Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giorgi's foul propensity is actually a bit of an illusion. His foul rate/40 is 6.5. That's lower than Adonis this year by a lot (9.9). But also lower than pretty much all of our freshman bigs for the last 7 years. Ebo 8.0 Kipper 6.6 (technically his sophomore year, but first with us). Leron 7.3 (went to 9.3 the next year when he played 7 games). Maverick 7.2. Egwu 7.5 Meyers 7.3. So he really isn't fouling that often compared to other freshman bigs, but he is being asked to play significantly more minutes than any of them did. I don't see fouling being an Achilles heel for Giorgi as he gets more experience and we have more players we trust to share minutes with him.

Giorgi will most certainly improve as he adjusts to the American game. He gets very bent out of shape about fouls, because in Europe, a lot of the calls going against him would not be fouls. People assume it would be easy to simply adjust to the way fouls are called here, but when you have worked you whole life playing a certain style its difficult to react in a way that is different than you always have, especially when you get tired or frustrated. Of course, maybe just playing B1G games will mitigate the difference a bit, as refs in this conference seem to swallow their whistles a little more often than others.

Both. Based on what we're seeing this season, I don't there's any scenario where we wouldn't take both.
I agree, I think there is a very strong chance we take 2/3 between Archie (most likely), Brown (friendship possible), and Shannon (when he decides this is his best option)...don't think there is any scenario where 2 out of the 3 or like quality/size players aren't taken...I will hang up and listen...

Deleted member 643761

D
After Kofi, anything is gravy. But I'll have to admit that Archie's not doing much for me. Top 100s transferring out in their freshman year for lack of time. Can someone give me some good examples of how this has really played out well? Alternatively, examples of disasters? Alex Legion is the first to come to mind, but perhaps there are others on both sides.

Giorgi's foul propensity is actually a bit of an illusion. His foul rate/40 is 6.5. That's lower than Adonis this year by a lot (9.9). But also lower than pretty much all of our freshman bigs for the last 7 years. Ebo 8.0 Kipper 6.6 (technically his sophomore year, but first with us). Leron 7.3 (went to 9.3 the next year when he played 7 games). Maverick 7.2. Egwu 7.5 Meyers 7.3. So he really isn't fouling that often compared to other freshman bigs, but he is being asked to play significantly more minutes than any of them did. I don't see fouling being an Achilles heel for Giorgi as he gets more experience and we have more players we trust to share minutes with him.

Terrific research there! Point taken, but the ole eye-test says otherwise(IMO). A cringe comes to my face when he pressures the ball 40 feet from the basket and hasn't the boy fouled out in like 5 games this year?

It's funny because I think he is remarkably good for a freshman. Freshman bigs are always in foul trouble

No doubt. I am also a huge Giorgi fan and think he's by far the biggest pleasant surprise of this season. For a stretch of about 5-6 minutes in the Gonzaga game he looked like the best player on the floor. Can't make this stuff up. But yeah, he is foul prone. He'll learn.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Great post, though a note of caution on the subject of Kofi hype, at least for next year.

Deleted member 652751

D
some real kinesiologists on this board - the blown layups and getting stuffed at the rim have been a bigger problem than the long range shooting. and bulking up can only help when you're around the basket - the problem is there's too many perimeter blow bys which put us in foul trouble and/or result in opponents consistently shooting >50% from the floor against us - google occam's razor and leave Fletcher out of this.

and you damn right i spell checked kinesiologist
Does bulking up help with lateral quickness and the ability to keep your man in front of you on defense? Because I see that as a bigger problem than missing shots.

Edit: Disregard, I agree the blow bys and defense are the problem. Missed that on my initial reading of your response.

Speaking of fish
9F35381A-E5B2-4665-AB6A-747A74FE53BC.jpeg

Great post, though a note of caution on the subject of Kofi hype, at least for next year.
I didn't really intend the post that way, but yes, absolutely. Kofi is similarly rated to Meyers was coming out of high school. Just looked at Tilmon's numbers for his freshman year too, 7.5 fouls/40. Simply because he's a freshman post player, Kofi will likely find himself in a fair bit of foul trouble next season.

After Kofi, anything is gravy. But I'll have to admit that Archie's not doing much for me. Top 100s transferring out in their freshman year for lack of time. Can someone give me some good examples of how this has really played out well? Alternatively, examples of disasters? Alex Legion is the first to come to mind, but perhaps there are others on both sides.
That was my first impression after reading his reason for transferring. However, it may just be a justification that is not the only, or real reason. I hope for Brown. This roster needs players who make open shots, or can get separation to make shots.. Garbage baskets, whatever. It doesn't matter what position they play. Need to increase the shooting pct.. Agree with others that there are too many blow bys, but when you deny and go for steals without rim protectors, this is what happens.

That was my first impression after reading his reason for transferring. However, it may just be a justification that is not the only, or real reason. I hope for Brown. This roster needs players who make open shots, or can get separation to make shots.. Garbage baskets, whatever. It doesn't matter what position they play. Need to increase the shooting pct.. Agree with others that there are too many blow bys, but when you deny and go for steals without rim protectors, this is what happens.

Any wing and I mean any wing like Brown or Archie or SBrown are a projectable upgrade over what we have. No offense to anyone we have (maybe Jones-we don't know really), bu those three would own a starting slot in my opinion if they were here.

I think we end up with 4 available schollies. As we know Jordan and Delarosa is gone. I see higgs and Kipper being gone as well. January wont make it so that leaves Kofi plus 3 more. Just my opinion.

I think we end up with 4 available schollies. As we know Jordan and Delarosa is gone. I see higgs and Kipper being gone as well. January wont make it so that leaves Kofi plus 3 more. Just my opinion.

In that case let’s add Patterson, Whitney, and Brown and we might crack the NIT

Terrific research there! Point taken, but the ole eye-test says otherwise(IMO). A cringe comes to my face when he pressures the ball 40 feet from the basket and hasn't the boy fouled out in like 5 games this year?
I agree. And unfortunately he already has a rep with the officials where they are looking for the elbow swim moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.