Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,076      
Ha, that was around the mizzou game if I recall. I was facepalming through the majority of the Ayo posts. One guy even wnet as far as to suggest ayo isn't good enough to start on this team LOLOLOLOL

Even at the time of his like 3 game slump, his season averages were still at like 12 pts, 3 assists, 40+ from 3. It's laughable that ppl could label him a bust through like 12 games of his freshman year the way he's palyed on average SMH

Some people can only see scoring and shooting. Ayo plays an all around game. I was laughing at those posts as well, ejam.

#1,078      
If Ayo goes to KU, Duke, or UK there is a decent chance he gets lost in the crowd as a freshman. I will use KU and Duke as the example pertaining to their current freshmen playing. KU has three freshmen guards that are comparable to Ayo in skill and ability and then you add in Vick and he is maybe 3rd in depth chart out of 5. At Duke he would probably spell T. Jones. When you have Zion, R.J. and Cam; those three don’t come off the floor except for a short breather and foul trouble. Not to mention the fact his limited exposure at these schools would put him in a position to almost assuredly come back for a sophomore year where there would be another crop of 5* talent coming in to compete with.

The Illini was a great decision for him. BU’s style is proving to be a great fit for him and there is very little real pressure on him as a player because we were so bad when he came in to the program. He gets us back to the tourney next year (selfishly in 2021 as well) and possibly becomes a lottery pick or high 1st rounder then he achieves his dream and leaves an Illini legend. I have no inside ties, only what I have heard or read on here, but Ayo has a strong support system around him and the right people guiding his decisions. He came to IL because he and his family have a plan put together with BU and Chin. It wasn’t blind loyalty as he is too smart and talented.

I definitely get it; but I'm guessing he (like most of us) thought that he and Trent would be a formidable duo and make some noise in the Big Ten. As a competitor, it has to have crossed his mind "man, what if I had gone to......"

I'm not saying choosing the real blue bloods for a guy like Ayo, but the other real good, solidified top 25 teams. He could start for probably half of the teams in the top 25 (totally a guess).

Anyway, I am glad he is here, and I think with Kofi, and an Ayo return, AND no mass exodus this offseason, we will be in pretty good shape next year. I grew up with good Illini teams with expectations, and now it sucks not even having a chance to finish .500. Weird.

#1,079      

Deleted member 29907

D
Most teams are over the halfway point of the season.
True from a numbers perspective, but I'd suggest its still early for freshman in their P5 college games career. In other words, they are still learning and the SU zone is challenging for those who have not experienced it.

#1,080      
I definitely get it; but I'm guessing he (like most of us) thought that he and Trent would be a formidable duo and make some noise in the Big Ten. As a competitor, it has to have crossed his mind "man, what if I had gone to......"

I'm not saying choosing the real blue bloods for a guy like Ayo, but the other real good, solidified top 25 teams. He could start for probably half of the teams in the top 25 (totally a guess).

Anyway, I am glad he is here, and I think with Kofi, and an Ayo return, AND no mass exodus this offseason, we will be in pretty good shape next year. I grew up with good Illini teams with expectations, and now it sucks not even having a chance to finish .500. Weird.

Yeah, I'm guessing if you had told Ayo last year that if he joined the Illini they would be 4-12 and 0-5 in conference at this time, he might have thought a little more about signing with the O&B. But maybe not. The good thing is that with the Kofi signing, I don't think he'll be inclined to rush to the NBA unless he really thinks it is time because the future looks brighter for next year.

#1,081      
Anyone hear that Archie wanted to come here, but ultimately we didn't take him due to some other issues unrelated to recruiting higher players or something? A friend mentioned something vaguely about there being something in his past or recruitment or something maybe fishy that we decided not to bring him aboard.

#1,082      
Anyone hear that Archie wanted to come here, but ultimately we didn't take him due to some other issues unrelated to recruiting higher players or something? A friend mentioned something vaguely about there being something in his past or recruitment or something maybe fishy that we decided not to bring him aboard.

I heard from a very reliable source that he didn't fit Underwood's scheme.

#1,083      

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
LongLiveTheChief7 in post 1050 stated that we are putting on a full court press for Christian Brown and that may be affecting Archie’s decision. Question: if the new semester started yesterday wouldn’t he need to have enrolled by then to be eligible for second semester next year?

#1,085      
Where is Obelix? Can he not accept that Underwood might be good in the long run? Two months ago this thread was full of doubters of Underwood's recruiting. Eat some crow and come back and enlighten all of us.

May be a tad early to be spiking the ball on Underwood's recruiting. Kofi was certainly a big get and desperately needed but we have several other needs and no sure things at this point.

#1,086      

Deleted member 633632

D
While Archie has been said to be a bit of a diva, this is not the case here and these types of rumors that can get started are really unnecessary...

We would gladly take Archie in so many different scenarios and were interested in him out of high school, and are still exploring options and keeping doors open. Both camps initially had the desire to move rapidly, then backed off that stance, and are now exploring ALL available options.

In our case, there's no longer a need to have to rush, the cards are in our hand, so we will sit back and see how it all unfolds... With higher stakes bets in line!! 🔸🔹

#1,087      
NBAdraft.net doesn't even have Ayo in their top 100. I have a hard time believing he's a real option for the draft after this year. If he is, it means he was unbelieveable the last 2 months, so i guess its a win-win.

#1,091      
I would go with the one who wants to be here for the easy decision,lol...

#1,092      

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
If you could only have 1.....Kahlil Whitney or Christian Brown? I honestly can't answer that question.

In this theoretical world where both want to come and only one can..... Whitney. Perception reasons. Brown would solidify ties with Oak Hill which is a great thing to have but it doesn't do much to shut up a guy like MOB quite like Whitney would.

#1,096      

Deleted member 633632

D
Let's say, in a world where we land Brown, and Antwan January graduates and makes it thru the clearinghouse and suits up for the Illini...

Imagine what that does for your 3-5 positions next year alone. If you continue to build your roster around strong guard-play this is the game-changing advantage you can create in this offense when you load up on top end talent at the small forward - Center positions...

In an seemingly even stranger world where 2 of them were to be 1 and done's, you still have January and Giorgi + Samba giving you the flexibility to develop Tevian at the 3 in this offense...

Nexy year, in an ultra-bright scenario where Ayo is here for season 2.0, we would have so much depth and athleticism (two deep across the board) it would be frightening! Add Adam Miller after Ayo leaves and we're cooking with gas in back to back seasons!

Imagine a world where Illini football and basketball are good for back to back seasons 2 years in a row!! 👀

We would never get bored! 😂😂

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,097      

Deleted member 500209

D
Let's say, in a world where we land Brown, and Antwan January graduates and makes it thru the clearinghouse and suits up for the Illini...

Imagine what that does for your 3-5 positions next year alone. In an seemingly strange world where 2 of them where to be 1 and done's, you still have January and Giorgi + Samba giving you the flexibility to develop Tevian at the 3 in this offense...

Nexy year, in a scenario where Ayo is here for season 2.0, we would have so much depth and athleticism 2 deep across the board it would be frightening! Add Adam Miller after Ayo leaves and we're cooking with gas in back to back seasons!

Imagine a world where Illini football and basketball are good for back to back seasons 2 years in a row!! 👀

We would never get bored! 😂😂
I will not get sucked into this positivity.

#1,100      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Elon is going to pay Josh a handsome sum to place an Illini team on Mars.

Marvin approves.

tumblr_ln102zWV261qa2nnf.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.