Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,001      
Who has been the most hyped Illini basketball recruit and biggest disappointment?

Who has been the least typed Illini basketball recruit and biggest surprise?
1. Definitely Jereme Richmond considering he had 4 years of hype behind him.

2. Mike Davis. His commitment was announced in some local Virginia newspaper. No one had ever heard of him and he didnt have a recruiting profile at the time. Everyone thought it was a fake story.

#1,002      
On the current roster, or in general?

Least hyped and biggest surprise? Mike Davis is a great candidate -- really, really outperformed his prep reputation. There are also the Kevin Turners of the world -- overshadowed by 5* kids like Notree -- and then journeymen like Archibald.

Archibald and Ingram could often be counted on to come off the bench and make a contribution.

#1,004      

Deleted member 643761

D
Who has been the most hyped Illini basketball recruit and biggest disappointment?

I almost think pre AAU doesn't count. It was pretty easy for a guy to slip under the public's radar even if the coaches believed they had a gem.

Kendall Gill is a classic along those lines..

Notree was one of the biggest disappointments.

It's a bit unfair, but guys like Keene and Liberty had me hoping for more than I got. Great careers objectively, but perhaps not living up to the hype they came in with.

#1,005      

Most Hyped had to be Rose and Gordon...what a disappointment. To be so hyped and score 0 pts combined for the Illini!!!!
Least that was a big surprise has to be Tyler Underwood

#1,008      
I think the biggest problem with Ayo potentially leaving is that we are going to rely on Feliz and DMW to fill the gap, with essentially zero irons in the guard fire for 2019. Of course, this could change, but I would think the staff would at least have offered a few more guards this year for this exact reason.

#1,009      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I’d rather imagine a lineup of Ayo, Trent, Brown, Giorgi, and Kofi ...

Yep. Key is to hold together the core of Ayo, Trent, and Giorgi. Kofi will be an upgrade in the post. Then add a couple wings and hope Tev and Alan make get up to speed before next season. If all that happens, we'll take a big step forward next season.

#1,010      
I expect Ayo to at least declare and see where it goes.

This. If his season continues as it has been, I think Ayo would be drafted in latter half of first round. The draft is more about potential than production. It just depends if that is high enough for him and what the feedback is during the process about what he needs to do to be in first half of draft after his sophomore year. If he gets positive feedback about things he can do to become a lottery pick and with Kofi coming in which improves the team's potential for next year, I could see him coming back.

#1,011      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

On most hype and most dissappointing, I agree with Richmond, but he did produce as a frosh certainly. I have to throw Alex Legion into the mix. A lot of us were really hyped when he came on board but he, how you say... underperformed.

As far as who was not hyped and biggest surprise...agree with Mike Davis also but would have to add current player Giorgi B. to that list. I don't think ANYBODY expected him to come in as ready as he is and making such an impact.

#1,012      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I almost think pre AAU doesn't count. It was pretty easy for a guy to slip under the public's radar even if the coaches believed they had a gem.

Kendall Gill is a classic along those lines..

Notree was one of the biggest disappointments.

It's a bit unfair, but guys like Keene and Liberty had me hoping for more than I got. Great careers objectively, but perhaps not living up to the hype they came in with.

I don't know enough about Liberty - but Keene certainly is unfair - that turd currently coaching Auburn ruined Keene (and Deon Thomas') shot at great college careers.

My answers to the questions would be

1 - Jereme Richmond - one and done to where is he now?
2 - Pre-AAU: I'm definately going with my favorite player ever - Kevin Turner ... modern era - I think Giorgi B perfectly fits this criteria. Re: Mike Davis - I'm sure I'm probably wrong here considering how many people used Davis as their answer - but wasn't he playing in a small prep school in order to get his transcripts prepared to play college basketball - but we were his only high major offer?

#1,014      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Finally - re: Ayo and the NBA

If Ayo is a projected first rounder - he has to keep his name in the player pool and leave Illinois (that's the correct choice to make)
If he's a fringe second rounder in some drafts, but not others, then I think it would be best for him to return to school for another season.

Losing Ayo makes Illinois WORSE next season (we won't win as many games as with Ayo) but him going to the NBA SHOULD produce long term dividends.

