Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-February 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,127      

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland

It's pretty rough to overcome. Arizona has pretty much usurped UCLA as the real Blue Blood in that conference, just as MSU has eclipsed IU. UCLA and IU still have more history, but not anything recent enough for it to matter to this generation.

#1,128      
Would have to assume that Arizona has a much greater draw to Jones than Illinois does.
-Closer
-Much better program
-Much better weather

I'm actually not sure we have anything to offer that Arizona doesn't other than maybe quality of education?

#1,131      
I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, but **it's not ideal**

Also, can Kansas stop using us as it's own personal scouting service?? I swear if we watched a kid play in Indonesia, they'd do an in-home with the kid the next day.

Would guess previous Illini people on the KS coaching staff know us best and how to poach the system, but yeah, it's frustrating.

#1,132      
Would have to assume that Arizona has a much greater draw to Jones than Illinois does.
-Closer
-Much better program
-Much better weather

I'm actually not sure we have anything to offer that Arizona doesn't other than maybe quality of education?

Yeah, Deron Williams made a similar comment last week about transferring out Dec 1 when it got cold up here his first year. Am sure Trent Frazier had a similar adjustment this year among others. Just watched the Space X launch in FL & the first thing I noticed was people standing outdoors in T Shirts while it was 12° here in IL. :(

However, not sure how close he really is with Ayo or what he thinks of playing in BU's system. That may make a difference as well.

#1,135      
Arizona is still in some deep crap with the FBI

Not sure if that will be in our favor. Both Sean Miller and Brad Underwood were head coaches for assistants who have been indicted. So their liability as head coaches is pretty much the same. Now Arizona may have more liability as a school than Illinois (infractions happened at previous schools where BU was a coach, not at UI), but I am not sure if the FBI investigation is a big determinant of a recruit's decision, his rationale will include the logic of "let me eliminate a coach/school with possible FBI implications but commit to a coach/school with a little less liability." If the FBI investigation is a primary concern and determinant on the decision, he will avoid all coaches/schools with possible FBI implications.

Does not mean that player may not choose Illinois over Arizona, but I doubt that happens for a player who rates the FBI investigation as a primary concern/determinant.

#1,136      
It's pretty rough to overcome. Arizona has pretty much usurped UCLA as the real Blue Blood in that conference, just as MSU has eclipsed IU. UCLA and IU still have more history, but not anything recent enough for it to matter to this generation.

So Ariz. is a blue blood now even though Miller has never gotten them to the Final 4?

#1,137      
Yeah, Deron Williams made a similar comment last week about transferring out Dec 1 when it got cold up here his first year. Am sure Trent Frazier had a similar adjustment this year among others. Just watched the Space X launch in FL & the first thing I noticed was people standing outdoors in T Shirts while it was 12° here in IL. :(

However, not sure how close he really is with Ayo or what he thinks of playing in BU's system. That may make a difference as well.

We don't have nice temps in the winter in Illinois. Something we also don't have like Florida does......hurricanes.

#1,138      
I personally don't think Miller is all that great of a coach, he just happens to have a lot of Jimmy's and Joe's as a result of his recruiting prowess, so they are always talented. Miller doesn't seem to do as much with his talent as he should.

#1,140      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
They also recently offered a SG higher ranked than Jones.. DEVONAIRE
DOUTRIVE. So, there's that.
Doutrive does appear to be an AZ lean, but isn't Jones considered more of a small forward than a shooting guard? Either way, I doubt a Doutrive commitment would influence Jones one way or the other.

#1,141      
I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, but **it's not ideal**

Also, can Kansas stop using us it's own personal scouting service?? I swear if we watched a kid play in Indonesia, they'd do an in-home with the kid the next day.

It feels exactly like that

#1,142      

NJILLINI

Castle Pines, Colorado
He's originally from Chandler, AZ. I'm not sure what caused the transfer to Culver City??

Outstanding arrest warrants and a lack of extradition agreements between CA and AZ?

I kid, I kid. No idea on my end.

#1,143      

Deleted member 631370

D
I think that most people who follow college basketball consider Arizona a "fringe" blue blood. A step down from UK, KU, Duke, and UNC. But right there with UCLA and probably another team or two I'm not thinking of at this point. Some people would argue IU(ugh)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

In my view, in order:

Blue Bloods (this group is pretty clear, IMO)

Kentucky
Duke
North Carolina
Kansas

"Elite" programs that aren't necessarily blue bloods (though UCLA can probably still claim it)

UCLA
Michigan State
Louisville
Indiana
Arizona

Power programs (and the ordering of this group is very debatable)

Syracuse
UConn
Villanova
Ohio State
Florida
Illinois
Georgetown
Michigan
Oklahoma
Etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,144      
The infamous BrooksTaylorFan lock was no DJax, not Evans. By the time the Evans recruitment rolled around, and multiple other posters jumped to the "insider" fame game, BTF was really posting a lot less.

Of course, I can't believe I confused those!!!

#1,145      
In my view, in order:

Blue Bloods (this group is pretty clear, IMO)

Kentucky
Duke
North Carolina
Kansas

"Elite" programs that aren't necessarily blue bloods (though UCLA can probably still claim it)

UCLA
Michigan State
Louisville
Indiana
Arizona

Power programs (and the ordering of this group is very debatable)

Syracuse
UConn
Villanova
Ohio State
Florida
Illinois
Georgetown
Michigan
Oklahoma
Etc.

I truly don't understand why this continues to come up. UCLA and Indiana are 100% Blue Blood programs.

#1,146      

Kostas

Naperville, IL
I truly don't understand why this continues to come up. UCLA and Indiana are 100% Blue Blood programs.

Easy...those first 4 can pull 2+ (maybe 3+) 5* recruits in their sleep (on name alone). Everyone else on that list can't. Not saying that they never do, but requires a lot more attention being paid to those recruits.

#1,147      
Arizona is still in some deep crap with the FBI

It would a breath of fresh air to know BU is free and clear of any of this discussion, as well. The thing is with investigations, it could take a long time to determine the outcome. In the meantime, UI unfortunately remains potentially contaminated and at a disadvantage with recruiting, thus the mind-boggling feeling on the many missed on as to why they won't commit to us.

#1,148      

Deleted member 631370

D
Easy...those first 4 can pull 2+ (maybe 3+) 5* recruits in their sleep (on name alone). Everyone else on that list can't. Not saying that they never do, but requires a lot more attention being paid to those recruits.

Bingo.

Indiana has more national reach than we do in recruiting, but they can't swoop in last second and reel in 5* kids the way UK, Duke, UNC, and KU can. Frankly, the IU brand isn't even remotely on par with UK or Duke or UNC or KU, and we're talking 16 years since their last Final Four (and 31 years since their last national title). The history is rich, but most 17-year-old kids couldn't care less about Steve Alford or Keith Smart or even Calbert Cheaney.

One can make a case that UCLA is still a blue blood, but just the same......they can't swoop in and get 5* kids last minute.

All things being equal, I'd argue that IU doesn't have a tremendous advantage over Illinois in recruiting. Those first four schools, though......they'll beat us head-to-head 9/10 times.

#1,150      
There are only 4 true blue blood programs. It takes decades of serious success, i.e. multiple championships, perennial contenders. Something that spans more than a single coaches success (unless of course, that coach has been there 30+ years) is probably another good measure. Down years happen to every program, but blue bloods brush them off like they never happened.

There is another list probably 5-10 deep of schools who have enough sustained success to be considered great bball schools. They just cant compete with Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky. You might be able to make an argument IU and UCLA are just a touch about the rest, but I also think Arizona and Louisville (well until this year) could've also been in that 1B tier. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.