Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,126      

illiniCA

DC Area
It sounds (from this board) like KW is going to wait to see the depth chart before committing to UK. I don’t know what if that means we have a shot but that seems completely reasonable for any recruit

#1,127      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Don't believe Whitney is a possibility either, nothing to substantiate this...Brown is a much bigger fish imo than even Whitney. Establishing and taking 2 TOP guys from Oak Hill (who year in and year out) producing 4-5* multiple position players almost yearly, is akin to if not a bigger deal than trying to land the top 1-2 guys from "just" Chicago every year.

I would even be okay with getting these 2 and following it up with the guard Cam Thomas (iirc), the following year with Adam Miller? Oak Hill pipeline can be more productive long term than the Chicago wannabe pipeline that is seemingly never paying off.

I have to believe that BU and OA specifically targeted this focus on recruiting, it just seemed to take some time to get legs. Getting a caliber of Oak Hill to produce and more importantly SEND players to Illinois annually will have huge dividends, and might even force some Chicago guys into a different mindset once we are winning again. I have to say I like where the staff is seemingly going here with our recruiting.

Winning will change a lot of perceptions about Illinois basketball. Winning big, more so. If they build it, we'll be a legit option for a lot of highly rated kids, regardless of where they're from. Our crew has the recruiting chops to git it done. Last thought: gotta be careful about characterizing recruiting success as pipelines, be they from Oak Hill, Oak Ridge, Canadian, Chi-town, etc.

#1,128      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
“My family and I have truly found the best option for me to continue my development — not only as a student and a basketball player — but also as a man. With that said, I am thrilled to announce that I am committed to the University of Kentucky.” Kahlil Whitney

I think we should focus on other options...
Whitney is not coming! Jeez. Christian Brown is our guy.
I'll make sure to send an email to the Illinois staff and let them know.

#1,130      
I love IL. A month ago BU and staff couldn't recruit their way out of paper bag. They get Kofi and are in on some other top talent and now they gods. Truth is probably somewhere in betwen.

I will say that if they get a top wing to sign, they will have done in two years what Groce couldn't until the year he was fired, and that is recruit positions of need.

I think Illinois is a challenging coaching job at present - one where you have to learn some lessons to be successful. Recruiting has changed a lot since Henson, and even since Self. Hopefully BU and staff are learning what will work today at UI. If they can get a Brown or a KW type wing, things be looking pretty good.

#1,131      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
I can see it now. BU and Co. land KW and CB. Illinois loses in Elite 8 next season. Coach K retires and BU gets plucked away from IL. Ironically, Groce has a great year next year, and we welcome him back with open arms to take over for Underwood. /s

On a serious note, it is nice to see the positive change in the mood on this thread. A lot of things seem to be happening right. I had a friend who is an alumni from Sienna talking about their 4-12 team this year, and how they just lost to some other team who only had 3 wins or so. It could be worse. We are getting better. Trust the process. Our coaching staff have been around and know what they are doing. They wouldn't be here otherwise. Love the national recruiting. Leaves a lot more doors/connections open for the future. We are on our way up.

Now let's get that W against Minnesota tonight! Keep those positive vibes rolling!

#1,132      

sacraig

The desert
Winning will change a lot of perceptions about Illinois basketball. Winning big, more so. If they build it, we'll be a legit option for a lot of highly rated kids, regardless of where they're from. Our crew has the recruiting chops to git it done. Last thought: gotta be careful about characterizing recruiting success as pipelines, be they from Oak Hill, Oak Ridge, Canadian, Chi-town, etc.

Something something Chin Coleman something Mac Irvin Fire...

#1,135      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
This! Because if the JT debacle has taught us anything it's that were not allowed to have our cake and eat it too! 🎂😎

Did someone say cake!!!???

Sandoval-fail.gif

#1,136      
KW everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, dont be naive
straight up I agree...I think a twisted argument can be made that CB plays more years than KW & may be better total value, but I think there are a few too many assumptions in that argument for my sake.

#1,137      
Christian Brown used to be ranked much higher but had some injury problems and dropped off. He's back to full health. His ceiling is top 25 in his class. Would be our biggest get to date under Underwood.

