy". How do we know Fletch is going a good job? I recall he has improved verticals on many including Malcolm, Trent, etc but don't recall any of those guys ever dunking the ball and it seems to me we tire and lose steam in the 2nd half...

Obviously alot involved in losing games in the 2nd half - and clearly our aggressive D (which for some reason has our 7 foot post trying to deny a pass 18 feet from the rim) has alot to do with gassing out - but the big question I have is the method / end result demonstrable?

Or is the point, we'd really suck if he didn't do what he is doing?
And it seems like the more muscular players have had poorer shots after the muscle building weight training. Finke is a good example. His 3 pt shot disappeared. Now at GCU he has lost weight and is running the court and making 3s again. Fraziers shot seems to be in a slump and DMW throws up some uglies. Hmmm...

My observance of the basketball team and the significance of Kofi. Regardless of what you think Underwood's positionless basketball can overcome, we are too small to succeed in defeating most the teams we play. We foul more because we're smaller, like Kipper, who is expected to play power forward at small forward size. Giorgi playing 5 instead of 4. Aaron Jordan and De'Monte playing 3 instead of 2-3. And on and on. By inserting a real center like Kofi everyone else plays the correct positions. The result of all this is they have lost confidence in their shot and it snowballs into other aspects of winning games.

I don't disagree with your idea here, but I do think we fans tend to often be wrong on where we think players should play (positions.) Yes, sometimes players play certain positions based on need for the team, but often times, it is really just where they fit best based on their skills. Kipper is going to struggle as a 3 as well. He can't dribble. His D isn't very good. His shot isn't very good. Giorgi may be able to play some as a 4, but I'm going to say that he'd be a 5 on almost any team if he played for someone else. Damonte mostly plays 3, and he probably is a 3 for most teams, due to inability to play the 1 and lack of shooting/scoring as a 2 guard on offense.

I don't disagree with your idea here, but I do think we fans tend to often be wrong on where we think players should play (positions.) Yes, sometimes players play certain positions based on need for the team, but often times, it is really just where they fit best based on their skills. Kipper is going to struggle as a 3 as well. He can't dribble. His D isn't very good. His shot isn't very good. Giorgi may be able to play some as a 4, but I'm going to say that he'd be a 5 on almost any team if he played for someone else. Damonte mostly plays 3, and he probably is a 3 for most teams, due to inability to play the 1 and lack of shooting/scoring as a 2 guard on offense.

You two better brace yourselves for the "positionless police"

You make good points also. Next year we'll see the "Kofi effect".

Has anyone checked for fluoride in the water? That’s gotta be the problem.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I've raised this before. We seem to have guys who get less explosive over the course of their careers.
I thought Malcolm and Leron got noticeably more athletic. I believe Fletch was here for Malcolm's senior season transformation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I think we'll have Kaden Archie news soon, one way or the other. Expect Christian Brown to be coming on a visit asap too.

Interesting wing calculus. What to do? Think we'll gladly take one of Archie or Brown, but not both (assuming we have a shot at Whitney).

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Assuming both Archie & Brown want in, who do we choose and why? I'm thinking Brown because he's immediately eligible and his bond with Kofi. WRT skills, no idea.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Assuming both Archie & Brown want in, who do we choose and why? I'm thinking Brown because he's immediately eligible and his bond with Kofi. WRT skills, no idea.
Both. Based on what we're seeing this season, I don't there's any scenario where we wouldn't take both.

Status
Not open for further replies.