Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Size is definitely a major consideration. Magic Johnson isn't Magic Johnson if he was 6'0" tall. Honestly, Ayo isn't a draft prospect if he wasn't 6'5".

Unfortunately, in High D 1 athletics....size does matter.
Really believe quickness matters even more. Dee’s quickness made up for his size at the college level.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Can anyone give an informed list of the prospects that Illinois is realistically targeting for 2021? Luke Goode, Charles Bediako, Isaiah Barnes, Micawber Etienne, and Max Christie are all names I've heard, but not sure where the most resources are being spent by the staff based on who is realistic.

The shocking thing is a lot of people on here underestimated Kofi and we always overrate recruits, it was weird. I do like Hawkins though.
Hawkins will make a contribution next year but probably depend on matchups as well as the development of BBV. Miller and Curbelo will replace Ayo and Dre offensively but not defensively. Ayo’s length and Dre’s toughness won’t be that easy for frosh. Illinois is starting to create an identity and it isn’t about shooting. Wouldn’t have believed it last year.

Can anyone give an informed list of the prospects that Illinois is realistically targeting for 2021? Luke Goode, Charles Bediako, Isaiah Barnes, Micawber Etienne, and Max Christie are all names I've heard, but not sure where the most resources are being spent by the staff based on who is realistic.

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports...cle_318b173e-cf0b-582a-bab8-6283dca44097.html

My personal thoughts would be Bediako/Kepnang, Barnes/Goode, Meises/Bynum a combo of these as of now. Etienne and Christie are no ways and not realistic imo, maybe some of the ones I listed aren't either as of now?

I also forgot about Weston. Where are we on him?

Last I remember seeing anything about Weston was staff was in to see him play, He is an outstanding scorer and slasher, recently in a low scoring game he had 26 and Miller had 9. Morgan Park sends us Ayo, Miller(?), and then Weston...that would be a pretty good pipeline.

There will be plenty of guard position play available, and he does have prototypical SG size/game. So I would hope with his current offer (we arguably are the best so far), he would want to come here? He will be getting more high offers imo though.

I have a feeling Curbelo is going to be one of my favorite Illini's to watch in a long time. There is so much about his game that I'm looking forward to having on our team right now. He reminds me a good deal of the PG Carton for OSU right now, excellent handles, excellent vision, capable scorer, makes everyone better around him, floor general, and capable of making wow plays that gets everyone hyped.

I have a feeling Curbelo is going to be one of my favorite Illini's to watch in a long time. There is so much about his game that I'm looking forward to having on our team right now. He reminds me a good deal of the PG Carton for OSU right now, excellent handles, excellent vision, capable scorer, makes everyone better around him, floor general, and capable of making wow plays that gets everyone hyped.
Sooo funny that you posted this. I was meaning to post about how excited I am to have the bolded (using those exact words)heading to Champaign next year. Not to take anything away from Ayo, Trent or Dre but Cubelo brings something special that has been missing for awhile and with Adam Miller joining him I am almost giddy!

The only way Kofi gets sent to the bench is if he fall asleep on it, not going to happen.
I thought Hawkins was supposed to be the "sleeper".

BTW I like Hawkins a lot. He has good handles for his size. He'll need to build out his body but I think he will be valuable as a stretch 4 right away. It's amazing to me where were are with bigs this year compared to last year. Next year we will have bigs - Kofi/Giorgi/Hamlin/Hawkins/BBV. I like where we are headed. Add Curbelo and Miller in the front court, Grandison and Hutcherson join AG and Williams on the wing (still wondeing if Jones returns) and we have a pretty solid squad with some experience and depth....

Solid
I thought Hawkins was supposed to be the "sleeper".