No way it's Wood's biggest get. Kofi is 6'10" 280 lbs. I doubt we ever sign a bigger guy than Kofi, lol. But seriously, if we get Brown, it's because we got Kofi, so Kofi is the bigger get. Plus, Kofi is a 5, a position that has caused us a lot of trouble.

#1,140      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
This is my take on KW as well as UK recruiting in general. Cal goes after the studs, the one-and-dones, the top 10 guys.

But he also goes hard after the 15-30 range as well, knowing that they will most likely be at UK multiple years and can use their experience and leadership to help the young guys along at times. Plus, they will probably commit faster.

However, the issue is that he pushes for a commitment from the lower ranked guys (15-30) to make sure he HAS a guy to fill that spot. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush sort of thing.

Then, regardless of whether Cal was upfront to that 15-30 level recruit about it, Cal continues going after that top 5/10 one and done.

Basketball recruiting is so unpredictable that even the allure of playing at UK might not work and Cal now has his backup 15-30 player still in the fold if a top 5 recruitment goes south.

Where KW comes in is that he is a top 20 guy probably being sold on being a one and done. Maybe Cal is still heavily recruiting another guy at KW’s position and to guard against being locked in to anything, he didn’t sign and now has the flexibility to get out if Cal gets his top 5 guy.

It’s a win/win for UK as they either get a top 5 guy or they get a top 20 guy and Cal will tell KW that he never really wanted the top 5 guy and that KW would have been starting anyway.

That’s my take on it and it’s why there are still “rumors” KW might not be totally sold on UK. The chances of it going our way are probably pretty slim though.

#1,141      
This is my take on KW as well as UK recruiting in general. Cal goes after the studs, the one-and-dones, the top 10 guys.

But he also goes hard after the 15-30 range as well, knowing that they will most likely be at UK multiple years and can use their experience and leadership to help the young guys along at times. Plus, they will probably commit faster.

However, the issue is that he pushes for a commitment from the lower ranked guys (15-30) to make sure he HAS a guy to fill that spot. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush sort of thing.

Then, regardless of whether Cal was upfront to that 15-30 level recruit about it, Cal continues going after that top 5/10 one and done.

Basketball recruiting is so unpredictable that even the allure of playing at UK might not work and Cal now has his backup 15-30 player still in the fold if a top 5 recruitment goes south.

Where KW comes in is that he is a top 20 guy probably being sold on being a one and done. Maybe Cal is still heavily recruiting another guy at KW’s position and to guard against being locked in to anything, he didn’t sign and now has the flexibility to get out if Cal gets his top 5 guy.

It’s a win/win for UK as they either get a top 5 guy or they get a top 20 guy and Cal will tell KW that he never really wanted the top 5 guy and that KW would have been starting anyway.

That’s my take on it and it’s why there are still “rumors” KW might not be totally sold on UK. The chances of it going our way are probably pretty slim though.

The problem is that Whitney is not just a top 20 guy who is being sold on being one and done. He is the 8th ranked recruit, and probably is a one and done.

#1,142      
If we get an official with Brown I imagine some crystal balls will trend our way and NC State will inevitably say “he gawn”. We’ve been down this path.

For what it is worth, the same thing happened with Kofi. All of the early CBs were in favour of UConn with a few going to Syracuse. Things quieted after the initial predictions, players were shuffled back into the deck, Kofi visited, and then the watershed of last minute CB picks or changes happened. If the Brown coup happens, this is likely how it will unfold...or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof.

I do sincerely hope that Brown suits up next year for the Orange and Blue. If certain optimistic views hold and Ayo stays for one at least one more year, January's grades meet the admissions criteria, Kofi signs his LOI, thereby making his verbal more than the placeholder that some have claimed it to be, and Brown follows him to Champaign, we will have immediate impactful depth in the frontcourt and the on wing. This will be coupled with mature, dangerous guard play, making outcomes no longer contingent upon the performance(s) of Trent..and now Ayo. We will finally have requisite personnel to close the games that we should have won this season and likely vaulting us into the top 1/3 of the B1G with loftier expectations not out of reach (not hyperbole or Kool Aid inspired drivel). Simply having a big like Kofi, who will only get stronger and a bit leaner whilst working with Fletch (which is a frightening thought), immediately improves our record and viability as a tournament team. However, the ability to pair him with an interchangeable group of January (whose talent and prospect of starting next year is most intriguing), Giorgi, Kane, and, hopefully, Higgs should have BU starting a twice-daily free throw sessions, as we will be seeing much more of the line next season.

