Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
2020 Illini Signees
Coleman Hawkins (2020 PF), committed on September 21st, signed on November 16th
Andre Curbelo (2020 PG), committed on November 1st, signed on November 13th

2020 Illini Commits
Adam Miller (2020 G) commited on Thursday, November 21st

Regular Signing Period begins April 15th, 2020

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Curbelo is gonna make the offense run smooth. I hope we have him for a few years. Anxious to see the offense with a distributing point guard that still has to be respected scoring the ball.

Happy and ready for a new decade of Illinois hoops recruiting/basketball. Thinking this decade will be much better if we keep landing guys like Curbelo and Miller. Hawkins will be fun to watch, he has a ton of potential!

I can't find the source, but I remember one of the national guys saying Curbelo could possibly be the best college point guard prospect in this class. Of course the 1-and-done prospects are going to get national attention out of the gates, but Curbelo will be one of those guys that everyone in college basketball knows when he's an upper classman.

The best is yet to come for Illini basketball.

Well, it can't get much worse from the previous decade's standard.

giphy.gif

So, out of pure boredom this morning I decided to take a look at the 2004-2005 team, stats, recruiting and what not. One big thing that came to mind is every player on that roster was from IL, except for 3 (Deron Williams, Jack Ingram and Warren Carter-who were all from TX). What is everyone's take on why we cannot solidify IL like that anymore? Obviously, it is a much different game out there and we are not the same program with winning and recruiting, but do you guys think it also has to do with the amount of prep schools and/or lack of talent in IL overall outside of Chicago? I am not trying to argue, call out coaching vs. recruiting or bring any negativity, just really curious what everyone else's take is on this?

Last edited:
So, out of pure boredom this morning I decided to take a look at the 2004-2005 team, stats, recruiting and what not. One big thing that came to mind is every player on that roster was from IL, except for 3 (Deron Williams, Jack Ingram and Warren Carter-who were all from TX). What is everyone's take on why we cannot solidify IL like that anymore? Obviously, it is a much different game out there and we are not the same program with winning and recruiting, but do you guys think it also has to do with the amount of prep schools and/or lack of talent in IL overall outside of Chicago? I am not trying to argue, call out coaching vs. recruiting or bring any negativity, just really curious what everyone else's take is on this?

I know 2004-2005 doesn't feel like it was that long ago. But a lot has changed since then. No school can really expect to "lock down" their own state anymore. It is a smaller world for recruits every year. Their AAU teams travel more and farther. They connect with other players and coaches nationwide with no problem or expense through more advanced technology too. Plus, many kids are going to college not wanting or not expecting to be there for too long or know there always a possibility of easier transfer. It isn't as big a commitment as it used to be. The possibility that you might not like the school or an area of the country is less concerning. Recruits have a better understanding and more exposure to other lifestyles and climates and coaching styles. For a lot of different reasons, it just isn't as big a leap for a kid to go across the country to go play and there are more reasons to do it. TV is a factor too. Instead of watching local teams for the most part with some national games mixed in, recruits now can turn on TV or a device and watch just about any game. There isn't a connection to the state school like there used to be. ESPN hasn't helped by constantly pushing every blueblood school constantly. Things are a lot different and each coach has to expand their recruiting base too (unless you are a Duke or UNC and you pick and choose who you want).

Hey, don't forget about Nick Smith!!!

It seems to me that AAU ball gives a HS player much more exposure as they travel and more coaches see them. In addition there are more rating systems (at least that I see). This gives more coaches a chance to offer and reduces geographic boundaries. The emphasis on state players is more a tradition than a realistic measure of recruiting. This staff has done a great job of recognizing and recruiting talent. Still unknown if they can coach them imo.

Luke Goode taking a visit for the Purdue game this Sunday. 2021 kid from Fort Wayne, IN. Plays EYBL with Indy Heat. Also is QB1 for his HS team.

Staff has been on him hard, especially Gentry (Walker was the lead before the demotion). He has been here unofficially before.

He has lots of offers already, and will likely get more this summer. Hearing Louisville, Xavier, Maryland, Butler are the other main ones on him hard right now.

Believe both Chris Mack (Louisville) and Travis Steele (Xavier) are in for him tonight. He really likes both of those programs.

https://247sports.com/Player/Luke-Goode-46059371/

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Luke Goode taking a visit for the Purdue game this Sunday. 2021 kid from Fort Wayne, IN. Plays EYBL with Indy Heat. Also is QB1 for his HS team.

Staff has been on him hard, especially Gentry (Walker was the lead before the demotion). He has been here unofficially before.

He has lots of offers already, and will likely get more this summer. Hearing Louisville, Xavier, Maryland, Butler are the other main ones on him hard right now.

Believe both Chris Mack (Louisville) and Travis Steele (Xavier) are in for him tonight. He really likes both of those programs.

https://247sports.com/Player/Luke-Goode-46059371/

Do we have any link to him, like parents are alums or he played with ____? If not why would he come here with those other schools as options....

Do we have any link to him, like parents are alums or he played with ____? If not why would he come here with those other schools as options....
This is so sad šŸ˜¢

Why not Illinois? Remember that"we will win!"

His father played football at IU.

He likes BU. Gentry has been recruiting him hard. Likes the idea of playing in the Big Ten. Idea of being close to Indiana but not in Indiana is appealing to him.

Still think he winds up at Xavier or Louisville.

Status
Not open for further replies.