#1,015      

1. I think Jereme Richmond is the undisputed leader here.
This question gets tougher from there. Plenty of guys that didn't live up to what Illini fans hyped- Notree, Gee, Randle, Chukwudebe, maybe even Griffin and McClain. There are some solid contributors out there that really never lived up to what a lot of fans or evaluators expected.

2. I will go Brian Johnson here. Walk on who was a great contributor.

#1,016      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Based on what I have read about Ayo and his family/network, they will make an informed decision that will probably be the right choice. It doesn't seem like he has people making decisions for him based off of money that forces him into the draft before he is ready.

#1,017      

illiniCA

DC Area
I will root hard for the kid if he comes out, but the mental part of the game needs another year

I don't know. Ayo is the most mature freshman I can remember. He doesn't seem like a player who gets too high or too low.

Last edited:
#1,018      
Based on what I have read about Ayo and his family/network, they will make an informed decision that will probably be the right choice. It doesn't seem like he has people making decisions for him based off of money that forces him into the draft before he is ready.
Wouldn't it depend on what level they think he can reach. Financially better off to wait a year if significant rise in position I believe.

#1,019      
How about Aaron Cosby as (one of) most disappointing?

He was good at Seton Hall. Scored and shot the 3 really well. Played point guard for them. Then he gets here, sits out as transfer, supposedly dominates in practice (those darned practice reports!) then plays and has probably his worst year of college basketball. Transfers and does much better, albeit at a lesser conference...I think Western Kentucky, maybe?

#1,020      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

He was good at Seton Hall. Scored and shot the 3 really well. Played point guard for them. Then he gets here, sits out as transfer, supposedly dominates in practice (those darned practice reports!) then plays and has probably his worst year of college basketball. Transfers and does much better, albeit at a lesser conference...I think Western Kentucky, maybe?

Cosby was a major disappointment, no doubt. But he pales in comparison to Alex Legion.

#1,021      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

He also got kicked off the team basically and was suspended indefinitely. He scored 13.7 ppg at Western Kentucky in a much easier conference and schedule. He scored 7.8 ppg at UIUC. I would figure those two seasons are basically equal. He shot 35% at WKU vs 29% at UIUC though.

#1,022      
Yep. Key is to hold together the core of Ayo, Trent, and Giorgi. Kofi will be an upgrade in the post. Then add a couple wings and hope Tev and Alan make get up to speed before next season. If all that happens, we'll take a big step forward next season.
Believe January will be a big opportunity for OA. Looks to be very athletic in the the highlights I have seen but not much shooting from +10'. However quick jumper and aggressive defensively. Would like to see him be the backup to Georgi. Don't believe we can compete with Kipper at the four even if we are positionless. Am more optimistic of Tevian and Alan developing. Alan has shown good offensive ability in rebounding and scoring, just a defensive liability and a turnover problem that hopefully is a freshman problem. More faith in them than an incoming freshman unless it is Whitney.

#1,023      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I decided to go over and check Okoro's stats since Bol Bol has been out awhile....not very impressive at all - 7 games:

111 minutes (16 MPG)
22 points (3.1 PPG)
25 rebounds (3.6)
5 Blocks (0.7)
8-15 from 2, no threes, and a HORRIFIC 6/15 FTs
1 assist and 3 steals (probably not expecting anything here anyways)

I'm surprised at his lack of production - I was thinking he would skyrocket when given the opportunity.

#1,024      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Wouldn't it depend on what level they think he can reach. Financially better off to wait a year if significant rise in position I believe.
Thats what I meant by his family being smart on making the right decision. If they think a second or third or 4th year at Illinois is best for him to raise his draft stock, then they will do that. Or if they think his draft stock is where they want it to be to enter the draft, they will do that. I am sure they have a projected draft target in mind, and if he hits that, he is gone. Its easy for us as fans to say "imagine what one more year will do for the draft stock." It's all risk-reward for him.

#1,025      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I decided to go over and check Okoro's stats since Bol Bol has been out awhile....not very impressive at all - 7 games:

111 minutes (16 MPG)
22 points (3.1 PPG)
25 rebounds (3.6)
5 Blocks (0.7)
8-15 from 2, no threes, and a HORRIFIC 6/15 FTs
1 assist and 3 steals (probably not expecting anything here anyways)

I'm surprised at his lack of production - I was thinking he would skyrocket when given the opportunity.
Good thing we didn't get him. Yuck. /s

Status
Not open for further replies.