Before Kofi committed and tweeted about bringing players with him, I looked at players who had/ have yet to commit and in whom we have offered/ shown interest and immediately thought of Brown. I am by no means saying that I predicted this, but it seemed logical, however unlikely, given Brown's stagnant recruiting traction, a guaranteed Spring signing to enable his stock to rise post-injury, and our initial interest followed by OA's presence at Oak Hill...particularly if Kofi committed. Fast forward to today, and Kofi has committed, albeit verbally, Brown appears to be back at full health and is scary good, and with Kofi on the record as recruiting players to come Champaign, the unlikely seems more plausible with each passing day. It would be nice to see this unfold and have them both sign their respective LOIs at the same presser, which would not only make for great fan fare, but would only help recruitment for future classes.

#1,143      
The problem is that Whitney is not just a top 20 guy who is being sold on being one and done. He is the 8th ranked recruit, and probably is a one and done.

FWIW....not sure he is a one and done at UK?

#1,144      

Deleted member 643761

D

First, glad he didn't sign. If for no other reason than it would be nice if top recruits like this made Cal sweat a bit.

Second, how's his season going so far? He wouldn't be the first guy to have a breakout summer and then level off to the point of being a 2-3 year player.

#1,145      
Fair points. I was just pointing out that he is more than a top 20 guy, and you would think that Cal is treating him as such. But I have no inside info.

Now in regards to who I'd rather have: KW or Christian Brown. The correct answer is obviously both. And if not that, then either one would be great. But if I had to choose, I'd say Whitney. But being able to watch Christian Brown play with his hair flowing all over the place would be great too.

#1,146      

sacraig

The desert
Grant Sherfield, former UCLA commit and Sunrise Academy player, has received his full commitment release from UCLA. One of the teams that has contacted him is Illinois. 6'4" wing

Talk about a guy whose rank has fluctuated substantially. He was Top 20, then in like the back up near the top, and now 129? Yikes.

#1,147      
Kentucky is loaded at the wings for next year with or without Whitney. If for some weird reason Keldon Johnson stays in school, it could get interesting. Is Whitney really going to wait that long to sign though?

#1,148      
Talk about a guy whose rank has fluctuated substantially. He was Top 20, then in like the back up near the top, and now 129? Yikes.

He was ranked due to AAU initially....multiple video show him to be no where near Top 20...he would be a fallback for us now, especially in light of our recent fortunes and the wings we have. No place at guard for him, and he is nowhere near athletic to play the wing/slasher type.

#1,149      
FWIW....not sure he is a one and done at UK?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2018.html

If you look at this list from last year...how many "wings" are turning going NBA and blowing it up? I know there are variables, where they land, need for money over being a new stud in the NBA vs the BMOC in college, there are always variables...not many wings are making it at 6'7" immediately anyhow.

Tatum in 2017 might be the last legitimate wing to go and he is on the bigger side as well....does Whitney=Tatum? If he does, does he = Tatum at UK for one year as Tatum did at Duke? He will not be the guy at UK no matter...that hurts his draft stock long term imo.

#1,150      
Kentucky is loaded at the wings for next year with or without Whitney. If for some weird reason Keldon Johnson stays in school, it could get interesting. Is Whitney really going to wait that long to sign though?

There is absolutely no benefit in signing an LOI if you're a top 10 player in the country. Just commit when you're ready and enroll for summer courses.

UK is going hard after Jaden McDaniels, and if they get him that is where things get interesting for Whitney.

UK can promise a kid things and then still go after kids like McDaniels, Anthony Edwards, Matthew Hurt, and Isaiah Stewart and that is where Whitney has the issue.

Whitney wants a place that is loyal to him, and a place where he is going to be getting a lot of opportunities to showcase his skills.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.