Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,026      
It will be interesting to see how Minny Freshman Daniel Oturu does on Wednesday. He was 247 composite #50 and Okoro was #56. Oturu vs Giorgi will be a good match up. Oturu is averaging 10.2 ppg and 7.8 rpg. Oturu with 5 double/doubles already this year.

Last edited:
#1,027      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Good thing we didn't get him. Yuck. /s

I wasn't necessarily trying to say - "hey look at this guy we missed on - doing nothing" ... it was more of an "I thought he'd do much better given more PT" thought but take it for what it's worth.

Didn't he move up from 2020 to 2019?

#1,028      
I wasn't necessarily trying to say - "hey look at this guy we missed on - doing nothing" ... it was more of an "I thought he'd do much better given more PT" thought but take it for what it's worth.

Didn't he move up from 2020 to 2019?

The "/s" means that it was sarcasm

#1,029      
Man it funny ayo went from a bust to a potential 1 round pick

Ha, that was around the mizzou game if I recall. I was facepalming through the majority of the Ayo posts. One guy even wnet as far as to suggest ayo isn't good enough to start on this team LOLOLOLOL

Even at the time of his like 3 game slump, his season averages were still at like 12 pts, 3 assists, 40+ from 3. It's laughable that ppl could label him a bust through like 12 games of his freshman year the way he's palyed on average SMH

#1,030      

Illini_1979

Oregon
Ha, that was around the mizzou game if I recall. I was facepalming through the majority of the Ayo posts. One guy even wnet as far as to suggest ayo isn't good enough to start on this team LOLOLOLOL

Even at the time of his like 3 game slump, his season averages were still at like 12 pts, 3 assists, 40+ from 3. It's laughable that ppl could label him a bust through like 12 games of his freshman year the way he's palyed on average SMH
Like, I like this post.

#1,031      
Not to derail, but another question -- who was our last duo of true freshman who performed as well as Ayo & Giorgi?

#1,033      

This is a result of life in the ILLINI nation....majority of us fans have about the same amount of patience with underachieving teams, as the school has national championships in revenue sports....such is our fandom!

#1,034      
I’d rather imagine a lineup of Ayo, Trent, Brown, Giorgi, and Kofi ...
i was just making an example of the increased size and athleticism. your example is probably the starters, but being able to roll out 5 players for stretches who are all 6”5+ and not playing out of position would be nice.

#1,038      

Deleted member 643761

D
I don't know enough about Liberty - but Keene certainly is unfair - that turd currently coaching Auburn ruined Keene (and Deon Thomas') shot at great college careers.

My answers to the questions would be

1 - Jereme Richmond - one and done to where is he now?
2 - Pre-AAU: I'm definately going with my favorite player ever - Kevin Turner ... modern era - I think Giorgi B perfectly fits this criteria. Re: Mike Davis - I'm sure I'm probably wrong here considering how many people used Davis as their answer - but wasn't he playing in a small prep school in order to get his transcripts prepared to play college basketball - but we were his only high major offer?

I'm not sure what you mean. Deon Thomas had a great college career. It could have been better with more talent and more NCAA tourney wins, but he certainly had a great college career.

On the other hand, Keene was a McDonald's all american yet never even made HM All Big Ten. To me he seemed to never really improve after an excellent freshman campaign. Still a favorite player of mine because he hit some big shots and made some nifty passes. But it didn't live up to its potential

#1,039      

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I'm not sure what you mean. Deon Thomas had a great college career. It could have been better with more talent and more NCAA tourney wins, but he certainly had a great college career.

On the other hand, Keene was a McDonald's all american yet never even made HM All Big Ten. To me he seemed to never really improve after an excellent freshman campaign. Still a favorite player of mine because he hit some big shots and made some nifty passes. But it didn't live up to its potential

I guess my main point was when Keene was recruited - he picked Illinois over duke, but Illinois was limited to what - 2 scholarships a season and we didn’t get to recruit off campus or do any official visits paid by the school for a few seasons. I was thinking team, not individual.

That said I just looked up Keenes stats - for a burger boy picking Illinois over duke ... he never averages over 10.9 PPG with a career FG% of .383 - I guess I understand the argument now

#1,040      
I decided to go over and check Okoro's stats since Bol Bol has been out awhile....not very impressive at all - 7 games:

111 minutes (16 MPG)
22 points (3.1 PPG)
25 rebounds (3.6)
5 Blocks (0.7)
8-15 from 2, no threes, and a HORRIFIC 6/15 FTs
1 assist and 3 steals (probably not expecting anything here anyways)

I'm surprised at his lack of production - I was thinking he would skyrocket when given the opportunity.

OA. The missing link.

#1,044      
If Ayo gets drafted this season, good for him. He committed here and that means to me (as a fan) that I am rooting for him.

Not to derail, but another question -- who was our last duo of true freshman who performed as well as Ayo & Giorgi?

Malcolm and Ken
And we would have made the touney that year if JG had started playing them significant minutes about a month earlier than he did.

#1,045      

Deleted member 633632

D
After Brown getting 8 CB's to NCState, that recruitment has gone quiet.

It's interesting you say that... One week ago today I got a text from a very confident source in the building that Archie would be announced within the week. But apparently now with someone's impending visit, everything has changed...

#1,049      

Deleted member 633632

D
Yeah apparently we're going all in for the Oak Hill boyz... Not a bad strategy if you ask me. Christian Brown's ceiling is higher than Kofi's according to some staffers and that's saying something! The press is on to lock him in. That's the #1 priority at this point im being told...

So keep your eyes out for the CB's to swing to us for CB after his visit here HA!

Status
Not open for further replies.