Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true right? If they hold him to the LOI then he will have to transfer and sit, correct. If he's already enrolled in summer classes or received scholarship money from SLU then he'd have to transfer and sit.

But if they release him from his LOI tomorrow, they can't put any qualifications on that. Unless they changed that since Tilmon last year.

Tilmon was released due to a coaching change, that's why I said unless Ford leaves, Gordon is treated as a transfer even if he has not played a game nor received aid.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I actually think schools can put restrictions on it, or at least thats always rumor. Thing is, if a school does this (I think Miss. St. actually did to begin with) the media catches wind and the proverbial crap meets the fan. So school generally let them go freely to any other university.

Not on an LOI release. Only on transfers, except of the graduate kind, of course.

Evan Daniels just switched his crystal ball for Ramey to foggy and crystal balled Jahvon Quinerly to Villanova. He pretty much never crystal balls unless he has rock solid information. Do we have a legit shot / maybe we were watching him and not Gordon after all last week?

ILLINIFAN2

Des Moines, IA
Evan Daniels just switched his crystal ball for Ramey to foggy and crystal balled Jahvon Quinerly to Villanova. He pretty much never crystal balls unless he has rock solid information. Do we have a legit shot / maybe we were watching him and not Gordon after all last week?

YES!!!

Likely means Villanova is out...

He's visited Okie St and Texas already. UCLA visit is Feb 16th. Looks like the Villanova visit was scheduled for the 10th. Depending on when Jahvon Quinerly announces, I'd assume that visit will be cancelled.

Maybe we can sneak in?

Deleted member 11241

D
Had some free tickets given to me so I went to the Wabash Valley College game tonight and checked out Austin Trice. Illinois staff watched him a couple weeks ago. 6'7" forward avg. 13 pts, 13 reb/game (I think he leads the nation in reb.)

He didn't do much on the offensive end as he finished with 6 pts on 3-8 shooting, but I didn't think that was all his fault as the guards were not trying to feed him in the post. His points came from hitting the boards. He had 18 total, 5 offensive. He did miss 2 bunny putbacks in a row on the offensive glass that he should have made. But other than that he had a great night rebounding and also added 4 ast, 2 blk, 1 stl while committing no fouls or turnovers.

I wish I could have seen some of his post game. He is very athletic and rebounds well. A couple times after grabbing the rebound, he took off and started the fast break himself and made solid passes to the player down court. I don't know if we will extend him an offer or not, but if we do, I would gladly take him. His game needs some polishing, but from what I could tell tonight, he seems to have a good motor. I didn't see him sulk or complain when his teammates wouldn't pass it to him or when he didn't get a call. And when he missed those 2 bunnies in a row, he busted his tail to the other end and blocked a layup attempt. He can definitely play above the rim. I could see him being on the receiving end of some of those lob passes we have been seeing in this offense. We need someone that can finish those. Never hurts to have someone like him that can throw down a few dunks, rebound like crazy and get a couple blocks every game. We don't need him to score a bunch of points. I say go get him

Hey Gman what did you think of Olney Centrals Josiah Wallace? Heard the kid is a beast down there and is starting to get some attention. I watched him a time or two when he played for Marshall and always thought he had a tremendous feel for the game. He makes it look easy. Any chance Illinois might get involved?/

Ramey to Texas would be a smart move imo? :chief:

Hey Gman what did you think of Olney Centrals Josiah Wallace? Heard the kid is a beast down there and is starting to get some attention. I watched him a time or two when he played for Marshall and always thought he had a tremendous feel for the game. He makes it look easy. Any chance Illinois might get involved?/

Nah...he's a nice player, but we have guards that are much better.

Wouldn’t count them out. Guard situation is in flux with Andrew Jones’ recent Leukemia diagnosis, and arter grabbing a couple 5 Star bigs, might be about time for Shaka to reel in a 5 Star guard.

Deleted member 11241

D

I thought he was good but WVC done a pretty good job of containing him. He only had 11 pts. Don't foresee us getting involved as our stable of guards is pretty good

Don't know if he wants to play 2nd fiddle to Matt Coleman at Texas.

Finishing the class with Ramey, Gordon, and Tevian Jones wouldn't be too bad. (yes I know that requires a transfer, I expect at least 1)

Last edited:
says who?

