Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,404      

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
They would be HS 2016's and not transfers. Schools usually let kids out of their LOI's once a coach is fired.

Oops, didn't read your post carefully. I was wondering how many transfers we will take in general, due to same circumstances (or otherwise). But I suppose that's a question for the transfer thread. ;)

#1,406      

217sports

Springfield
Jordan Goodwin is the key to this class. Get him and they will come

#1,407      
Jordan Goodwin is the key to this class. Get him and they will come

200_s.gif

#1,408      
Curious if Simmons would have the same hype if he was at Duke or Ky.

I think brunson would have more hype here at illinois

Jalen may have had more local hype but he's starting on the #1 ranked team in the country. I don't think there's anyway he would be better off starting for a team in the bottom third of the B10.

#1,409      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Jalen may have had more local hype but he's starting on the #1 ranked team in the country. I don't think there's anyway he would be better off starting for a team in the bottom third of the B10.

We would be better than that if he were here, but your point remains.

#1,410      
Hearing of a domino effect to take place...oddly enough it will begin with Groce, then Tilmon...then wouldn't be surprised to see a massive haul for the ILL...

Cheers

#1,411      

DanvIllini

Super Lurker
Danville, IL
Hearing of a domino effect to take place...oddly enough it will begin with Groce, then Tilmon...then wouldn't be surprised to see a massive haul for the ILL...

Cheers

Ahh the super class we have heard about for a couple years. I had totally bought in (when will I learn?) but this year has been a disaster. I don't see it happening now. I do not hold it against Groce, but I think that these kids might go somewhere a little safer. The kids aren't even reported as a package deal (I know you aren't saying that). Kids that are rarely end up at the same school anyway. It's awesome message board fodder and I sometimes wonder if all of it originated there. I'm hopeful but nowhere near optimistic.

#1,412      

Cheers

Not sure what u mean by begin with groce...

Groce being let go is the only way I can figure that comment to make any sense in the context it's written, but that doesn't make sense considering those are recruits that he has been on for several years

#1,413      

TheSecretWeapon

ILLINI NATION!

Groce being let go is the only way I can figure that comment to make any sense in the context it's written, but that doesn't make sense considering those are recruits that he has been on for several years

could refer to an extension or public "vote of confidence" by Whitman

but it's just hard for me to be optimistic any more about these rumors.

#1,415      

It all starts with Groce...once he gets the nod, the chips will likely fall into place...

#1,416      
Ahh the super class we have heard about for a couple years. I had totally bought in (when will I learn?) but this year has been a disaster. I don't see it happening now. I do not hold it against Groce, but I think that these kids might go somewhere a little safer. The kids aren't even reported as a package deal (I know you aren't saying that). Kids that are rarely end up at the same school anyway. It's awesome message board fodder and I sometimes wonder if all of it originated there. I'm hopeful but nowhere near optimistic.

There's definitely been talks about a package deal in the sense that a few of the kids are liking the idea of going to the same school, in this case Illinois. The kids wouldn't attend as a package deal elsewhere though. I've been fortunate enough to hear some decent Intel from one of the 2017 recruiting circles. Not necessarily one of the kids that we'll get but the kid is in the top 10 in the state. I'm a lot more confident now that we'll get a pretty good 2017 class after what I heard. It's nothing new, but the rumors have been true that they're mostly waiting on Groce to get support as the coach for next year.

Normally I'm pessimistic about package deals and us getting our top guys but the difference here is that the kids aren't from Chicago. There's a more positive view on Illinois in their camps

Last edited:
#1,418      
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
It all starts with Groce...once he gets the nod, the chips will likely fall into place...

Thanks for the clarification, that was the obvious other scenario, but it's nice to have you come out and say it.

That being said, kinda hard to believe considering these types of things get hinted at every year, and then recruiting happens...

#1,419      
Thanks for the clarification, that was the obvious other scenario, but it's nice to have you come out and say it.

That being said, kinda hard to believe considering these types of things get hinted at every year, and then recruiting happens...

obviously, its not the new AD's first order of business to stand on the rooftop and praise a struggling coach....however...once he gives Groce to legs to stand on....the chips should fall into place....and from what I understand, it starts with Tilmon (and one to two others in a possible package)....

#1,420      
There's definitely been talks about a package deal in the sense that a few of the kids are liking the idea of going to the same school, in this case Illinois. The kids wouldn't attend as a package deal elsewhere though. I've been fortunate enough to hear some decent Intel from one of the 2017 recruiting circles. Not necessarily one of the kids that we'll get but the kid is in the top 10 in the state. I'm a lot more confident now that we'll get a pretty good 2017 class after what I heard. It's nothing new, but the rumors have been true that they're mostly waiting on Groce to get support as the coach for next year.

Normally I'm pessimistic about package deals and us getting our top guys but the difference here is that the kids aren't from Chicago. There's a more positive view on Illinois in their camps

This coincides with what I have been hearing as well. I was pessimistic as well, especially about Tillmon, but from what I have heard, he is the one that actually wants this to happen as much as any of them.

Also, if anyone listened to Joe Hendrickson last week on Jay and Tay, he alluded to it there. He said even with this bad year, Illinois is sitting good with 17's.

There is a reason why everybody says it all starts with a Goodwin commit. There is also a reason why we have one commit already.

#1,421      
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

8507, You have a choice: You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

😄

#1,422      

TheSecretWeapon

ILLINI NATION!
obviously, its not the new AD's first order of business to stand on the rooftop and praise a struggling coach....however...once he gives Groce to legs to stand on....the chips should fall into place....and from what I understand, it starts with Tilmon (and one to two others in a possible package)....

i'm choosing to believe this for some reason (even though Cubit basically said the same thing last fall...)

#1,424      

Deleted member 556108

D
8507, You have a choice: You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

This reminded me of the photoshopped picture with Groce as Morpheus, handing Cliff Alexander the orange illini pill or the blue Kansas pill.

Didn't work for the last go around, but that picture should be a staple in our recruiting propaganda. It was very clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.