Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
Regardless of stars, I love that the staff seems to be offering largely players that are tall, even at the guard position.

Maybe that's a weird thing to like, I don't know.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Regardless of stars, I love that the staff seems to be offering largely players that are tall, even at the guard position.

Maybe that's a weird thing to like, I don't know.

Tall (usually) equals length. Length (usually) equals tough to shoot over and pass around and (maybe?) a higher release point.

I feel like this was John Belein’s bread and butter. I wouldn’t mind us replacing UM as one of the best teams in the conference/nation and consistently making deep runs in the tourney.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.

Saw this elsewhere:

Andre Curbelo 6-0
Andres Feliz 6-2
Adam Miller 6-3
Mark Alstork 6-5
Ayo Dosunmu 6-5
Alan Griffin 6-5
Mark Smith 6-5
Jacob Grandison 6-6
Austin Hutcherson 6-6
Tevian Jones 6-7
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk 6-8
Anthony Higgs 6-8
Giorgi Bezhanishvili 6-9
Greg Eboigbodin 6-9
Matic Vesel 6-9
Jermaine Hamlin 6-10
Coleman Hawkins 6-10
Samba Kane 6-10
Bernard Kouma 6-10
Kofi Cockburn 7-0
Adonis De La Rosa 7-0

18 out of 21 are at least 6-5.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Here is the latest mixtape I could find on Kendall Brown, it's from June of 2019 so the highlights are from his sophomore year. He's listed as a 6'-7" 180lb SF and averaged 17ppg for his HS team that went 28-4. At the time of the video he was ranked #14 for 2021 by ESPN and had offers from Baylor, Texas, and Minnesota. I'm no NBA scout so I'm not going to try to dissect the video (mostly dunks and blocks anyway) or make some wild comparison to an NBA Hall of Famer, but I think he'd be fun to see in O&B and would definitely help fill the hole we have at the 3 spot.
So, if you throw the ball against the backboard, to yourself and dunk it (spoiler alert), is that an assist, rebound and score? I guess it can't be both an assist and a rebound...... I guess I would go with assist and score, since it wasn't a missed shot.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
but Deron Williams something something...

One of these things is not like the other (from a HS prospect perspective). Christie is in the top 10, Williams was ~50. Christie is not going to be shut out of a ride at his preferred school(s).

Christie's dream school is Duke. For a loooong time.

but Deron Williams something something...
One of these things is not like the other (from a HS prospect perspective). Christie is in the top 10, Williams was ~50. Christie is not going to be shut out of a ride at his preferred school(s).

It was mostly a joke. People here have a tendency to use the exception to the rule as the rule.

Always thought Hardy was a pipe dream. Now, I have some hope. Hardy's brother pledged to OSU & Underwood. And Underwood has kept very close tabs on Hardy for a long time.

It will be hard to beat UK for him from what I was told.

They're on him hard, BU has known this kid and been watching him since 2015.

No info, but my bet would be Holmgren (or maybe Brown) flipping. Holmgren would see what OA and BU have done for Black, Giorgi and Kofi, and also that Kofi not going to be here 4 years. As for Brown, my thoughts would be UI as an option in case Kansas gets hammered by NCAA (not likely if past is a prelude) or Self leaves or both.

I'm still hoping for 2nd year Kofi followed by Etienne in 2021. I get that Holmgren is ranked higher, I just for some reason like Etienne more (obviously I'd be thrilled with either one).

So, you're suggesting Tchikou has a mental disorder? Also, Grubbs was 6' 8".

Sorry, I’m not familiar with Grubbs situation.

Just remembered when he and Terry Cummings were coming out of high school. From what I remember Grubbs was being touted as 6’10” at the time. Maybe reality set in at 6’8”. That was kind of the beginning of the slim tall forward that could handle a little and shoot. Grubbs was wirey and Cummings was power... It wasn’t as easy back then to follow recruiting before the internet!

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Sorry, I’m not familiar with Grubbs situation.

Just remembered when he and Terry Cummings were coming out of high school. From what I remember Grubbs was being touted as 6’10” at the time. Maybe reality set in at 6’8”. That was kind of the beginning of the slim tall forward that could handle a little and shoot. Grubbs was wirey and Cummings was power... It wasn’t as easy back then to follow recruiting before the internet!

Grubbs had a boatload of talent, no doubt. What a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.