Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jordan Nesbitt is a guy i mentioned a while back that i really like. I cant seem to find anything that has linked any interest yet. I really hope thats not the case, because he is a really good player IMO.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Well done! He clearly does have Kelly Olynyk hair.
I was getting Jay and Silent Bob vibes
1579290102840.png

After watching the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions this weekend, there was a glaring difference from last year's event which featured #1 James Wiseman who did not disappoint. The contrast is that while last year's event included at least 3 7 footers, there was 1 player at 6'9" (listed) and no one else over 6' 8" who played much. The key was guard play, and speed was the word. The speed at which these kids play today is unparalleled,,,,and sometimes (key word sometimes) they take the ball with them. So many rules of moving with the ball seemed thrown out the window as players continually dribbled through traffic,(sometimes even getting through), shot floaters at full speed, (a few went in), and hurried shots from the arc while closely guarded (some ugly results with a lot of air balls). But body control and run outs made up for some of these blunders and some of these kids were pretty impressive...both in their ability to get to the rim and finish as well as hit fairly dependably from the arc. A couple of kids who were highly rated, on a Kansas commit, were disappointing. The other is not committed and a jr. who thinks he can make shots from over 10 ft.....but can't or at least didn't with any rate that helped his team. Perhaps the most impressive player I saw is and will never be rated...but he has a talent I have never seen. He shoots over 50% from 30-35 ft. Unfortunately, he plays on the same team as the 5 star who seldom gives up the ball and seems to want to initiate all shooting on every possession. I have seen kids. like the display Ted Dupay put on here when he scored 58, who will let it fly from 35 ft. but this kid is the only one I want shooting that shot every possession if possible. Unfortunately, he releases from the floor and does not shoot a jump shot but it is a lightning quick release. If pressured, his % goes down and he even shot a couple of air balls under pressure, but if I were the coach, the offense would have to get the ball through him on every possession. The 5 star kid would make fewer blunders forcing things in traffic and the team would score more points.....but Coach K is not on their bench making the decisions.

Overall, it was nice to see teams more avg. in height and extraordinary guard play from all teams. Oak Hill, unsurprisingly, won the tournament over Pope Paul VI, both schools traveling from Virginia to play here in Springfield, MO. as they do not play each other otherwise.

After watching the Bass Pro Tournament of Champions this weekend, there was a glaring difference from last year's event which featured #1 James Wiseman who did not disappoint. The contrast is that while last year's event included at least 3 7 footers, there was 1 player at 6'9" (listed) and no one else over 6' 8" who played much. The key was guard play, and speed was the word. The speed at which these kids play today is unparalleled,,,,and sometimes (key word sometimes) they take the ball with them. So many rules of moving with the ball seemed thrown out the window as players continually dribbled through traffic,(sometimes even getting through), shot floaters at full speed, (a few went in), and hurried shots from the arc while closely guarded (some ugly results with a lot of air balls). But body control and run outs made up for some of these blunders and some of these kids were pretty impressive...both in their ability to get to the rim and finish as well as hit fairly dependably from the arc. A couple of kids who were highly rated, on a Kansas commit, were disappointing. The other is not committed and a jr. who thinks he can make shots from over 10 ft.....but can't or at least didn't with any rate that helped his team. Perhaps the most impressive player I saw is and will never be rated...but he has a talent I have never seen. He shoots over 50% from 30-35 ft. Unfortunately, he plays on the same team as the 5 star who seldom gives up the ball and seems to want to initiate all shooting on every possession. I have seen kids. like the display Ted Dupay put on here when he scored 58, who will let it fly from 35 ft. but this kid is the only one I want shooting that shot every possession if possible. Unfortunately, he releases from the floor and does not shoot a jump shot but it is a lightning quick release. If pressured, his % goes down and he even shot a couple of air balls under pressure, but if I were the coach, the offense would have to get the ball through him on every possession. The 5 star kid would make fewer blunders forcing things in traffic and the team would score more points.....but Coach K is not on their bench making the decisions.

Overall, it was nice to see teams more avg. in height and extraordinary guard play from all teams. Oak Hill, unsurprisingly, won the tournament over Pope Paul VI, both schools traveling from Virginia to play here in Springfield, MO. as they do not play each other otherwise.
For a second I thought you were posting about a fishing tournament and picked the wrong thread.

Aside from that,...thanks for the recap.

For a second I thought you were posting about a fishing tournament and picked the wrong thread.

Aside from that,...thanks for the recap.
To top that I was just skimming and thought that was how Wiseman was biding his time until his name got called in June.

Springfield Mo huh? I'm leaving Peoria tomorrow to come there for work. Good to know there are Illini fans in Springfield Mo. Any good sports bar to watch the game Tuesday! Great info too by the way.

I really hope we can add am inside out guy that is good like Goode appears to be. I hope if that one of the guys sitting now steps up next season too. I think we will be very sold at the 1,2,and 3 with our recruits, existing roster those sitting and playing. I think we need Verdonk along with another guy so we have more guys that can guard inside and out. I havent followed it as much as in the past since most of the spots are filled but i hope we can find someone like that. I expect Hawkins to be ok but he isnt filled out enough to do the things i am referring to. Who else are we recruiting that could play inside and out at the 4? All you gurus id appreciate it because other than him who are we looking at seriously thats ia powerful inside outside 4? i Thanks in advance for your input and Go Illini!

