Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it seems like the more muscular players have had poorer shots after the muscle building weight training. Finke is a good example. His 3 pt shot disappeared. Now at GCU he has lost weight and is running the court and making 3s again. Fraziers shot seems to be in a slump and DMW throws up some uglies. Hmmm...
That's not really true. His overall shooting is down 1% and his three-point shooting has gone from 31% to 34%, not much of a change. Playing against lesser qualify opponents day in and day out his numbers are about the same in scoring, rebounding and shooting, so thinking muscularity has nothing to do with anything in this case. His numbers should be better against teams that aren't Big Ten qualify, but they aren't.

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
abe_vigoda.jpg
Tessio, not Clemenza./s

Both my brother, you take both of them if you can, without question...

That means other pieces are moving...we have 3 open spots (AJ, ADLR, and currently open). If we get January and Kofi, the only way you get both of them is if someone (and we all know who the rumor is about) truly does end up transferring.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
some real kinesiologists on this board - the blown layups and getting stuffed at the rim have been a bigger problem than the long range shooting. and bulking up can only help when you're around the basket - the problem is there's too many perimeter blow bys which put us in foul trouble and/or result in opponents consistently shooting >50% from the floor against us - google occam's razor and leave Fletcher out of this.

and you damn right i spell checked kinesiologist

drsmitty74

Rochester
And it seems like the more muscular players have had poorer shots after the muscle building weight training. Finke is a good example. His 3 pt shot disappeared. Now at GCU he has lost weight and is running the court and making 3s again. Fraziers shot seems to be in a slump and DMW throws up some uglies. Hmmm...
He may be running the court at GCU, but he is currently making one 3pt basket per game and shooting them at a .343 clip while averaging 8pts/game.
Hardly a comeback IMO.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Been catching up on 5 pages of this thread and some of you posters are killing it....had me in stitches reading the verbiage and banter between die hard Illini fans.... all of us have been having serious heartburn regarding the results of this season and finally some good news has released the hounds of the baskerville's lethargy that has been pent up for too long....

Long live King Kofi and all the loyals subjects he can entice to the Illini fiefdom, colored grey or not....

Dr6gDHDWkAAo360.jpg

Deleted member 29907

D
some real kinesiologists on this board - the blown layups and getting stuffed at the rim have been a bigger problem than the long range shooting. and bulking up can only help when you're around the basket - the problem is there's too many perimeter blow bys which put us in foul trouble and/or result in opponents consistently shooting >50% from the floor against us - google occam's razor and leave Fletcher out of this.

and you damn right i spell checked kinesiologist
Not sure how this correlates to some of the other posts. You have to consider that the blow bys could be related to conditioning. Some of the prior posts discuss the point that we've led in many of the games in the first half only to lose that lead and falter in the 2nd. To me, that suggests we consider conditioning and proper training. Seems pretty razor-ish to me.

There will be a learning curve for Kofi and we shouldn't expect him to immediately dominate. However, they don't get more foul prone than Giorgi; I'm not convinced that player exists. Still love me some Giorgi though and think he's going to be awesome.
Giorgi's foul propensity is actually a bit of an illusion. His foul rate/40 is 6.5. That's lower than Adonis this year by a lot (9.9). But also lower than pretty much all of our freshman bigs for the last 7 years. Ebo 8.0 Kipper 6.6 (technically his sophomore year, but first with us). Leron 7.3 (went to 9.3 the next year when he played 7 games). Maverick 7.2. Egwu 7.5 Meyers 7.3. So he really isn't fouling that often compared to other freshman bigs, but he is being asked to play significantly more minutes than any of them did. I don't see fouling being an Achilles heel for Giorgi as he gets more experience and we have more players we trust to share minutes with him.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Giorgi's foul propensity is actually a bit of an illusion. His foul rate/40 is 6.5. That's lower than Adonis this year by a lot (9.9). But also lower than pretty much all of our freshman bigs for the last 7 years. Ebo 8.0 Kipper 6.6 (technically his sophomore year, but first with us). Leron 7.3 (went to 9.3 the next year when he played 7 games). Maverick 7.2. Egwu 7.5 Meyers 7.3. So he really isn't fouling that often compared to other freshman bigs, but he is being asked to play significantly more minutes than any of them did. I don't see fouling being an Achilles heel for Giorgi as he gets more experience and we have more players we trust to share minutes with him.

Nice analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.