Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I don't think were in the position to be picky right now. I haven't followed this one very close, but sounds like he was highly rated early in high school and has since leveled off. Not sure i would classify that as a project. Bottom Line:

WE HAVE TO HAVE LARGE HUMANS ON THIS TEAM.

He's a project, and BU doesn't want any more project bigs. You might think we can't afford to be picky, but in reality I think the bigger danger is taking a four-year player that the staff isn't confident can produce. In this offense, you can win a lot of games with a big that can defend, protect the rim, and rebound on both ends of the floor. I think we're going to see Underwood go hard after kids that can provide that right away on the fifth-year and transfer markets.

I can’t wait until we are low enough tier to get number one nba picks to come to our team.

Look at the Juco rankings (only one source of recruiting experienced players btw), those kids are sometimes kids recruited by large schools and not be able to get in. It doesn't diminish the talent level they have, and outside of a blue blood program, if our staff isn't looking here and anywhere else to possibly get a better player than a deemed "levelled off, dropped in rankings, not good enough motor...etc) than we have bigger issues. We are not blue blood hell we are barely warm blooded for some of our games.:chief:

hin10

O'Fallon, MO
Look at the Juco rankings (only one source of recruiting experienced players btw), those kids are sometimes kids recruited by large schools and not be able to get in. It doesn't diminish the talent level they have, and outside of a blue blood program, if our staff isn't looking here and anywhere else to possibly get a better player than a deemed "levelled off, dropped in rankings, not good enough motor...etc) than we have bigger issues. We are not blue blood hell we are barely warm blooded for some of our games.:chief:

:clappy::clappy::clappy::clappy:

We are not in the position to turn down Ebo type projects unless staff pretty confident impact bigs are very likely. Just can't go after grad transfer bigs, need to develop our own.

You misunderstood my point. I was suggesting that we are hardly in a position to suggest that other P5 teams are inferior.

You misunderstood my point. I was suggesting that we are hardly in a position to suggest that other P5 teams are inferior.

Misunderstood, thank you, my mistake. I just hope we get some athletes and bigs/wings that have experience. I do not mind missing out on Couisnard or BPJ if this happens.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Tyger Campbell narrows his schools to UCLA, DePaul, Maryland and Purdue

Tyger Campbell narrows his schools to UCLA, DePaul, Maryland and Purdue

Stays close to Midwest Maryland is the choice, wants to be taught by a PG, UCLA is the choice...Purdue and DePaul out. my CB.

Stays close to Midwest Maryland is the choice, wants to be taught by a PG, UCLA is the choice...Purdue and DePaul out. my CB.

Actually hearing some positive "vibes" from Purdue camps.

Imagine what Painter can do with a top flight guard like TC. He seems to get a lot out of lesser talented guards.

Tonight could be Jordan Goodwin's last game @ SLU, since the appeal response is due sometime the end of this week. If he is indeed expelled, things could get real interesting.:)

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Underwood visiting DJ Carton on Thursday. His recruitment is an interesting one. A lot of relatively down B1G programs involved; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. Believe he's kind of a combo guy, so not a huge area of need, but a very talented player that Chin has done a great job developing a relationship with.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Underwood visiting DJ Carton on Thursday. His recruitment is an interesting one. A lot of relatively down B1G programs involved; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. Believe he's kind of a combo guy, so not a huge area of need, but a very talented player that Chin has done a great job developing a relationship with.

At 6'1, he better have enough ball skills to play point.

kcib8130

Parts Unknown
He's a project, and BU doesn't want any more project bigs. You might think we can't afford to be picky, but in reality I think the bigger danger is taking a four-year player that the staff isn't confident can produce. In this offense, you can win a lot of games with a big that can defend, protect the rim, and rebound on both ends of the floor. I think we're going to see Underwood go hard after kids that can provide that right away on the fifth-year and transfer markets.

We are not in the position to turn down Ebo type projects unless staff pretty confident impact bigs are very likely. Just can't go after grad transfer bigs, need to develop our own.

So we just go into next year, hoping we can get a fifth year transfer? we've had several bigs turn us down already. I don't think we can say "we'll just pursue the grad transfer market" and assume we'll get someone. I understand wanting to have space for Okoro and/or Liddell, but if you watch the product on the floor, we have to have the size to compete now.

BU needs desperately to focus on guys like Mario McKinney and guards that can play this style of defense. Its a gimmicky brand of basketball and certainly not for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet he simply goes to play overseas then. And that would open up Gordon's recruitment again, I'd think. But I have no clue if he'd be interested in IL. Not long ago, it seemed as though Zo-Boy Martin had the inside track if Gordon left SLU high n' dry.

If Goodwin is expelled, no way he goes overseas, he will just sit out and transfers. Gordon is signed with SLU, so only way he is let go from his LOI is if Travis Ford leaves and that is a possibility.

Last edited:
I'll bet he simply goes to play overseas then. And that would open up Gordon's recruitment again, I'd think. But I have no clue if he'd be interested in IL. Not long ago, it seemed as though Zo-Boy Martin had the inside track if Gordon left SLU high n' dry.

If Gordon opens up, ILL will be an option for sure. Lots of programs will get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.