Last edited:
Springfield Mo huh? I'm leaving Peoria tomorrow to come there for work. Good to know there are Illini fans in Springfield Mo. Any good sports bar to watch the game Tuesday! Great info too by the way.

I really hope we can add am inside out guy that is good like Goode appears to be. I hope if that one of the guys sitting now steps up next season too. I think we will be very sold at the 1,2,and 3 with our recruits, existing roster those sitting and playing. I think we need Verdonk along with another guy so we have more guys that can guard inside and out. I havent followed it as much as in the past since most of the spots are filled but i hope we can find someone like that. I expect Hawkins to be ok but he isnt filled out enough to do the things i am referring to. Who else are we recruiting that could play inside and out at the 4? All you gurus id appreciate it because other than him who are we looking at seriously thats ia powerful inside outside 4? i Thanks in advance for your input and Go Illini!
Skinny guys at NU can play inside/out, Hawkins can too. He has good athleticism and he's 6'10" and long.

Skinny guys at NU can play inside/out, Hawkins can too. He has good athleticism and he's 6'10" and long.
I want better guys than NU. Powerful guys like Purdue's Williams for example would likely own someone like Hawkins. The first thing we want Hawkins to do is get stronger and add mass. The fact that is what he will need to do is why we need someone to guard guys like Williams, MSU and Rutgers guys. I dont think Hawkins is physical type of 4 that could fill in at the 5 in needed for spot minutes. Our only guys that can attempt to guard a powerful 4 or 5 are Kofi and GB. We need that if someone gets hurt or in foul we are in big trouble. We need a guy that can shoot and play the 4 and fill in or play the college 5 spot.
Tomorrow Purdue has Harms and Williams and i hope GB and Kofi stay out of foul trouble because with Verdonk being hurt all year that is a match up problem for us. I dont thnk Hawkins would solve that but i hope i am wrong about that.

Who are we looking at that is physical thaat can play the 4/5?

Last edited:
6'6" Hutcherson a scoring combo guard had offers from Crieghton, ND. Marquette and others. I am anxious to see what impact he can have. Especailly after a year in practice. I think the potential impact for these transfers next season may higher than expected. I think one or even both may jump some guys and get into the rotation. 6'6" skilled guards should cause problems especailly if they are good shooters.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...tin-Hutcherson-2019-20-preview-137364195/Amp/
I agree with you. These guys are are all arounds players, size, handles and shooting, multi-skilled and long. Wood is way smarter than people give him credit for.

Sports bars all over the place. Just ask for recs near your location. Several downtown.

blackdog

Champaign
I want better guys than NU. Powerful guys like Purdue's Williams for example would likely own someone like Hawkins. The first thing we want Hawkins to do is get stronger and add mass. The fact that is what he will need to do is why we need someone to guard guys like Williams, MSU and Rutgers guys. I dont think Hawkins is physical type of 4 that could fill in at the 5 in needed for spot minutes. Our only guys that can attempt to guard a powerful 4 or 5 are Kofi and GB. We need that if someone gets hurt or in foul we are in big trouble. We need a guy that can shoot and play the 4 and fill in or play the college 5 spot.
Tomorrow Purdue has Harms and Williams and i hope GB and Kofi stay out of foul trouble because with Verdonk being hurt all year that is a match up problem for us. I dont thnk Hawkins would solve that but i hope i am wrong about that.

Who are we looking at that is physical thaat can play the 4/5?

Don't forget about Hamlin who is developing on the bench. He is a true 5 that will be able to matchup.

Don't forget about Hamlin who is developing on the bench. He is a true 5 that will be able to matchup.
I didnt. While i am more optimistic about some but i am tempering my expectation about Hamlin being a legitimate B10 5 that will play more than spot minutes like he has this year. I would have him as the second most likely to transfer. . I hope he surprises me.
I hope OA is looking for an additional 4/5 that i am not aware of yet. Any ideas who they may be looking at?

I didnt. While i am more optimistic about some but i am tempering my expectation about Hamlin being a legitimate B10 5 that will play more than spot minutes like he has this year. I would have him as the second most likely to transfer. . I hope he surprises me.
I hope OA is looking for an additional 4/5 that i am not aware of yet. Any ideas who they may be looking at?
Kouma?

Is still expected to be an Illini? I havent followed his development much at Juco but when I did it seemed a bit underwhelming. However I do think he would be an upgrade to Hamlin on the depth chart i hope we are actively looking for someone that could possible ability play either the 4/5 spots at the collegiate level.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Is still expected to be an Illini? I havent followed his development much at Juco but when I did it seemed a bit underwhelming. However I do think he would be an upgrade to Hamlin on the depth chart i hope we are actively looking for someone that could possible ability play either the 4/5 spots at the collegiate level.
There are probably others who know better than I but last I heard (probably on this site) Kouma himself still considers himself an Illini, or to have a scholarship waiting. Don't know about the Illini staff though. Would be interesting to get an official ruling on this. Is he or isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.