Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but they also lose 9 scholarships over the next 3 years. Makes it a little tougher to build a strong team, but i don't think that would turn Froling away if he really likes SMU the best.
So is he getting offer for one of 3 or 4 scholarships SMU hands out over the next 3 years?

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
So is he getting offer for one of 3 or 4 scholarships SMU hands out over the next 3 years?

The way I read that is that they could either have 10 scholarship players for 3 consecutive years, 4 scholarship players one year, or somewhere between. Going down to ten is #notideal but not the end of the world either. Most teams play 8-9 deep at most

The way I read that is that they could either have 10 scholarship players for 3 consecutive years, 4 scholarship players one year, or somewhere between. Going down to ten is #notideal but not the end of the world either. Most teams play 8-9 deep at most

It seriously limits them though. Most teams do indeed play 8-9, but they have 12-13 to choose from. I can't even imagine how it would feel if we currently had 3 less scholarships to give for then next 3 years. Obviously, Larry Brown is a big draw, but SMU is still not Kentucky to attract risk-free talent.

One thing for sure, it shows that they really think very highly of Froling.

It seriously limits them though. Most teams do indeed play 8-9, but they have 12-13 to choose from. I can't even imagine how it would feel if we currently had 3 less scholarships to give for then next 3 years. Obviously, Larry Brown is a big draw, but SMU is still not Kentucky to attract risk-free talent.

One thing for sure, it shows that they really think very highly of Froling.

Imagine them having an Illini-like injury ridden year or two in that span. Yikes.

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
Imagine them having an Illini-like injury ridden year or two in that span. Yikes.

I think they are having that this season, no? With redshirts, transfers and injuries doesn't SMU only have 7 scholarship players?

Jon RothsteinVerified account ‏@JonRothstein 5m5 minutes ago
2016 big man Harry Froling (Australia) has committed to SMU, source told @CBSSports. Pick-and-pop big man.

Jon RothsteinVerified account ‏@JonRothstein 5m5 minutes ago
2016 big man Harry Froling (Australia) has committed to SMU, source told @CBSSports. Pick-and-pop big man.

But it's only 5:45 in LA? Lol

Harry Froling ‏@HarryFroling
Happy to announce I have officially committed to SMU ����!!!! Excited to feel the moody magic and now I can officially #ponyup!!! ��⬆️

I think they are having that this season, no? With redshirts, transfers and injuries doesn't SMU only have 7 scholarship players?

Almost forgot about that. That's including 3 very huge senior contributors so I wonder how much they'like drop off next year. It still makes me sad that we missed on out Shake Milton.. Such a cool name and he's been having a fantastic season for a freshman.

Yes, but they also lose 9 scholarships over the next 3 years. Makes it a little tougher to build a strong team, but i don't think that would turn Froling away if he really likes SMU the best.

It will be interesting to see how the next few years go for SMU. They have been able to sign some pretty good players. I get the feeling Brown doesn't have the patience to follow the same rules everyone is expected to. Maybe he 'll set up Jankovic well or maybe he 'll bury the program.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Ah, damn. Froling's good. Would've loved to have him.

As to SMU, they're going to have zero degrees of freedom navigating through the next three years.

Sort of shoots holes in our excuses this year.

Good for Froling I guess. Would have been a nice pickup. We need as many big bodies as we can get moving forward.

Good for Froling I guess. Would have been a nice pickup. We need as many big bodies as we can get moving forward.

We've had injuries at key positions, and although they only have 7 scholarship players, they're strong at every position. Regardless, they're still doing some extremely impressive work down there.

sacraig

The desert

Yes, but they have Emmanuel Mu... oh, right.

We really figure out all kinds of ways to lose out on recruits....

Unless I'm mistaken, that was our last chance at filling a HUGE need of a big in this class. I guess we're rolling with Mav/Finke/LB.

:eek:

That 3 years of the messing with Darius Paul, may in hindsight have be the biggest mistake Groce made here.

That 3 years of the messing with Darius Paul, may in hindsight have be the biggest mistake Groce made here.

Paul and Cosby certainly blew up in his face. That, along with missing out on so many top PGs may be his undoing.

Eerily similar, substitute Richmond and Head above and you've got the same thing (kind of) with Weber.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Paul and Cosby certainly blew up in his face. That, along with missing out on so many top PGs may be his undoing.

Eerily similar, substitute Richmond and Head above and you've got the same thing (kind of) with Weber.
Minus a car crash and a player left for dead. Sorry, I went there today.

Status
Not open for further replies.