Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,176      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
IF we get Brown and all of the spots are locked up, AND Whitney decides to change his mind, you make a spot for that after he picks the beloved. I won't say what players I would suggest finding a new team, but that is the unfortunate world of big boy basketball and trying to get back to where we want to be.

I don't fault anyone on here who hates the idea of Creaning kids. I don't like it either. But KW is worth doing it for.

#1,177      
I am not sure you followed the point of what he said. The idea wasn't that we would turn down Whitney to somehow stick it to Chicago. The premise was that we go full-court for Brown now. If Whitney does decide to change his commitment at a later date and we are full, that's unfortunate but it's hardly a guarantee he would pick us. Even if he wanted to, showing we can (hopefully) succeed without bending a knee to Chicago would be a good thing. Right now, Chicago power brokers hold all the cards regarding our attempts to recruit their players because we've been bad for so long and need them more than they need us. The only way to change that is to win, and to do it in a way that shows we don't need to play their game because we are desirable in general.
If Whitney wants to play somewhere other than UK and we don't have room for him too bad. Maybe it would be a wakeup call to the Chicago kids that Illinois is in charge and makes the decisions on the roster not them.

I think you missed my point. I agree we shouldn't be waiting around for Whitney, he is a pipe dream at this point. But the implication that us saying no to Whitney or at the least showing him that we don't have spots, or him not having other options that are just as good or much better, or that this in any way would be a wake up call for Chicago isn't close to the way this will play out.

Winning hopefully comes & it will indeed put us in a better position, but good players will always have other options. I also have no beef with the Whitney recruitment that I would through it into the Chicago Power Broker narrative. The kid was obviously a Kentucky fan and enamored with Cal, we just lost this one to a program that he really liked.

#1,178      
Should be hearing something on a Christian Brown visit soon if it's going to happen. NC Staters think he'll commit any day now.

#1,182      

Deleted member 746094

D
So we have one scholarship left to give.

Current Committs- Kofi, January

So where do we stand with these guys and who do we get?

C. Brown, TSJ, Archie, Enartuna, Patterson(?) and Quinones(?)

To me KW is a lock if he calls Brad/Chin at any point and says he wants in. Just can’t pass on him for so many obvious reasons. Crean someone, redshirt someone, it doesn’t matter. He is the type of player at the wing we haven’t had since the late 80’s.

#1,183      
So we have one scholarship left to give.

Current Committs- Kofi, January

So where do we stand with these guys and who do we get?

C. Brown, TSJ, Archie, Enartuna, Patterson(?) and Quinones(?)

To me KW is a lock if he calls Brad/Chin at any point and says he wants in. Just can’t pass on him for so many obvious reasons. Crean someone, redshirt someone, it doesn’t matter. He is the type of player at the wing we haven’t had since the late 80’s.

You probably have it correct in the order of respective interest between program and player. The Brown recruitment seems to be gaining steam; TSJ has cooled a bit, but we are still in it (although I predict him to commit to DePaul...again); Archie, may be number two, but both sides have cooled and are waiting for things to unfold without prematurely entering into a relationship; the rest are all long shots at this point, which is both fine and a shame. If we are able to land Brown, I would call that a solid class complete with one-stop shopping for the two best players in our would-be class.

#1,184      
You probably have it correct in the order of respective interest between program and player. The Brown recruitment seems to be gaining steam; TSJ has cooled a bit, but we are still in it (although I predict him to commit to DePaul...again); Archie, may be number two, but both sides have cooled and are waiting for things to unfold without prematurely entering into a relationship; the rest are all long shots at this point, which is both fine and a shame. If we are able to land Brown, I would call that a solid class complete with one-stop shopping for the two best players in our would-be class.
TSJ ain't happening staff is done with it. Archie ain't happening either something happened there.

#1,187      
I checked out Luke Kasubke on You Tube today and he is vastly underrated- He is long and athletic with a great stroke, pure shooter- if he’s the 209th best prospect in the nation as 247suggests, I’ll eat crow the rest of my life. No way, he’s definitely top 100 and maybe cracks the top 50.i hope the staff goes all in on this kid and brings him to Champaign

#1,190      

JJB

Chicago, IL
247 has C Brown as having OV'd to Clemson, Georgia, & UNLV. Did he visit NC St?

"Like Anthony and Cockburn, Brown is an uncommitted senior. He's ranked the No. 15 small forward in the Class of 2019 by 247Sports.com, and lists Clemson, Illinois, Georgia and Pittsburgh among those recruiting him, but said UNLV is now out. He has taken officials to Clemson, Georgia, and UNLV, with two remaining."

Undecided Oak Hill SF Christian Brown Displays Athleticism At City Of Palms [Dec 19, 2018 ]

#1,192      
Maybe we need to recruit another stud scoring guard for 2019 class in case Ayo leaves 😡

I wouldn't mind the Fisher kid transfer from TCU if he could stay healthy...not a bad option from bench to replace a starting PG (Frazier/Ayo)

#1,194      
I wouldn't mind the Fisher kid transfer from TCU if he could stay healthy...not a bad option from bench to replace a starting PG (Frazier/Ayo)

He has had six major surgeries in the last 3 years. Five of those at TCU alone. and has had three surgeries on his right knee in the last year.

Hard pass.

#1,196      
I watch virtually all the UW games (both daughters and a son in law are Husky grads and we live on the Eastside near Microsoft). When BPJ played, it looked like the college game was a bit too fast for him at the moment—he has only played in five games, none since November. But, two points, first is that Coach Hop brought in a Top 10 recruiting class and none of the freshmen are playing. Hop has upper class men who successfully grasped his style (his 2-3 zone defense takes some time to get) when he came in last year and they are executing this year, the freshmen are getting time to adjust. Second, he is going up every day in practice against Noah Dickerson (and there is a 7’4” in state kid, as well), so he will be well prepared when his moment comes. IMHO he probably has great upside...but so does Samba who seems more athletic.

#1,197      

Flight#33

Flight#33
I am not sure you followed the point of what he said. The idea wasn't that we would turn down Whitney to somehow stick it to Chicago. The premise was that we go full-court for Brown now. If Whitney does decide to change his commitment at a later date and we are full, that's unfortunate but it's hardly a guarantee he would pick us. Even if he wanted to, showing we can (hopefully) succeed without bending a knee to Chicago would be a good thing. Right now, Chicago power brokers hold all the cards regarding our attempts to recruit their players because we've been bad for so long and need them more than they need us. The only way to change that is to win, and to do it in a way that shows we don't need to play their game because we are desirable in general.

Of course, I'd happily take both. Managing to some how end up with Whitney is still a very, very nice situation to be in.
Exactly, thank you

#1,198      
I believe the coaching staff should set their sights on Brown. If Whitney wants to play somewhere other than UK and we don't have room for him too bad. Maybe it would be a wakeup call to the Chicago kids that Illinois is in charge and makes the decisions on the roster not them. Getting a player like Brown is a win regardless of Whitney.

There is always room for a player like KW.

#1,199      
For those that want to check out Luke Kasubke, google Chaminade College Prep basketball and click on CSPN , aka Chaminade Sports Network, to watch the game with Soldan at 7:30 tonight. It is the school's TV network that Chaminade students broadcast the games.

#1,200      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I think the first 2020 kid on board is Luke Kasubke...he might even be on board before another 2019 recruit. Kid can fill it up and dad is a big Illini fan.

Didn't know that, thanks. Beilein has done extremely well bringing in great shooters. Kasubke has good length and should thrive in Underwood's offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.