Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lest we forget Nimari Burnett. He's having a very good year at Prolific Prep. Remember it was not too long ago that he told Ked that he could see himself playing with Ayo.

Future Walk-On

Peoria, IL
Anyone else have an opinion on this?

How much does winning or losing a big game in front of recruits affect their attitude towards your school. I was praying we beat GCU in front of Okoro and very happy to handle Mizzou with Liddell in the mix.

Part of me also thinks regarding a loss a recruit might say "I am really good, and they need me to win these games."

How much does winning or losing a big game in front of recruits affect their attitude towards your school. I was praying we beat GCU in front of Okoro and very happy to handle Mizzou with Liddell in the mix.

Part of me also thinks regarding a loss a recruit might say "I am really good, and they need me to win these games."

I think we put more stock in it than it is worth. A winning program is easier to sell a recruit for sure, but an individual game doesn't matter as much. Players want to see the system they will be asked to play in, and who they will be playing with.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I think we put more stock in it than it is worth. A winning program is easier to sell a recruit for sure, but an individual game doesn't matter as much. Players want to see the system they will be asked to play in, and who they will be playing with.

I think it matters in terms of the fan environment a player sees. Bragging Rights is obviously it's own beast, but the GCU games could've been rough. That's a decent opponent that we could've lost to at home. Plus students are on break so SFC wasn't as at it's best (though the crowd was good given no students).

If I were in charge I would try to host recruits for important B1G games. Crowd is hyped with the Krush, and those will be good games — even if close loses. That being said, if a kid like Okoro says he wants to visit for GCU, you obviously don't turn them away.

And if the team loses in a "bad way" it cold reflect poorly on the system. So when Illinois lost a few years ago scoring 33 points, it probably hurt more than losing this year to Northwestern in OT.

I agree that recruits want a winning program, for the most part.

Future Walk-On

Peoria, IL
And if the team loses in a "bad way" it cold reflect poorly on the system. So when Illinois lost a few years ago scoring 33 points, it probably hurt more than losing this year to Northwestern in OT.

I agree that recruits want a winning program, for the most part.

Yeah sometimes I fear that even a 1 game "bad impression" can have long term effects.

UIHoopsRecruits‏ @UIHoopsRecruits 3h3 hours ago
UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted Rivals.com

Bossi says EJ Liddell poised to make one of the biggest rankings jumps in 2019; also mentions new offer Lester Quinones & Jaemyn Brakefield

Rivals.com‏Verified account @Rivals 5h5 hours ago

BOSSI'S BEST: This week, @ebosshoops focuses on HS sophomores & juniors whose stock is rising rapidly: http://rvls.co/Best0103

2020 PF JAEMYN BRAKFIELD IS A HIGHLY COVETED NATIONAL TALENT
Antonio Curro — National Recruiting Editor - NY2LASPORTS.COM

A Jackson, Mississippi native, Brakefield is a fluid 6-9 225 pound elite national talent with blue chip status and long term potential who is already making waves from coast to coast with his play. A solid athlete with plus length and an ability to face up and knock down the jumper from beyond the arc, Brakefield is far from a finished product and there’s a tremendous amount of clay to mold this national left-handed standout into a high major elite impact talent over the next few years.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4025

Article from early December

UNSIGNED 2018 SF DREW PETERSON MAY BE THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE MIDWEST

A solid athlete, Peterson sees the floor well but physically he’s far from a finished product with plenty of strength and explosion to be added at the next level making him an exceptionally intriguing talent who could see high caliber success at any collegiate level with continued development and maturity of both his physical tools and his skill package. In the same fashion that Frank Kaminsky (Wisconsin/NBA) or even a Taylor Bruninga (Illinois State) flew under the radars of a lot of schools only to prove their worth at the collegiate level, Peterson has a lot of similar characteristics and he looks and feels the part of one of those diamonds in the rough long term big picture wise.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4013

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Article from early December

UNSIGNED 2018 SF DREW PETERSON MAY BE THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN THE MIDWEST

A solid athlete, Peterson sees the floor well but physically he’s far from a finished product with plenty of strength and explosion to be added at the next level making him an exceptionally intriguing talent who could see high caliber success at any collegiate level with continued development and maturity of both his physical tools and his skill package. In the same fashion that Frank Kaminsky (Wisconsin/NBA) or even a Taylor Bruninga (Illinois State) flew under the radars of a lot of schools only to prove their worth at the collegiate level, Peterson has a lot of similar characteristics and he looks and feels the part of one of those diamonds in the rough long term big picture wise.

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=4013

Badgers_Badgers.gif

Joe Henricksen‏ @joehoopsreport Jan 2

A holiday tournament rewind –– from best team and player to the breakout team and player, along with biggest surprises and an All-Holiday Tournament team ...
https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/01/02/henricksen-holiday-tournament-rewind-2/

All-Holiday Tournament Team

Adam Miller, Morgan Park
The MVP of the Big Dipper led the Mustangs to a tournament title with a 23-point performance in a championship game win over Leo. The 6-3 sophomore and the City/Suburban Hoops Report’s top-ranked prospect in the Class of 2020, averaged 21.5 points and six rebounds a game while shooting the heck out of the basketball. Miller was 20 of 31 from the three-point line.

E.J. Liddell, Belleville West
The Hoops Report’s top-ranked prospect in the Class of 2019 continues to produce and lead his team to wins. In helping lead his team to a title at Centralia, the 6-7 junior averaged 21.7 points and 7.5 rebounds a game while adding 11 assists and blocking 16 shots in the four wins.

Drew Peterson, Libertyville
The uncommitted senior scored and distributed in leading the Wildcats to the championship game of the Wheeling Hardwood Classic. Peterson averaged 21.2 points and nearly five assists a game as Libertyville’s underdog run ended in an overtime loss to Niles North in the title game.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
It is hard to explain after watching yesterday's game how badly we need both Liddell and Okoro along with an athletic wing like Whitney.

If Kipper gets out of his funk the need for a wing won't be quite as bad but as of now we are desperate for those types of players.

Whitney measures in w/7'0.5" wingspan and can defend 4 positions.:thumb:

It is hard to explain after watching yesterday's game how badly we need both Liddell and Okoro along with an athletic wing like Whitney.

If Kipper gets out of his funk the need for a wing won't be quite as bad but as of now we are desperate for those types of players.

I think an athletic wing is almost as important for us right now. We also need a shooter. Tevian Jones or Whitney would be huge hauls.

I think an athletic wing is almost as important for us right now. We also need a shooter. Tevian Jones or Whitney would be huge hauls.

Speaking of Tevian Jones, he scored 47 pts last week in CC's 118-116 win over Taft in a defensive battle.:D

He can jump out of the gym. I watched them play ESL, Decatur Mac, and Springfield SE in the Holiday Tourney last week.

He was fouled on a buzzer beater against ESL and made 2 of 3 FT's to end the game. They were down 1 with 5 seconds left. Decatur has some athletes, but no one could guard him. He drove the lane all game and drew fouls (obviously).

Is Justin Boyd from Whitney Young good enough to get an offer? He sounds like one of the better shooters instate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.