Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,104      
Christian Brown used to be ranked much higher but had some injury problems and dropped off. He's back to full health. His ceiling is top 25 in his class. Would be our biggest get to date under Underwood.

Yeah its typical by recruiting sites to drop a guy down a lot after an injury. Perhaps we could be stealing a guy who’s really a 5 star but is pegged in the 60’s due to one setback, or the recruiting sites may have it right as or example Damonte dropped from the 40’s to high 3 star range after a torn ACL which judging from his play so far looks about right.

#1,111      

Deleted member 649710

D
Just watched top West Coast HS team Sierra Canyon. Four high major seniors + several likely high major younger kids. Crazy athleticism. Fun to watch.

#1,113      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Honestly, I’d still take Whitney due to the local connections and because he’s definitely a one-and-done (good publicity), but as he’s already committed to UK I’m eagerly waiting for the news about Brown’s visit to drop.

#1,114      
Honestly, I’d still take Whitney due to the local connections and because he’s definitely a one-and-done (good publicity), but as he’s already committed to UK I’m eagerly waiting for the news about Brown’s visit to drop.
I have seen Whitney play & dont think he is a one & done at all. I see at least 50 NBA & 15 G League games a year & I dont see him playing at either of those levels after a year of college. Why do you say "definitely"-just curious.

#1,115      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I have seen Whitney play & dont think he is a one & done at all. I see at least 50 NBA & 15 G League games a year & I dont see him playing at either of those levels after a year of college. Why do you say "definitely"-just curious.
Because I’m an optimist! If he’s in the O&B, definitely a one-and-done, haha. To be honest, between now and the 2020 draft, he’s has lots of time improve and capitalize on that huge ceiling. Also, if he were in Underwood’s system on this Illinois team, he’s going to be the main scoring option on the wing and the focus of the fast paced, high-scoring offense with multiple 4-5 star players around him. Lots of ingredients there for a potential high draft pick.

#1,117      

Deleted member 746094

D
Still feel like Whitney is a pipe dream.

I concur. Other than him not signing in the early period, which he has reaffirmed his commitment to UK publicly, I don’t understand why many on here still feel there is a possibility of him coming to the UofI? I would love to be surprised on this one, but the draft boards I looked at show the UK guys that would be infront of KW next year going in first round. Am I wrong? I don’t follow NBA at all.

We need to get Brown on campus. Watch a couple Oak Hill’s highlights from this year and you will understand why he is only getting 19mpg. They are loaded with talent. He could easily start and play all 32 mpg. I would argue he would be #2 player in IL in classes of 2019/2020. Right after EJ and in front of Adam Miller. He is a special athlete and looks to have tremendous skill.

#1,118      
I concur. Other than him not signing in the early period, which he has reaffirmed his commitment to UK publicly, I don’t understand why many on here still feel there is a possibility of him coming to the UofI? I would love to be surprised on this one, but the draft boards I looked at show the UK guys that would be infront of KW next year going in first round. Am I wrong? I don’t follow NBA at all.

We need to get Brown on campus. Watch a couple Oak Hill’s highlights from this year and you will understand why he is only getting 19mpg. They are loaded with talent. He could easily start and play all 32 mpg. I would argue he would be #2 player in IL in classes of 2019/2020. Right after EJ and in front of Adam Miller. He is a special athlete and looks to have tremendous skill.
Still feel like Whitney is a pipe dream.
There are things going on behind the scenes at UK that has him hesitant to sign. While it might still be a dream if a couple domino's fall it might become a reality.

#1,119      
Don't believe Whitney is a possibility either, nothing to substantiate this...Brown is a much bigger fish imo than even Whitney. Establishing and taking 2 TOP guys from Oak Hill (who year in and year out) producing 4-5* multiple position players almost yearly, is akin to if not a bigger deal than trying to land the top 1-2 guys from "just" Chicago every year.

I would even be okay with getting these 2 and following it up with the guard Cam Thomas (iirc), the following year with Adam Miller? Oak Hill pipeline can be more productive long term than the Chicago wannabe pipeline that is seemingly never paying off.

I have to believe that BU and OA specifically targeted this focus on recruiting, it just seemed to take some time to get legs. Getting a caliber of Oak Hill to produce and more importantly SEND players to Illinois annually will have huge dividends, and might even force some Chicago guys into a different mindset once we are winning again. I have to say I like where the staff is seemingly going here with our recruiting.

#1,120      

He has local connections yes, but he is and has been somewhat disconnected from that as well....not sure it carries the same weight as say getting a Parker kid etc that has been in Chicago the entire HS career.

#1,121      
“My family and I have truly found the best option for me to continue my development — not only as a student and a basketball player — but also as a man. With that said, I am thrilled to announce that I am committed to the University of Kentucky.” Kahlil Whitney

I think we should focus on other options...

#1,125      
“My family and I have truly found the best option for me to continue my development — not only as a student and a basketball player — but also as a man. With that said, I am thrilled to announce that I am committed to the University of Kentucky.” Kahlil Whitney

I think we should focus on other options...
Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.