Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,276      

Deleted member 654622

D
Must say that watching Kofi live is causing me to temper my expectations. I'm SUPER excited to bring a player as big and strong as he is into our program. BUT, he is pretty bad on defense is his feet are far slower than I expected (he will get torn up on switches when screened in college). However, you can't teach his size and I feel he is oozing potential with the right training and coaching. It would be so so nice if we can really grab a visit by Brown. I also understand why people think Brown has the higher ceiling than Kofi.
I was coming on here to say the same thing. Bro needs to get on them boards. Is he out of shape or does he not care cause he didn't get the ball? Has me disappointed

#1,279      
Hold up wait a min yes kofi look a little out of shape but if your wacth the what he did without a lot of touches is samething we had not seen in at Illinois in a LONG TIME plus he is 302 IBS if he would play defense hard he would of being foul out in the first quarter so just chill you heard with paul bicard(espn basketball recuiting guy) said if he work on his game a little more then he has a future in the league. Christian brown you can tell he was a fomer 5 star him and thomas (who played the best scorer in high school) put the team on there back if cole would've played oak hill win easty

#1,280      
That was a similar thought I had in the game thread. Kofi's defensive presence in the paint would have changed the dynamic of the game in the first half. Iowa was able to do anything they wanted inside in the first half that*I think* led to their confidence in the second half to make everything they threw up toward the rim.

Watched Kofi on ESPN tonight. He has a loooonnng way to go to impact a game.

#1,281      
Not worried about Kofi at all Fletch will get him into shape. You can’t teach that kind of size and strength, showed some skills too. He has the potential to be a monster
He has a nice touch for a guy his size. He’ll be 15 lbs lighter when next season starts. Having a player that can get you easy baskets is a game changer. I really hope Brown follows him . He’s a player.

#1,282      
I'm watching Kofi, too. Wow he is big! He does seem a little sluggish. Hard to judge how good he is when no one gets him the ball. Can you imagine Fletch whittling him down to a lean, explosive 260. I too will be watching Christian Brown now that I know number he is wearing.
The kid is 303 lbs and pretty lean already, muscle weights more than fat so I doubt he'll ever be 260 lbs. He well get more explosive though, and he was playing without his pointguard Cole Anthony who I'm sure gets him the ball. This wasnt a B1G game where there would be another big body to bang against. We finally get the kid we wanted with crazy upside and you posters here want to hate on the him. Fletch will work wonders with him though and will probably be on everyones scouting report as a freshmen

#1,283      
Okay so in our beloved ILLINI nation, usually, (and I mean like 10+years ago), when we sign anyone of significance, we find fault. However most of that said fault is in the tone of slow shot, weird shot, not athletic enough...and the big one, so and so looks like a freshman. Wait until said player bulks up, he will become this/this and this.

Now we have Kofi, and the responses are he needs to get into shape, bulk down, etc....I would much rather have it this way than waiting on a Tisdale type to go the other way after eating what 50 McDonalds burgers in a week? Fickle bunch we are...

#1,286      
Some thoughts on the Kofi/Oak Hill game
-A lot of selfish basketball by Oak Hill, Kofi had position anytime he wanted, they missed him a lot. Bacot is a top 20 guy and he was backing him down with ease.
-He has really good moves and good touch around the rim
- Trying to get through his screens isn't fun for his opponents
- Fletch and Underwood is going to be the best thing for this basketball career. Hes already dominant, but with better conditioning....watch out!
- Christian Brown is exactly the type of player this team needs, lets hope we can get that visit

#1,287      
Lol at so many of you taking offense to honest and factual posts about Kofi. The announcer also shared the sentiment that Kofi needs to get in better shape and improve his quickness. Piper and Werner have talked about him being slow footed and a liability in screens that force him to switch on a guard. My post in particular was still wildly optimistic in that we are getting exactly what we need AND that he has a ton of a potential. However, it's not unfair at all to say we should temper our expectations and realize that Kofi has a lot of work to do in order to be a stud in the Big Ten.

#1,288      
Watched Kofi on ESPN tonight. He has a loooonnng way to go to impact a game.

Agree, but he still scored 17-19 points against a top 10 player and a top team. He needs to increase his mobility, see him getting leaner. Pair him with Giorgi next year and we are cooking with grease.

#1,290      
Kofi not the rim protector at this point but an offensive force inside. BU said previously that all his pieces are different and Kofi fits that description as a contrast to Samba. Am curious to see his adjustments to defense with Kofi as I don't see the fit with his current system. One man is not going to raise us from last to first but it sure looks like he is collecting the pieces. Ayo, Trent, Georgi, and sophs Samba, Tevian, Alan should be enough talent to compete if we have the coaching.

#1,291      

Deleted member 654622

D
Not worried about Kofi at all Fletch will get him into shape. You can’t teach that kind of size and strength, showed some skills too. He has the potential to be a monster
I don't disagree with that at all. But can you teach "want to"? Either your a dog or your not. He is going to help this team, that is for sure. I am just saying that I was disappointed I did not see a dog in him

#1,293      
Kofi will be tough once he is under Fletch's training. For a big guy, his stamina was better than i expected. Attribute some of the sluggishness to his teammates missing him often inside. Look forward to his development under this staff.

#1,295      
Kofi has some holes in his game, but he is huge and I saw some pretty good offensive skills including some good footwork down low. He is going to cause some match up problems for other teams. He needs to work on some things but I think OA will certainly help in that department.

#1,296      

201154JC

Rockford, IL
TSJ doesn’t play on that IMG team he plays on the B squad....like junior varsity
Hard to understand why a high school senior would travel to Florida to play on the junior varsity even if it is IMG Academy, unless of course,
he's leaning toward Florida State. And, since it's -6 F here today, can't blame the young man.

I hope Antwan is able to play next fall. He is long and athletic. I think we will be quite pleased with his contribution. A front line of Kofi, Antwan
and Giorgi will give any team problems. Samba is starting to get it also. Looks like he could develop into a hell of a rim protector.

#1,297      
Hard to understand why a high school senior would travel to Florida to play on the junior varsity even if it is IMG Academy, unless of course,
he's leaning toward Florida State. And, since it's -6 F here today, can't blame the young man.

I hope Antwan is able to play next fall. He is long and athletic. I think we will be quite pleased with his contribution. A front line of Kofi, Antwan
and Giorgi will give any team problems. Samba is starting to get it also. Looks like he could develop into a hell of a rim protector.

If you look at Giorgi, his skill set, Kane, what will be his, Kofi, overall potential, and Antwan who might end up being the most versatile out of all, I would say our front line might be very well manned for the next 2-4 years.

Keep the guards coming, PG and versatile B1G's are the hardest to find, we have found them and hopefully still will...the athletic wing with Jones and player (s) to be named later has us going very much in the right direction...imo.

#1,298      
Kofi will be tough once he is under Fletch's training. For a big guy, his stamina was better than i expected. Attribute some of the sluggishness to his teammates missing him often inside. Look forward to his development under this staff.
The biggest de-motivator in basketball! One tends to lose one's intensity when one is not getting touches. One can try to stay motivated but, it generally doesn't happen even for the greatest competitors except, in the last minute or 2 of a close game..

#1,300      

201154JC

Rockford, IL
IMG has multiple levels of basketball, including post grad, HS, JV, and Middle School. Clearly, TSJ is on the post grad (he graduated Lincoln Park HS last year) team. The ESPN game team last night was the HS team.
Thanks TC. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.