All Mizzery as of right now. Liddell Sr. is a huge fan of Cuonzo, and wants his son to have the ball year 1. With Okoro and Liddell that would be hard to keep both happy, along with a SO Ayo and JR Trent.

Far from over, but just what is going on right now. If Okoro goes elsewhere, ILL becomes much more likely than before.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago

Finishing the class with Ramey, Gordon, and Tevian Jones wouldn't be too bad. (yes I know that requires a transfer, I expect at least 1)

We've got our own log-jam at PG with a likely Freshman All-B1G on the roster and an incoming top-30 recruit.

Unless Ramey is capable and willing to play off the ball, I'm not sure I really understand our pursuit here.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

That second part is the understatement of the year!

All Mizzery as of right now. Liddell Sr. is a huge fan of Cuonzo, and wants his son to have the ball year 1. With Okoro and Liddell that would be hard to keep both happy, along with a SO Ayo and JR Trent.

I have a hard time believing we lose the part about wanting his son to see the ball year 1 has to give us an edge over Missouri or just about any major conference D1 team.

Even if we get Okoro we have plenty of big minutes to go around & there is no promises young Porter or Tilmon won't still be around, plus any recruits Cuonzo adds between now and then.

Had some free tickets given to me so I went to the Wabash Valley College game tonight and checked out Austin Trice. Illinois staff watched him a couple weeks ago. 6'7" forward avg. 13 pts, 13 reb/game (I think he leads the nation in reb.)

He didn't do much on the offensive end as he finished with 6 pts on 3-8 shooting, but I didn't think that was all his fault as the guards were not trying to feed him in the post. His points came from hitting the boards. He had 18 total, 5 offensive. He did miss 2 bunny putbacks in a row on the offensive glass that he should have made. But other than that he had a great night rebounding and also added 4 ast, 2 blk, 1 stl while committing no fouls or turnovers.

I wish I could have seen some of his post game. He is very athletic and rebounds well. A couple times after grabbing the rebound, he took off and started the fast break himself and made solid passes to the player down court. I don't know if we will extend him an offer or not, but if we do, I would gladly take him. His game needs some polishing, but from what I could tell tonight, he seems to have a good motor. I didn't see him sulk or complain when his teammates wouldn't pass it to him or when he didn't get a call. And when he missed those 2 bunnies in a row, he busted his tail to the other end and blocked a layup attempt. He can definitely play above the rim. I could see him being on the receiving end of some of those lob passes we have been seeing in this offense. We need someone that can finish those. Never hurts to have someone like him that can throw down a few dunks, rebound like crazy and get a couple blocks every game. We don't need him to score a bunch of points. I say go get him

Thanks for the detailed report, Gman!!

Far from over, but just what is going on right now. If Okoro goes elsewhere, ILL becomes much more likely than before.
Just wonder how Liddell and Okoro together would be any more of an issue than Liddell and Tilmon together. I'm not the kid, but Illinois' future is much brighter than Missouri's at this time, I think. Of course, a few signings can change that.

One of Liddell/Okoro works for me. But we absolutely need one of the two.

Agreed. And that's an interesting take Indy, hope Lidell doesn't actually feel that way. Missouri's roster is going to be in a weird spot. Right now, their foundation is Tilmon, Johntay and Torrence Watson and not much else. Oh yeah, and Pickett. If Gordon becomes available, Mizzou is going to be in the lead for him so that might change Liddel's mind. And our base of Frazier, Smith, DaMonte, Ayo and Greg is a base I would much rather play with.

Deron had some great things to say in his presser the other night, one being that the 2005 guys really put NBA stuff aside and just played to win, which ended up getting the NBA's attention anyway. Deron was a top 5 pick, Dee and James had a cup of coffee and Luther had a 7 year NBA career. Something to chew on EJ!

Just wonder how Liddell and Okoro together would be any more of an issue than Liddell and Tilmon together. I'm not the kid, but Illinois' future is much brighter than Missouri's at this time, I think. Of course, a few signings can change that.

Plus EJ and Okoro play on the same AAU team and I've never heard anything about them not wanting to play together, actually I think I've read the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.