Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January-March 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,652      
What effect do Abrams and Thorne have on the 2017 class? As it stands, we'll have only seven players on scholarship for 2017, and that includes Leron Black.

They would have no effect since they would be gone.

Seniors: none
Juniors: JCL, DJ Williams, Finke, Jordan, Black
Sophs: Lucas, Nichols
Frosh: Williams, Pickett. 4 more available.

#1,654      
Not sure if this was posted on the board yet. TJL senior mixtape :thumb:

http://youtu.be/DHqc6juwPYw

Obviously needs some strength training but I like his shot. Not the highest leap and extension you'll ever see but it's quick and effortless. Good passer, has a feel for the game. Finishes well. Fearless! I think he's a great prospect. Glad to have him signed! :illinois:
Thanks for the link.

#1,655      
Does anyone know if we are in on Malik Williams and if so what does it look like with him?

While we're playing Dream Class we might as well go all in and hope for him to be a part of Damonte, Pickett, Tilmon, Goodwin, Verge and Malik Williams.

Dream Class.

#1,656      

EJ33

San Francisco
Does anyone know if we are in on Malik Williams and if so what does it look like with him?

While we're playing Dream Class we might as well go all in and hope for him to be a part of Damonte, Pickett, Tilmon, Goodwin, Verge and Malik Williams.

Dream Class.

I don't have any inside info, but his Crystal Ball is 100% Michigan State (5 votes). MSU has recruited really well in that area, so I suspect the pick is pretty accurate.

I don't see any bigs listed in 247 Sports beyond Tilmon and Williams. I hope the staff is looking for a 3 star big that we can get. Anybody know anything about other targets?

#1,657      
How about Justin Smith

It seems that we don't hear that name as much on here anymore. And it seems not as many are thrilled with Negron either.

Are their seasons not going as well, or is interest just not there?

Seemed that both were very high on Illini. If I remember correctly, Negron was a huge fan and Smith's parents are both UI alum??

:shield:

#1,658      
I don't have any inside info, but his Crystal Ball is 100% Michigan State (5 votes). MSU has recruited really well in that area, so I suspect the pick is pretty accurate.

I don't see any bigs listed in 247 Sports beyond Tilmon and Williams. I hope the staff is looking for a 3 star big that we can get. Anybody know anything about other targets?
Theo John and Derek Culver.

#1,659      

HisRoyalFrankness

Chicago, IL
It seems that we don't hear that name as much on here anymore. And it seems not as many are thrilled with Negron either.

Are their seasons not going as well, or is interest just not there?

Seemed that both were very high on Illini. If I remember correctly, Negron was a huge fan and Smith's parents are both UI alum??

:shield:

I remember hearing Negron was a huge fan growing up and I know both of Smith's parents went to U of I. Smith had 27 points about a couple weeks ago against Niles North and he had 18 points last week against North Chicago to help Stevenson clinch the North Suburban conference. I guess the interest just isn't there from the UI side? I don't get it really, I think Smith and or Negron would be great gets for us and they are both close with Monte, all being on the Fire together

#1,660      
I remember hearing Negron was a huge fan growing up and I know both of Smith's parents went to U of I. Smith had 27 points about a couple weeks ago against Niles North and he had 18 points last week against North Chicago to help Stevenson clinch the North Suburban conference. I guess the interest just isn't there from the UI side? I don't get it really, I think Smith and or Negron would be great gets for us and they are both close with Monte, all being on the Fire together

Maybe the staff feels more confident with more talented players?

#1,663      
#1,664      
This has to be an exaggeration. It hasn't been 9 million years.

Go back as long as this site existed and find all the in-state B1G-level players that wanted to be here who we slow played early in their recruitment because we thought we were on the verge of some landslide. Every single time we're sitting three years later wishing we had that guy. Even guys that didn't amount to anything great like Max Bielfeldt or Verdell Jones.

We have 6 scholarships to give out. 4 more! Take Smith and Negron and you still have plenty of room for Tilmon and Goodwin or whoever else.

The beauty of the Illinois job isn't the opportunity to take a lottery ticket on the Derrick Rose's. It's the raft of quality college players that we start with a competitive advantages on. Under Weber and Groce we have looked that gift horse in the mouth over and over and over and over again.

#1,666      

Deleted member 10676

D
But we have no idea what the staff is doing regards these players. Just because we don't talk about them on here doesn't mean the staff is slow-playing them or not interested. I've read that Louisville and Iowa State are starting to get in on Justin Smith so he's probably waiting to see what options he has. We can't pull a gun and say 'commit now' or I shoot your dog.
I saw Negron in person just 2 weeks ago and he had a real good game. But the opponent didn't have a player on their team taller than 6'3 not to mention starting 3 sophomores. I've seen him on the Cube several times and he's had maybe 1 good game out of 4.

#1,669      
Just because we don't talk about them on here doesn't mean the staff is slow-playing them or not interested.

True. But if we weren't tea leaf readers around here, what would there be for us to do?

All I know is, when Illinois locks up classes full of quality in-state talent early, they tend to do very, very well. When they try to shoot the moon, it has blown up in our face literally every single time over the past decade-plus.

#1,671      

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
True. But if we weren't tea leaf readers around here, what would there be for us to do?

All I know is, when Illinois locks up classes full of quality in-state talent early, they tend to do very, very well. When they try to shoot the moon, it has blown up in our face literally every single time over the past decade-plus.

Short of hiring a Larry Brown/John Calipari type name to draw in the big recruits, we need to be taking those guys early to ensure we build a consistent winner. If we continue on the current path we risk becoming a non-factor in recruiting. We are getting dangerously close already.

#1,672      
Obviously needs some strength training but I like his shot. Not the highest leap and extension you'll ever see but it's quick and effortless. Good passer, has a feel for the game. Finishes well. Fearless! I think he's a great prospect. Glad to have him signed! :illinois:
Thanks for the link.

Gotta remember TJL should only be a Junior. He is still growing into his body, and he has gotten remarkably stronger in the last 6-9 months. He's not a program changer by any means, but he is a very solid true PG. Come year 4, schools like a Wisky, Iowa, OSU, Purdue, etc...wish they had recruited him. Hell, Wisky tried to jump in late but he shot them down.

Smith has his eyes on bigger fish.

Goodwin would certainly qualify. He's not big but he's very gritty.

Getting him would be the true program changer for Groce, IMO. Gives Illinois an identity, and a true leader who is a bull and won't take no !!!! from anyone.

#1,673      
obviously, its not the new AD's first order of business to stand on the rooftop and praise a struggling coach....however...once he gives Groce to legs to stand on....the chips should fall into place....and from what I understand, it starts with Tilmon (and one to two others in a possible package)....

Could Tilmon possibly be in the bag already, and he was pushing for DM to verbal? I know, I know the dreaded silent verbal. The team would could build with silent verbals.....

#1,674      
Here's guessing we regret that hubris for the 9 millionth year in a row.

Difference being the 5th scholarship in this scenario (with Tilmon and Goodwin in the fold) would be house money at that point. If you already have your top 50 point guard, center and enforcer you can shoot big with that last scholarship.

#1,675      
Bingo--we need bangers.

Theo John and Derek Culver are bangers and we have a shot at them? We need at least one of them to commit.

Those types of players are the types of players that our program needs.

Sign me up.

New dream class:
Pickett
Williams
Tilmon
Verge
Goodwin
John or Culver for the final schollie.

...and we're back!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.