Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thought he was misery bound....get him BU

Nope. Missouri has not been near the top of his list. Villanova and UConn have.

Gordon, the SLU commit big, is also on that team. He may be rethinking SLU these days.

Combes, just speculation on your part (regarding Gordon)?

No. Illinois has little interest in Ramey not because he isn't a very good player but because what we have now and coming in.

On Gordon there's a lot of conflicting information whether he signed or not. Allegedly he did as there was a ceremony for it with a pic of him "signing".

Keep in mind that doesn't mean 100% he signed and SLU wouldn't throw it out there if he didn't. I do think he did.

With that said I'd think the case with slu should give him an "out" on this. Multiple players involved in a case that would be his future teammates should give him the opportunity to say "look I'm not comfortable going here with this going on".

It's a unique situation but if a kid signs and then almost a 1/3 of the team gets suspended or expelled I think he should have the chance to reopen his recruitment.

I saw the Conditt vs Shaw video last summer and I was wondering who was the other player. If he can buy into 2 years of work to start seeing action as a back-up, maybe.

Regarding C Gordon, felt he never gave the Illini a chance to recruit him. SLU is a dumpster fire, bad record in a lower level conference. With 4 players banned from school for nearly 2 years or expelled. He should likely be given the opportunity to open his recruitment.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
At this point the 6'10" by itself will darn near do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It may be my lack of closely following recruiting but, it seems like other successful teams have been getting guys like this in their programs regularly. Some of them develop and some don’t. I look at teams that have several decent big guys they can rotate in and wonder where did they come from. I think it is guys like this they take a flyer on and it works out. I’m thinking teams like Xavier, Wichita, Butler, etc. Actually kind of jealous of what Weber has at KState in the bigs department. Few of them are scoring machines but, have the size and athleticism to defend and rebound successfully. Hopefully Ebo will be this type of player for us. Actually I haven’t given up on Matic yet but, think he is a different type of player with size.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
No. Illinois has little interest in Ramey not because he isn't a very good player but because what we have now and coming in.

On Gordon there's a lot of conflicting information whether he signed or not. Allegedly he did as there was a ceremony for it with a pic of him "signing".

Keep in mind that doesn't mean 100% he signed and SLU wouldn't throw it out there if he didn't. I do think he did.

With that said I'd think the case with slu should give him an "out" on this. Multiple players involved in a case that would be his future teammates should give him the opportunity to say "look I'm not comfortable going here with this going on".

It's a unique situation but if a kid signs and then almost a 1/3 of the team gets suspended or expelled I think he should have the chance to reopen his recruitment.

we have little interest in Ramey, huh ? might be news to the staff going to see him, huh ?

we have little interest in Ramey, huh ? might be news to the staff going to see him, huh ?

Ramey would work here, but IF Nova still has interest and I were him, I think the whole idea there would be best. I mean really, look what Brunson did here, we gave him the keys basically, he will be leaving....you should take over.

Now I am not comparing the two, just speaking of the sales pitch I would use.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Ramey would work here, but IF Nova still has interest and I were him, I think the whole idea there would be best. I mean really, look what Brunson did here, we gave him the keys basically, he will be leaving....you should take over.

Now I am not comparing the two, just speaking of the sales pitch I would use.

I agree....my concern was the poster saying we had no interest with Ramey...I think BU and staff have more important things to do than coming to see a player they no interest in...

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
OK, total speculation time. Recruiting Ramey doesn't make a lot of sense, at face value, anyway (i.e., he's not coming here). But his dad is a huge mover and shaker in the St. Louis AAU scene. Think our effort lies there.

As to Gordon, will he get out of his LOI? The kid is physically ready for the BIG. Pretty skilled too. Would welcome it.

OK, total speculation time. Recruiting Ramey doesn't make a lot of sense, at face value, anyway (i.e., he's not coming here). But his dad is a huge mover and shaker in the St. Louis AAU scene. Think our effort lies there.

As to Gordon, will he get out of his LOI? The kid is physically ready for the BIG. Pretty skilled too. Would welcome it.

You might be onto something...connections, connections, never know. I would take Gordon in a heartbeat if he is let out.

Ayo, Gordon, + 2, lose Alstork, Matic (doubt it), + one other? 1 year with system all primary players back. I look forward to ILLINI ball again.

If Gordon decides he wants out of his LOI, the SLU would be pretty callous to deny it given the circumstances.

Gordon will request out within 12 hours of Goodwin getting any punishment publicly. Maybe quicker. He will be allowed out I agree, where he ends up, I think ILLINI would have a pretty good chance, Mizzery isn't doing much better with their players this year or next it looks like.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Gordon decides he wants out of his LOI, the SLU would be pretty callous to deny it given the circumstances.

Indeed.

Gordon will request out within 12 hours of Goodwin getting any punishment publicly. Maybe quicker. He will be allowed out I agree, where he ends up, I think ILLINI would have a pretty good chance, Mizzery isn't doing much better with their players this year or next it looks like.

Agreed. It's clear that we have tons of minutes available, an appealing scheme and a VG group of guards. Hopefully, that will be enough. Definitely see us putting the full court press on, should he become available.

You might be onto something...connections, connections, never know. I would take Gordon in a heartbeat if he is let out.

Ayo, Gordon, + 2, lose Alstork, Matic (doubt it), + one other? 1 year with system all primary players back. I look forward to ILLINI ball again.

...follow that up with Okoro and Liddell, we could be right back where we were in the early 2000s.

It sure sounds like Goodwin is gone, assuming he's the one that was expelled, as per reports. The appeal can't be a we disagree with the decision, it has to be either a procedural error or new evidence. Rare to have that type of appeal won.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
It sure sounds like Goodwin is gone, assuming he's the one that was expelled, as per reports. The appeal can't be a we disagree with the decision, it has to be either a procedural error or new evidence. Rare to have that type of appeal won.

Goodwin is still playing so I really doubt it is him.

Where are you seeing Goodwin is the one that was expelled? I found this article from Wednesday that says he played in their most recent game, came out after the 3 suspended and 1 expelled made the news...

http://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article196308519.html

Where are you seeing Goodwin is the one that was expelled? I found this article from Wednesday that says he played in their most recent game, came out after the 3 suspended and 1 expelled made the news...

http://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article196308519.html

“The university hired an outside firm to investigate charges of sexual misconduct against those players, plus one additional unidentified player who has remained on the court with the team pending an appeal. The outcome of that appeal should be known in the coming days and could result in explusion for that player.”

Status
Not open for further replies.