BTW I like Hawkins a lot. He has good handles for his size. He'll need to build out his body but I think he will be valuable as a stretch 4 right away. It's amazing to me where were are with bigs this year compared to last year. Next year we will have bigs - Kofi/Giorgi/Hamlin/Hawkins/BBV. I like where we are headed. Add Curbelo and Miller in the front court, Grandison and Hutcherson join AG and Williams on the wing (still wondeing if Jones returns) and we have a pretty solid squad with some experience and depth....
Solid is a good term. Really believe improvement will have to come from the 3-5. Curbelo and Miller should match Ayo and Dre on offense but tough to match them on defense. (They are really good). Two frosh replacing a soph and a senior on defense is a difficult job. That said, it shouldn’t be a stretch to expect improvement from Kofi, Giorgi, Alan, Jermaine, and BBV. The addition of Hawkins is also not going to hurt. Throw in Hutcherson and Grandison and you pretty much have all the pieces. Have to go back a lot of years to find that much balance and talent.

Solid

Solid is a good term. Really believe improvement will have to come from the 3-5. Curbelo and Miller should match Ayo and Dre on offense but tough to match them on defense. (They are really good). Two frosh replacing a soph and a senior on defense is a difficult job. That said, it shouldn’t be a stretch to expect improvement from Kofi, Giorgi, Alan, Jermaine, and BBV. The addition of Hawkins is also not going to hurt. Throw in Hutcherson and Grandison and you pretty much have all the pieces. Have to go back a lot of years to find that much balance and talent.
Miller went to Manual, so he understands ball/you/man defense and Curbelo is really quick with quick hands, their D may be better than you expect.

We're going to be in it for Goode, doubt we get him he likes Xavier and Louisville more.

No shot at Bediako, or Christie. Both likely headed to Duke. Bediako could re-class.

Might get a visit from Etienne but we won't likely get him either as lots of offers are starting to come in.

Wrote all this a little while ago about a few guys the staff was after, but I'll post it again anyway:

1. Michael Foster: Plays for Mac Irvin Fire (EYBL). From Milwaukee, WI and plays HS ball at Hillcrest Prep. (https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Foster-46048914/)

Has visited here unofficially and taken an OV to Georgia

2. Brandon Weston: Plays for Mac Irvin Fire (EYBL). From Chicago, IL and plays HS ball at Morgan Park. (https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Weston-46039620/high-school-242603/)

Has visited here unofficially along with Wisconsin, Wake Forest and Seton Hall

3. Luke Goode: Plays for Indy Heat Gym Rats (EYBL). From Fort Wayne, IN and plays HS ball at Homestead. He is also QB1 for Homestead. Dad played football at IU (https://247sports.com/Player/Luke-Goode-46059371/)

Has visited here unofficially along with Maryland, Iowa, Butler, Xavier, Louisville, IU and Northwestern. Has taken an OV to Maryland.

4. Isaiah Barnes: Plays for Illinois Wolves (UAA). From Oak Park, IL and plays HS ball at River Forest. (https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Barnes-46085899/)

Has visited here unofficially. We are his best offer currently.

5. Nate Santos: Plays HS for Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, Connecticut. (https://247sports.com/Player/Nate-Santos-46057850/)

Holds other offers from TCU, Creighton, Drake, UW-Milwaukee. He actually just reclassified back in June to this class from the class of 2020.

6. Will McClendon: Plays for Dream Vision (Adidas). From Las Vegas. Plays HS for Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas. (https://247sports.com/Player/Will-McClendon-46049202/)

Plays for same AAU as Coleman Hawkins did. Has family from CU area.

Holds other offers from UCLA, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, AZ, and AZ State. Has taken an OV to Ole Miss.

This is just a generic personal opinion, but I think that recruiting qaulity depth at the C/F positions is critical to have “program” success. It doesn’t need to be highly rated guys, but capable ones.

it seems like most “good” teams play their top 3 PG/SG players heavily. The 4th plays enough minutes but its in a more limited or specialized role. It also seems like these players have a quicker learning curve towards productivity.

IMO, it seems like its best to just stack talent at the 3-5 positions and hope they’re willing to put in the work for a few years. Maybe you get a Mike Davis, Warren Carter, or a Giorgi, or an Ingram, etc. The Kofis are so rare, and it seems there are much more late bloomers compared to the true guards.

I’d love to see the illini get 1 or 2 plug and play PG/SG in each class, then just keep stacking the 3-5 positions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.