Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,052      
Yeah apparently we're going all in for the Oak Hill boyz... Not a bad strategy if you ask me. Christian Brown's ceiling is higher than Kofi's according to some staffers and that's saying something! The press is on to lock him in. That's the #1 priority at this point im being told...

So keep your eyes out for the CB's to swing to us for CB after his visit here HA!
Hope this happens, I promise to not criticize BU's recruiting. It seems we're building relationships or inroads, all good by me.

#1,057      

Deleted member 633632

D
Party Pooper! Lol

I look at it in quite the opposite actually...

April 17th plays to our advantage because the longer we have for Ayo to keep putting up impressive performances, the longer we have to promote to potential recruits that even in a down year, this system works, and will get you to the League!!

So that's a very big positive imo all publicity is good publicity but that's just my take.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,060      
After watching Duke/Syracuse and Texas/Kansas last night, pretty clear there is a wide gap between those teams with two or three really elite athletes and the your average teams. To compete with the elite teams one really has to recruit at least five solid players and mold them into a unit that functions extremely well as a team.

#1,061      

sacraig

The desert
After watching Duke/Syracuse and Texas/Kansas last night, pretty clear there is a wide gap between those teams with two or three really elite athletes and the your average teams. To compete with the elite teams one really has to recruit at least five solid players and mold them into a unit that functions extremely well as a team.

It truly is a wonder that most coaches don't attempt to do this.

#1,062      
What we follow up 2019 class of January and Kofi is vital to this program. Getting a kid in the top 30 is so important as compared to getting 2 in the top 100.

#1,063      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
What we follow up 2019 class of January and Kofi is vital to this program. Getting a kid in the top 30 is so important as compared to getting 2 in the top 100.
History shows that 2-3 top 100 kids can be a good class, as they mature. UI has done well in the past with only 1 or 2 top 30 kids at a time. 2005 had only Dee. Not sure that we have had 3 top 30 kids in consecutive years since the 80's.

#1,066      

And, do it every year: Consistency.

#1,068      

Deleted member 643761

D
Hope this happens, I promise to not criticize BU's recruiting. It seems we're building relationships or inroads, all good by me.

I hope you'll reconsider. There's been a big void left in the constantly criticism of BU's recruiting. Someone needs to step up and do it.

#1,069      

We will have Frazier as a senior 2020, and I still believe Ayo will be here as well...that said I think it is more important for rounded class' with the bulk of the class being 75-125, Duke I think proved that last night, they lost 2 major players and the rest of team outside of Williamson tanked. Cuse just got smoked and they beat them at Cameron, because Duke relies to much on the big 4 they have.

Don't get me wrong, I will take Kofi/January/Ayo-Miller/Steward etc likes every year, but it has been proven hard to get that, keep identifying the Giorgi, Jones, Griffin and they have to pan out as well longterm.

#1,070      

Deleted member 29907

D
We will have Frazier as a senior 2020, and I still believe Ayo will be here as well...that said I think it is more important for rounded class' with the bulk of the class being 75-125, Duke I think proved that last night, they lost 2 major players and the rest of team outside of Williamson tanked. Cuse just got smoked and they beat them at Cameron, because Duke relies to much on the big 4 they have.

Don't get me wrong, I will take Kofi/January/Ayo-Miller/Steward etc likes every year, but it has been proven hard to get that, keep identifying the Giorgi, Jones, Griffin and they have to pan out as well longterm.
SU also has that unique zone which could be tough for early season freshman to figure out regardless of what their coach tells them...

#1,071      
I am 32 years old and have always thought to myself "If I were a d-1 recruit, there is no way I would go anywhere other than the Illini." I am an Illini fan, so on the flip-side, I always figured fans of Mizzou would go to Mizzou if they had a chance.

Now, seeing prolonged lack of success that I had not previously seen in my lifetime, I am not sure I'd do that, especially if I were a 5-star recruit. I am shocked that Kofi Cockburn picked us. If I were in Ayo's shoes, I'd probably be second-guessing myself. Just my thoughts. Hope we turn it around!

#1,072      

Deleted member 746094

D
I am 32 years old and have always thought to myself "If I were a d-1 recruit, there is no way I would go anywhere other than the Illini." I am an Illini fan, so on the flip-side, I always figured fans of Mizzou would go to Mizzou if they had a chance.

Now, seeing prolonged lack of success that I had not previously seen in my lifetime, I am not sure I'd do that, especially if I were a 5-star recruit. I am shocked that Kofi Cockburn picked us. If I were in Ayo's shoes, I'd probably be second-guessing myself. Just my thoughts. Hope we turn it around!

If Ayo goes to KU, Duke, or UK there is a decent chance he gets lost in the crowd as a freshman. I will use KU and Duke as the example pertaining to their current freshmen playing. KU has three freshmen guards that are comparable to Ayo in skill and ability and then you add in Vick and he is maybe 3rd in depth chart out of 5. At Duke he would probably spell T. Jones. When you have Zion, R.J. and Cam; those three don’t come off the floor except for a short breather and foul trouble. Not to mention the fact his limited exposure at these schools would put him in a position to almost assuredly come back for a sophomore year where there would be another crop of 5* talent coming in to compete with.

The Illini was a great decision for him. BU’s style is proving to be a great fit for him and there is very little real pressure on him as a player because we were so bad when he came in to the program. He gets us back to the tourney next year (selfishly in 2021 as well) and possibly becomes a lottery pick or high 1st rounder then he achieves his dream and leaves an Illini legend. I have no inside ties, only what I have heard or read on here, but Ayo has a strong support system around him and the right people guiding his decisions. He came to IL because he and his family have a plan put together with BU and Chin. It wasn’t blind loyalty as he is too smart and talented.

#1,073      

What do you think the rationale is for a highly rated recruit to come to a program that have been average for 10 years? These players have probably been playing for a decade and are well-coached and advised, I am not sure there would be much second-guessing????

Status
Not open for further replies.